Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nethouse Tribes

Options
  • 25-03-1999 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

I regularly head down to Nethouse each Friday with a group of q2 lads to mix it up a bit on the lan for a few hours. They also have Tribes on each pc there, plus 12mb v2's for all smile.gif. Anyway, I was wondering if any of the Tribes players wanna come down some Friday for you know what...I've met most of the q2 players a good few times and frankly I'm sick of looking at the fe(ckers (no offense lads smile.gif, it would be nice to see some new faces down there once in a while...plus to play somthing other than q2ffa's for an hour or so, get a bit of a team game going if we have enough players. Myself, Teeth and Ehldas have played a game or 3 down there with the Nethouse lads (Coyote is the only one i can think of) and it was a laugh, spent about 5 hours nearly non-stop playing smile.gif. So if ur interested, Nethouse is on the right hand side of the Triangle, Ranelagh. It really handy cos theres a Taxi rank nearby, plus lots of off-licenses smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

no offence rob, but you will play tribes over my dead body while im in the nethouse.
    for one very good reason. we go there for the pings, believe me its not to look at your ugly mug either (no offence taken smile.gif)
    tribes doesnt depend that much on pings, so it would still be the same as playin over the net. whereas its a bit of a thrill being able to actually rail someone through skill than sheer luck with a ping of 50 instead of 150.
    so im afraid tribes is a no goer for what i call fairly good reasons. on the other hand, if everyone want s to play, then who am i to be a partpooper? and yes teeth, i still DO know how to play smile.gif
    whitewash

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I dont play quake nor do I care to but my problem with tribes and I know it is a national problem is LAG. The lag on IGN is woefull - over a 60 minute game we can be lagged for 5 - 10 minutes which while this could be great odds for quake is poo poo for a close tribes game.

Tribes does depend on pings, you need consistantly lower than 200 to be any good (playable up to 350 - 400 but lag and PL will eat you) which over the net is really hard to get with the current ISP service we get (eg with indigo at the moment I have a better ping to a US server in NY than to ign *HELLO*)

Now we have a good tribe the feeling is that we could do well if organised and we have good praccy

One more thing WW, I dont own the nethouse, you dont own the nethouse, team.ie doesent own the nethouse. The nethouse is a public service, a shop as it were. I believe there is 16 stations there and Tress and yourself and whoever (4 - 6 ppl) play quake every Friday. Cool good luck to yis. But if 4, 5, 6 even 10 of us turn up to play tribes and pay our money fair and square were gonna play, to be fair if worst comes to worst we can come to a booking PC's arrangement or 2 hour on and 2 hours off deal

at the end of the day its down to the blokes who own the place.

[what is our team name]vagga

oh and yea I'll go down tonite. My PC is outta action until Sunday so who is goin and at what time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

Hi guys,

I'm game to drop by, but it's unlikely for the next couple of weeks as I'll be outa town both weekends (sniff - no tribing marathons for me!) so, see ya on IGN!

btw, i use tinet & have no serious probs with lag on IGN.ie. I have a 56K v.90 USR sportster modem. I've noticed a couple of things :

1) upgrading to version 1.3 definitely has impacted my lag. I freeze for about a minute once every hour or so. This did not happen with 1.0

2) if any of you are using a winmodem, throw it out if you want to play online games. winmodems are notoriously bad for multigaming , in particular in fps-style games. Don't know the tekky details, but it has something to do with the winmodem using the PC's CPU to do some of the work.

my two bits smile.gif

is there not a **** load of quakers going to the nethouse tonite for DeV's birthday??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

V-E-Y

Teeth. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

hes right about the winmodems
    i have one...bahh but i have a PII400 so the cpu usage isnt too bad smile.gif and at least i cant tell by the noise when its lagged out and i have to reconnect or whatever haha
    mmmmm need a soundcard and a vidcard before modem methinks! hmm :/

SeP stayed in sep's crosshair too long
    "dont ever stand still near me beyatche!"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

get yerselves pace modems
    when i started playin q2 about 7 mnths ago, my pings were a nice consistant 450. then i upgraded to a usr winmodem and my pings dropped to 300,. then i upgraded to v90 and my pings went down to 250

and then along came a pace and it dropped me to 160.
    ta very much. mind you i still get rotten pl to quake.ie and ign. and why dont any of yis ever appear to be there when i log on.
    mind you, i still have loads of fun on the english servers smile.gif

Its nigh impossible to get pace modems in Ireland. The only place that sell them r game and they never seem to have them, when they do they sell out ultra quickly. So its over the net if you want one.

I got a v90 56k external multi modem (us brand) and on IOL my ping to IGN is circa 160, and to BW circa 220 - 245.

Advertisement