Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortaring & Team Damage

Options
  • 30-03-1999 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Re. mortaring & last night...

Um, let's see.

Teeth...
    Vagga...
    Terror...
    Brit...
    millions of nameless ones lying in ditches missed only by their weeping mums...

Yes all these poor souls (all these teammates) came under the incredible ChungKing's Crap Aiming Mortar of HELL Hammer last night.

My only comment - thank god one of those 'booting' scripts wasn't on the server & thanks for the understanding of my compadres in arms smile.gif

This thread references a thread I do not plan on posting in where accusations of team killing were flying about. Well - I LOVE TEAM DAMAGE! And my excuse for last night is that we play far too often with Team Damage off.

Team Damage, it seems to me, to be an essential balancing factor in the power of the mortar & opens up only one circumstance where placing a mortar in the middle of a gaggle of teammates is justified - i.e. in defense of the flag (such as in the broadside base). Otherwise, team mates have every justification to get ****ed off with indescriminate mortaring by a fellow team member.

Brit's Planet-Tribes.com has a good overview of mortaring in Artilley 101 - with comments focused on the intelligent & considerate use of mortars with respect to other teammates (i.e. do not plonk one down in the middle of a dog-fight between the enemy & one of your buddies - you may find it hilarious that you took both of them out, but your buddy probably won't).

Team damage is good - makes things more challenging. If you find a team member is killing you frequently with mortars, take a deep breath - it is probably accidental, especially on open maps like dangerous crossing - hell, i was lucky to hit anything!

Oh, btw. I said 6 hail mary's and 5 hello dolly's last night for those comrades in arms that fell under my fire last night - sorry 'bout dat guyz smile.gif

semper fi, doods

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

In all fairness there was a stage when I was killing teeth more often then the nme smile.gif

I reconed that, that game last night on dangerous crossing was the best ever (so far)- there was 5 or 6 attackers in the opp half all the time - we (tribe tux) were in defenseive dissary and through numbers, luck (and no little ammount of collective skill) our flag was capped only once.

What it points to is that defence is so important on some maps - ppl tend to rush foward when the game starts, there should be 3 - 5 ppl laying turrets, sensors, cameras

also talking is there any way to send all newbies (and not so newbies) a copy of brits mines 101.....

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

RE: dangerous crossings & big fuk off gun type thing...

I wholly reserve the right to chuck a mortor round into the wee base if a wee red fly guy is in there, if you happen to respawn in there and find a glowing green turd at your feet.. close your eyes it'll all be over soon..

Whats the story with ppl not returning their own flag to base.. I had to do it on numerous occations last night sad.gif worse on one occation I lumbered down the hill to get within a foot of the flag only to grab a closeup of Teeths feet as he nicked the bloody thing... nearrrrrragh (i luv / hate this game)

also I humbly apologise to all the friendlies I whooomphed into the beyond .. sh1t happens !

I forget who was doing air support on their base last night 12:30ish (2 big bases , tower in the middle) but he did a great job of shooting down hpc's etc frying guys on the roof, along with a heavy in the flag room life was rough (& short) for us poor attackers.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

btw.... dunno about you guys, but last nite was the best nite I've ever had in tribes in terms of FUN!

Man, from scarabrae, to broadside, to dangerous crossing - toe to toe combat, adrenaline, thrills!!!!

The final scores in most of those games (we won them all) did not justify the ferocity of the enemy - probably with a bit more organisation they would have done a lot better. I know on dangerous crossing it felt like we were getting hammered! Only later did i look at the score & saw teeth and the others had capped their flag 4 times...

here's to more nites like that - MAYHEM!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

AMEN!! to that brother, MAYHEM rools...

I gotta admit defending against a group of good / (persistant) attackers beats the sh1t outta hanging out in a flag room.

what a rush... more more more.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea chung yer right,

I was behind our base on dangerous crossing all night and it felt like were were getting rightly funked up. There were 5 or 6 things happining all the time. I'd kill a guy or chase him, whatever, and I'd get nuked from two different directions. I looked at the scores with 10 mins to go expecting 4 - 4 and it was 4 -1 - to me carnate was calling the nme have our flag constantly (I almost muted him smile.gif) they had a good offence, snipers in either side to med or hevys from behund and one or two hevvys from the front - all they were missing was someone wiht the sole intention of going for the flag all night no matter what ala teeth - if they had one we would have been in BIGGG trouble.

The mad battles proved to me that heavys are useless in the open shield or not. A medium with a energy pack is better - more wepons - can carry and inv or whatever ect.....

It proves to me that b4 EM go playing matches we need to get, at the very least, some defence patterns sorted of we will get raped by a organised tribe

[EMm]vAGGABOND

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Brit

Oh good - a subject I can talk about with some small degree of authority smile.gif -- that subject being mortars, the choice of the professional... lol.

I much prefer to have Team Damage on too. It certainly hones one's skills at long range lobbing and 'leading the enemy'.

In CTF missions, defence of our flag is to me absolutely paramount. If I see an enemy nip into our flag room, I will send all my mortars in after him, regardless of how many team mates are in there - after all, for all I know, you could all be lagged to hell and unable to react.

I agree - last nights games were immensely enjoyable - I do love that mortar turret on Broadside smile.gif

--Brit--

Okay here's the scenario...
    Broadside - i get in heavy 'V V G' I call out.

lumber...lumber...lumber...mortar jump - **** it I'm going side ways. lumber...lumber...lumber (climb hill) repair...repair...mortar jump ...**** it!!! screw it up again! damn - wuz so easy when i hosted my own game & practiced on broadside!!!

<sigh>

lumber...lumber...lumber (hmmm strange lack of enemies around)
    lumber...lumber...lumber
    climb hill, jump up platforms like a muppet. 10 years later, get to enemy base entrance ...lumber...lumber...lumber

huh. what's that noise (eeeeeeeeeeeerm) KAPOW!!!!!BLAMMO! GREEN DEATH CHILI!!!

Brit PTT has just kicked yer @ss with his mortar!

lol - I remembering feeling relieved when you tk'ed me with that mortar - at least i wasn't the only one doing it last night hahaha smile.gif

Exactly! I think if our enemy last night on dangerous crossing had a Dr_Teeth or fiend - anyone bent on single-minded flag capping we would have been trashed.

Teeth called out a lot last night for defense /turrets/cover (on that map) and, i think, was getting a bit annoyed at a number of points. We were quite disorganised, lotsa little dogfights in the area in front of our base. - damn it was fun though. I stayed defense about 50% of the time - did lotsa repairing (our base was continually trashed) - and was usually too swamped repelling the invader to place turrets. We also defended our base topside poorly - many times I found myself eating grenades while at the inv stat.

Definitely we need to practice but there is a difference from last nite (public) & what i hope to enjoy with an organised EM-tribe. I have no problem being assigned defense for the most part, as long as I know I will be backed up. I can't count how many times I've been the only bozo on snowblind looking after the flag - repelling invaders 2, 3, even 4 times once and being left without armor, without ammo, without support. What happens at that point is I either die during the next assault, or i get fed up with calling for repairs/invstat and inform my team i am re-arming & the flag needs defending - then 'thwip' there goes the flag...

In situations like that you're left with a f***-it type feeling.

So, for [EM] strategy, I will play defense when you guys want, I just want back up & just want to make sure we do the roles we get given & that everyone gets a chance to do offense from time to time.

- I also agree re. the heavy. It's worthwhile on certain maps to trundle over to the base if you can get a good vantage point; but you need backup from lite attacks. On yer own you are meat (we've discussed this before).

lastly (sorry for long post) I dunno about you guys, but I get a serious kick out of the V T E command. 'Enemy generator destroyed'. I did that a few times on broadside and also on scarabrae - mined the gens, repaired myself then sat back and made hamburger outa the next 2-3 enemies who come running down to repair the gens without even considering i might still be around smile.gif KICK @SS- I love trashing bases!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

dont worry about it....i TK quite a lot when I get a mortar, particularly when I'm on defence as I tend to go flat out to splatter the enemy to the four corners of the map with my mortar, regardless smile.gif. This is especially true within the base itself (flag Room, scarabrae being an example), where lots of team members crowd around u and its impossible, in the confusion, not to kill 1 or 2 of them if bad guys come knocking. So if u see a heavy with a mortar, stay well away from them if they are in the process of defending.

While we're on the subject of team damage, I saw a script on Planet Tribes thats supposed to make mines that only explode when the enemy steps on them...is this possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Cranky

Hey, I've been asked to leave the Irish Tribes community! But, before I go to play with people who KNOW what the fuk they're talking about: Why don't you all just get together in a circle jerk? Do you clowns EVER stop patting yourselves on the back for your mortarish savoir faire? I don't think so.... Don't bother replying, I'll be fighting against the HH clan, who, without blowing their own horns, actually seem able to just PLAY THE GAME.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

emm do the words "fu8k" and "0ff" spring to anyone elses mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ahhh no you mean I don't get a chance to play against the great Cranky. Your postings so far have really entertained me and confirmed my opinion that Yanks of full of Sh!te. Good Bye and please do not grace the Irish Servers again your not welcome.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

gandalf, sep, dont bother wasting your time with this guy....he seems intent on creating as much hassle as he can, ur just encouraging him. Ever notice that whenever he posts its just either to remind us all how sad we are and what a great "d00d" he is, or how cr4p everyone else is at Tribes. So he's going, big ****in loss x 12.

Advertisement