Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

American ford Explorer

Options
  • 19-07-2004 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    any body know where or how to go about importing a car like the one above, I want an Explorer 2002 model would pay about €20,000 but would like some info on importing or any American car sales in Ireland?

cheers
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You might be better bringing one in from the UK rather than the US. There are lots of US car enthusiasts in the UK and a reasonably good selection of cars. Check out "Classic American" magazine, a UK based mag which covers all manner of American cars (old and new)

There's a guy on boards who is involved with US car collecting in Ireland. I believe he goes by the nick "sentenel" you could try contacting him.

But.....I don't know why on earth anyone would want a Ford Explorer. A terrible car in my opinion with very little to recommend it. If you're after a large vehcile to transport lots of people and stuff around, there are loads of cars around which are infinietly better than the Explorer.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Yeah i know some Ford cars from the states can be iffy at best, I was offerd though a Ford Galaxy from the uk 2.5v6 on a R Plate, mid nineties i think for 4,000

lovely car:D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by BrookieD
    Yeah i know some Ford cars from the states can be iffy at best, I was offerd though a Ford Galaxy from the uk 2.5v6 on a R Plate, mid nineties i think for 4,000

lovely car:D

R reg is '97 from what I remember. 4 grand's probably not bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I wonder how much a Ford SVT F-150 is

ford-f150-4157s.jpg
    I've seen two of them in Dublin over the last few weeks, fantastic looking jeeps..... or even better an SVT Focus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    R reg is '97 from what I remember.

An "R" prefix means it was first registered between August 1997 and July 1998.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

aah the good ol' ford explorer whose cruise control went through a phase of not slowing down when instructed!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sentenel

Hi BrookieD,
    Try the
    Auto trader website to find an Explorer
    Or try some of these:
    American car imports
    American carriage company
    Hilltop
    Spurr classics
    Goodalls
    Dave Boatright
    Bauer Millett
    As was said before get the Classic American mag and check out the ads, don't forget you'll be liable for VRT +Vat from America and just VRT from the Uk. Just run a search on the boards to get some info on Vrt or ring the Customs
    If you need any more info drop me an email and I'll explain in more detail about importing from the USA
    cheers
    joe

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I was just about to post with www.maac-ireland.com website as I thought someone their could help but now I see sentinel has already replied.

Myself I would love to by a classic Ford Mustang or even a new one, but it must be really expensive to run unless you use it as a show only car.

I used to work with a guy from the UK and he had a collection of American cars, a Mustang, a Cadillac and a lovely Black Pontiac Transam ala Knight Rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi sentenel
    I am moving toward a DayVan now, some of those pics are sweet,
    IF i buy a 16,000 stg car in uk and import here what would i pay for import or would a call to customs be better?

cheers
    D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Originally posted by Furp
    Myself i would love to by a slassic Ford Mustang or even a new one, but it must be really expensive to run unless yu use it as a show only car.

Not necessarily. I've been running American cars since about 1991. Admittedly I work from home so I don't do a lot of mileage, but running costs are really not that bad if you pick the right car, keep the engine tuned properly, and drive steadily.

As an example, one of the first I had back then was a '72 Pontiac LeMans, 350 cu. in. V8. I could average about 18 mpg (Imperial gallon), maybe only 14 or so around town but got it up to 24 one time on a long run. Spares were no more expensive than for many modern European cars. Insurance ran me about £110 per year at that time (full no-claim, aged 25). Equivalent insurance now (age 38, still full no-claim) is about £200.

Wouldn't want to have paid the Irish road tax rates on that size engine though! I looked it up and it was about IR £880 at that time as I recall! :eek: Be OK now in the 30-year-old vintage category. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sentenel

Hi D,
    If you buy a £16,000 car and its 30 years old or over then you'll only pay 50 euro to bring it into Ireland, but if its younger than this then you'll have to pay VRT and the value of you car will be set by Customs.they also grade the cars by the condition of the car ie Excellent condition, Average and Poor condition.Guy I know is brining in a 79 Corvette at present and they wanted to charge him 6,000 euro VRT but he managed to get them down to 4,000 based on the condition of the car.
    Best to check with customs and get aguide figure before buying.
    American cars are cheap to run and easily serviced, parts can be got cheaply and quickly from the USA or UK. Cars that are over 30 yrs have cheap tax 50 euro and cheap insurance and there are plenty of cars in Ireland both old and new, last year we had 300 approx at our show and this year we look like getting over 400 American Truck, Bikes and Cars
    cheers
    joe

Advertisement