Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

svchost

Options
  • 19-07-2004 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

anyone know why when i go on the internet after about 15mins on the net i get an error message to do with svchost. i can still browse the web but i cant copy or paste or sae files until i reboot it happens on two of my comps even i try a fresh install oh by the ay its win2k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Bodan

You have a worm and its messing around with your computer.Your infecting all w2k users on your local net who arent patched up.So, its time to patch it

First thing to do is get a firewall up and block all unknown traffic on port 135.
    Second thing to do is scan for the worm/s on your system and kill them.

I havent delt with this in awhile but it think it might be the sasser worm or one of its variants.
    Check these out

Symantec Sasser Semoval tool
    How to remove the latest virus threats in Win2000

This should be help full as well

When the worm/worms are removed you need to install Windows 2000 service pack 2,3 or 4 and
    microsofts patch

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Sasser was the Lsass service. The SVCHost error is Blaster or one of it's variants.

Same procedure applies. Patch and run a virus scan in safemode.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

handy AV tool that targets both blaster and sasser.

Be sure to turn off system restore before scanning if you have XP or ME as a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Bodan

Humble apologise's
    I looked up my notes today and it was the Blaster worm
    Given the amount of worms back then it's easy to get confused :)

Advertisement