Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one know why eircom would be on about??

• 19-07-2004 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Dear user, the management of Eircom.net mailing system wants to let you know that,

Your e-mail account will be disabled because of improper using in next
    three days, if you are still wishing to use it, please, resign your
    account information.

Pay attention on attached file.

In order to read the attach you have to use the following password: *****

The Management,
    The Eircom.net team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

It's a scam - look how bad the grammar is.

Hmm. :rolleyes:

Tried contacting eircom? And don't reply to that mail...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

More likely a virus, if the attached is a .zip file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

as a rule of thumb, anythng that's impersonal ("Dear User" "Dear Member" "Dear <email address>" etc.) and that's signed non-descriptly ("Eircom Team" "Sales Dept." and so on) with an attachment is a virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by simonp1
    In order to read the attach you have to use the following password: *****/B]

scam or virus. don' do it. do, however figure out how to look at "full headers" in your email client and see what route the email took to get to you. If it didn't come directly from eircom, then it's misrepresentation. Headers can be forged though, so it isn't fail safe, just a reasonable place to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS.

Don't open it.

Think about it for a second, badly written message, badly signed message, requesting you open an attached file... all bad signs.

I got a very similar one a few weeks ago from the "ntlworld team" (except it said my account WAS disabled.. but if my acount was disabled, how would i have gotten the e-mail).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

simonp1, you very badly need virus protection software, because you appear not to have any, and are not savvy enough to know dodgy attachments, when you see them.

There is free-for-non-commercial-use virus protection software called AVG Anti-virus.. which you should use, if you don't want to pay for the likes of Norton or McAfee. Do keep the virus definitions up to date (the software will do that for you reasonably automatically).

The attachement is most definately a virus, a well publicised one at that, despite the doubt a couple of users have expressed here.

HTH

.cg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I wounder just how many EirCon users have been caught by this one doing the rounds, I get loads of these from the admin of mydomainame, funnily enough I am the admin of the domainame :D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

cheers I partly guessed it was suspect but the Eircom threw me off abit
    I have the latest mcfee product so it stopped the attachment

Advertisement