Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ringtone ads on TV

• 19-07-2004 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Is it just me (good way to start a sentence) or are those ringtone ads getting evermore frequent on tv? Like ffs, every three ads or so! Same annoying sh*te, crappy chart songs in polyphonic version - wow here take my money! Who buys these things? And wtf is with that dancing hippo?

Everytime these ads come on, they make me want to hurt my face... with a big shovel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes and if knacker kiddies would desist from purchasing the pieces of crap, they would promptly go out of business.

Fools and their money...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

yes, they are getting more frequent, mainly on MTV (on the NTL basic channels, anyway). I once sat through an ad break in which every second ad was the same one for Mario Whysomethings latest song on ringtone... so that was about 5 or 6 of the same ads in the space or 2 minutes. Surely if the same company bought up that much ad space, they'd have the sense to advertise their entire range, wouldnt they??

Whoever's tone it is, though, its bloody annoying.

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dancing hippo, are these on MTV here now aswell? When I was on holiday in Spain we had German MTV and it was nothing but ringtone ads for about 10 minutes in every break. They had some stupid blue hippo on them and crap ringtones including the ringtone company's own logo-tune! "Einem super monats pakate von Jamba" or something stupid like that (my German is worse now than it ever was), over and over again, grrrrrr :mad:
    The 57777 one's on RTE and TV3 are bad enough, I'm glad I don't have MTV anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

i agree, on all the music channels it is a constant barrage of them. i also hate the way instead of using the euro as the currency of choice we have to listen to 'six YOYO'S a month'. listen out for it i think its the one with the sumo hippo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

God damn things. MTV and similar channels are pretty much unwatchable with this crap...

Maybe this post should be linked to that one asking 'What would you do if you had a gun'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

yeah the dancing hippo tone ad does my head in!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

It's little kids who buy these tones. They've nothing else to spend their credit on (I've never see them using their mobiles to talk, who would they talk to? mammy?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

they are the most annoying thing on TV at the moment,they seem to be getting more frequent over the past few weeks.I have stopped watching MTV because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

5 77 77

aww christ i hate these so much aswell. i've seen like two of them in a row and i wouldn't mind if they were like a different ad but they ain't same one arghhh.

they've spread to TV3 aswell saw one last night at around 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

That dancing hippo is bloody disturbing.
    They seem more frequent on the music channels (surprise surprise) but I think once per adbreak is a bit much, and when it's about 5, all in a row that's getting out of hand. Especially when it's the SAME ad 5 times in the one adbreak.
    If I had yo-yos I certainly wouldn't be spending them on that crap. It's a ripoff, I says. "Pay 6 yoyos and get however many tones! All but one of which you hate, and the quality is so bad you can't even tell the difference between them!"
    Ugh. -.-

Okay, venting finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It works out as three ads per bereakl.i ordered them before what a mistake took €9 off me after I cancelled my subscription and I only ever got one ringtone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by kmart6
    It works out as three ads per bereakl.i ordered them before what a mistake took €9 off me after I cancelled my subscription and I only ever got one ringtone.

i don't see the point in people buying ringtones i mean i got meself a usb bluetooth dongle and a bluetooth phone and downloaded a **** load of FF midi's and use them as ringtones same goes for wallpapers and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

whats the bloody point of personalising a phone??!!!....''oh i prefer the thing thats frying my brain to be blue with mario wayans ringtone''...those damn ads they are phucking life-shortening.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

if you have a phone with an email client you can just email yourself midi tones for just the cost of the gprs yoke ya use to get your emails...

same with anything else if you can find a photo you can email it to yourself.

so anyone who wants tones do that and we can drive these yokes outta business... and if you see a kid with one of those mario yoke ringtones...

...burn him :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

The ringtones business is BIG business, no matter how annoying it is. Everyone at some stage has at least made some attempt to purchase, or even changed the ringtone to another one, which has been pre-programmed into their phone.

Look at the facts :

Cost of Mario Wayan's CD single in the shops : Between 4.99 and 6.99

Cost of the average Ringtone : Between 1.99 and 3.99

CD singles these days have more than one track, sometimes about 4.

Ringtone sales are generating a lot of revenue, this is why we are bombarded with TV advertisements. Airtime is big money.

I have Airwolf as my ringtone, and I didn't purchase it, i was forwarded it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Thats is big money that they make of them- as for those ads on MTV for the ring tone king- if i every meet that girl who does all the talking in those ads - i will have hit her a smack for everybody who has to put up with them ads;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Nearly as bad is the ads in Jacks (you know the one over the urinals). I was in Kilkenny at the weekend and there was one advertising wallpapers. The most awful things I have ever seen. One that sticks out it a picture of a turd (a nicely curling one - kinda like an icecream cone) over the word "happens" - ie sh*t happens. Who the F*ck would want a picture of sh*t on their phone? And don't tell me some kiddy - cause it was in a pub - so there's obviously adults out there who think it would be the dogs bollox if they had a picture of a turd on their phone - what does your phone say about you? etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by PurpleFistMixer
    That dancing hippo is bloody disturbing.
    They seem more frequent on the music channels (surprise surprise) but I think once per adbreak is a bit much, and when it's about 5, all in a row that's getting out of hand. Especially when it's the SAME ad 5 times in the one adbreak.
    If I had yo-yos I certainly wouldn't be spending them on that crap. It's a ripoff, I says. "Pay 6 yoyos and get however many tones! All but one of which you hate, and the quality is so bad you can't even tell the difference between them!"
    Ugh. -.-

Okay, venting finished.
    AHH! finally someone ho agrees with me, that hippo is fucking disturbing!. Theres just something very...creepy..about it.
    And those bloody ads, 5 times per god damn ad break, i can hear each one perfectly in my head as i write this, its been ingrained on my brain, what crappy ass ringtone segues into the other, that annoying bitch who actually calls euros yo-yo's, the whole damn thing is in my brain, and i just know, when im old, suffering from alzheimers, as the faces of my loved ones fade, all ill remember is..."Text ring to 5 77 77 and get 6 ringtones per month! Just 6 yo-yo's a month gets you todays coolest ringtones!" *cue creepy dancing hippo*
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Ban this sick filth!!

Whoever gave those ads the green light should be forced to watch them from now till they die as punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i didnt realise TV3 have started showing this ****. i was watching law and order last night and ****ing hell is all i can say

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

I think the most disturbing thing about the hippo is, if you look closely, he seems to be simulating different sexual maneuvers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

i didnt realise TV3 have started showing this ****. i was watching law and order last night and ****ing hell is all i can say
    There f*cking everywere now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Bombardment with advertising of this type is one of the main contributing factors to my not watching television anymore. It's no great loss though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Originally posted by Cerdito
    I think the most disturbing thing about the hippo is, if you look closely, he seems to be simulating different sexual maneuvers

such as smacking some "hoe's" ass!

in berlin at the moment and these ad's are everywhere....

Advertisement