Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Error Message...

Options
  • 19-07-2004 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Earlier while browsing my PC throw a wobbler, I opened a new tab in Opera and it did'nt "show" it was there but the page I had on display would'nt clear it had got "stuck". I tried re-freshing the new page but it made no diff. So I closed it and every other page until finally the first page cleared then I closed Opera. Howver that was'nt the end of it, I tried to go to the Control Panel
    but again it did'nt display but it was open. Nothing else would visibly open either so I closed everyhting using ctrl/alt/delete method then -

"bang!"

and error message that read Can't find Explorer.exe Re-install Windows 98.

At which point it switched itself off. I waited a min or two, booted-up and all appeared to be fine. I updated my virus scanner and nothing to report, ditto a bot/trojan scanner. I fixed any outstanding issues in the reg with Regclean. Now I'm just hopping whatever it was won't come back.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

RAM problems / shortage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

People are still running Windows 98? Dear God, won't someone think of the children!

Have a look here Mike. Particularly result 4, which lists a few KB items that might be of help. Have a play around with them and let us know how you get on.

adam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are not using 98 without IE you can use 98lite / IEradicator to remove it.

There is also an option to use Win95 shell - explorer. exe and 4 other files, it's so much faster.

Also check the axel site sticky link somewhere for patches to Win98 for the 59.7 day reboot bug and emm386 patch to use higher memory and others that allow you to run windows 3.11 from the command prompt.

[edit]can't remember if it's win.ini or system.ini
    Shell=progman.exe :D

Advertisement