Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTSC ps2 game --> PAL ps2 game possible?

Options
  • 19-07-2004 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

is it possible ? like if one was to rip the iso and convert it to PAL ? so it works ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

You can get them chipped or at least you used to be able to so you could play imported games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i have my ps2 chipped some ntsc ones dont work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

http://www.megagames.com/ps2/ps2_patches.shtml

there dosent seem to be a generic pal/ntsc patcher like there was on the ps1 and the list seems to be updated very infrequently but its a start

Is it just the video mode which makes a difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

if NTSC doesn't work with the chip, maybe the TV's not NTSC compatable?

• Advertisement

No i have an Ntsc - Pal video mode changer that makes it work perfectly, so its not the tv, i think its my chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

what kind of chip is it? ive got a messiah2 and its booted everything ive thrown at it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Slap it on to a hard drive and see if it works

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    what kind of chip is it? ive got a messiah2 and its booted everything ive thrown at it

i think some crap, magic 4, i got it down while i was in asia, dirt cheap 20 euros or so, i asked for messiah 2 and he was like no magic 4 is the best and blah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have a PS2 with a messiah 2. When my PS2 worked it ran everything I tried to run on it.

It might be the chip being a little bit naff.

• Advertisement

I have it chipped and the 80gig hdd and no probs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

warezmonkey.jpg

tbh.

Anyways, console games have traditionally used the display frequency as a global timer. That's why PAL <-> NTSC conversions take so long and why one version might feel faster/slower than the other.
    I doubt this affects the XBox as it's effectively a PC inside, but probably would affect the PS2.

I'm doubtful as to mod-chips abilities to make the game display/play the same as it would on it's native region machine.
    Mod-chips might get it running, but you may well end up with corrupted graphics, colours and a resized screen/black borders/picture too big for the screen to show it all.

i'm no warez monkey anyways. i use the hdd to store my different patched versions of winning eleven 7 and soon to be 8

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm doubtful as to mod-chips abilities to make the game display/play the same as it would on it's native region machine.

Mod-chips display the game in its native display settings so it is displayed at 60 hz and in the proper size. Only problem is you need a tv that displays an NTSC signal but all new tvs do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Isn't there anything for PS2 like the freeloader for gamecube where you just pop a disc in and it unlocks it for different regions.

I really really want to play Suikoden 3(which isn't available on PAL and sequel probably won't either) but I really really don't want to pay some seedy illegal modder to break my machine.

you can get a crappy slide card, u slide open ur cd try after entering a cd and it lets u play different regions and "backups" , friends uses it, it looks like a pain. Some games dont work pour him but most do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Any idea whereabouts you could buy one? I was in the games shop under the bridge on Talbot street which is the only place I can think of that might do that sort of thing and they said the only option is chipping.
    Found the slide card on a website and it sounds like a far better idea, if I can find one for sale somewhere reliable.

Advertisement