Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

list of languages that are used to dynamically generate web pages?

Options
  • 19-07-2004 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

What languages are most commopnly used to generate web pages dynamically?
    I would hazard:

ASP
    VBScript
    C#/VB.NET
    Java (servlets)
    php
    perl

Any additions (or subtractions) would be appreciated. I'm more interested in getting a list of the ones that are used typically, rather than a comprehensive list.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

ASP is not a language, it is a programming interface for IIS, and pretty much any scripting language that can be used on windows can be used with ASP

Java Servlets are typically used for server-side business logic, JSP (Java Server Pages) are used for dynamic page generation

You could also add Python to the list..

It really depends on what server platform you are using (Windows, *nix, mac..)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Coldfusion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

TCL, server-side javascript (ASP), rebol, c++, sh (or any other shell for that matter) XML via XSL (does that count ?). In reality you can use almost language ... but I've seen (or used) all the above in use more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I presume that the way that list was put together was fairly arbitary.
    As hostyle said there are plenty to choose from. In many cases it's down to a combination of what the developer is most comfortable with and the resources they have to hand.
    Of course you can code badly in any of them, so the number of sites using a particular technology badly should not be taken into too much consideration

/me runs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by blacknight
    Of course you can code badly in any of them, so the number of sites using a particular technology badly should not be taken into too much consideration

/me runs

Right so. Whats the chances of BlackNight installing AOLserver on a box and letting me make a botch of it with TCL? :) I can pay, but not much :)

O right, thats off topic ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by hostyle
    Right so. Whats the chances of BlackNight installing AOLserver on a box and letting me make a botch of it with TCL? :)
    I wonder how many people Online.ie had at its peak working on tcl and AOLserver? :) It was great software back in the day. (And I do use TCL for page generation on some sections of my websites.)

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement