Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J-1 Internship Programme

• 19-07-2004 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Any one know about the J-1 internship programme? Apparently it lets you go over to work in the US as an intern for up to 18 months.
    USIT used to do it, but when I went it to ask about it, they said that they were no longer doing it.

Any information would be great!
    Thanks,
    Jenny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

i did it in nyc back in '99, there are a lot more restrictions now in america due to them going a bit mental on the border controls.

there was an article about it all on irish times a few weeks back: linky

but, im not in ireland anymore so i cant be of any more help than that. (other than: if you can, go!)

dw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Hey I did that! I actually did the J-1 summer programme while in college twice (97 & 98) and after completing my masters did the J-1 internship programme and stayed the full 18 months. Started in late 2001 and left in mid 2003. Great programme, once you are over there they don't check up on you so if you lost your job or whatever you can just get another one. Plus a lot easier to get a job with an 18 month visa as opposed to a 3 month visa. If this programme is still going I would strongly advise you do it while still youngish and free to roam. I would actually do it again in a second if I had the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

if i remember what that irish times article that i linked to says, i dont think the j1 visas for people who have just finished college are available any more.

ring the american embassy i suppose.

dw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

Ringing the embassy costs 1.90 a minute these days..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

As a final year student I was told I had only the option of a 'H2B' or something where they actually sign you up in a hard but legally better paid job than many have ended up with on the J1; Mind you this was just for the summer.

Try Vancouver Canada - kicks US butt. :D Im thinking of going back just for a holiday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement