Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chewing gum disposal in pubs

• 19-07-2004 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

Having swapped a ten a day habit (marlboro lights) for a 15-20 a day habit (harpic flavor xtra) months ago i now find myself an innocent victim of the smoking ban, some collateral damage along with the innocent persecuted publicans.

Since the removal of the ashtrays, i now have great difficulty in disposing of the tasteless leather that results after 20-25 seconds of chewing. I've tried wrapping it and putting it in my shirt pocket for safe disposal at a later date, but having seen the devastation caused once these little packages hit the washing machine I've decide to pursue an alternative method of decommissioning.

Should I indiscriminantly stick it under the furniture, safe in the knowledge that it will be carried away by some hapless young wan on the knee of her debs dress or stuck to her tights, or wrap it and stick it in an empty bottle of drink? Surely there's a levy included in the price of the mixer which reimburses the publican for the expense of fishing my refuse out of his returnable coke bottle?

I've been using the latter method for the past while, but the thought has occured to me that I might be ruining entire batches of recyclable glass by contaminating it with toilet cleaner flavoured sap, and don't want this on my conscience. What should I do?

(The thought of eating it and carrying it home where it can't get stuck to clothing has just occured to me!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Swallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

With all due respect, Dr. Virgina R Claire, who seems infinitely better qualified than you, insinuates that it will kill me, though it seems i'd lesson the chance if I didn't wrap it before swallowing. Perhaps I'd be better off smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    Swallow.

Oh thats your solution to everything ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

I have been reduced ay some points to having to put the gum on a beermat, that I then fold up :dunno: why the hell did they have to get rid of ashtrays, wasn't it obvious the amount of people chewing gum would go up? I guess the only answer is to keep an empty beer bottle near by..

Folks i can tell yis from experience the best thing to do is put them in the bottles...

Not in the neck of the bottles mind cos when we're clearin the pub at the end of the night i dont want to be havin to stick my fingers into a bottle with yer sticky germ ridden (no offence obviously) chewing matter. Make sure it's right the way down...

*shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

design your own little ''gumbox'' which you can handily carry around with you and then pop the used gum into it. personalise it like they do with those annoying phones and kablamo.

Or if yis have one of those council belt ashtrays use them... at least they'll come in useful for something

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

What's wrong with sticking a bin or two in the places?

Mine goes into a tissue and then into my pocket atm, I'd like this "into the bottle" notion, but I buy pints :( .

Well if they put bins into pubs some customers might throw their bottles into them thinkin they're bein considerate i suppose and they'd have to be sorted through at night to return the recyclable bottles.

Lots more work involved anyway, easier to just have the staff collect the rubbish on the tables which unfortunately sometimes includes the chewing gum....

Just out of interest would your pint not taste crap if you were chewin gum just before it... I mean it'd belike brushin yer teeth before hand no?

Originally posted by SteveD

Just out of interest would your pint not taste crap if you were chewin gum just before it... I mean it'd belike brushin yer teeth before hand no?

Well generally I've been chewing it for a while so the flavour is gone. I only ever remember I'm chewing gum when I go to get a drink :) .

• Advertisement

i find what they say on the package interesting ''contains a source of phenylanine, excessive consumption ,may produce laxative effects''. who on earth will eat that much chewy?

If ya think about it wont eating enough of anything have laxative effects?

I mean its gotta come out some time...

i think its because of the additves ,you know the artificial sweeteners...that shyte aint good for you at all...apparently its 100 times sweeter than natural sugar...thats why anything diet is disgusting...and sugar-free polo's feel like metal in your mouth...they have an odd sensation

I remember I used to feel a bit "freer" in the bowel area after eating a bag of 100 golf balls (little chewing gum balls, addictive) YEARS ago.

yeh phenylalanine is part of an additive called aspartame which is proved to actually cause weight gain and is a relatively small cause of brain cancers. It's also, funnily enough, the sweetener in nearly all diet soft drinks.

I read an article online once about it. It's worse than saccharine which was banned or something but they won't ban aspartame. This website reckined it was cos of some US senate member who had a controling interest in the production plants that make aspartame.

I'd find yis a link but it's way too late to be researching stuff

ooh i remember them..i used to stuff a ton of them into my mouth and let the white colouring run down my mouth...i loved to disgust people....

yeh phenylalanine is part of an additive called aspartame which is proved to actually cause weight gain and is a relatively small cause of brain cancers. It's also, funnily enough, the sweetener in nearly all diet soft drinks.

i always try to avoid artificial sweeteners but they seem to be in everything these
    days , even stuff like noodles.......and juicy fruit is the only chewy with natural sugar..but its teeth-rotting goodness :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Keep the wrapper(if its the sticks) or get a tissue and wrap it up.

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    design your own little ''gumbox'' which you can handily carry around with you and then pop the used gum into it. personalise it like they do with those annoying phones and kablamo.

You just made me my first million.
    Patents Pending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

I have seen these on sale for smokers, small little pouches that are fireproof and have odour killers built into them so you can put your cigareete butt into the pouch and then dump them later, havn't seen them bene used though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Again, how could you chew 15/20 bits of harpic a day?! Thats rotten. Better than smoking though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

Ban chewing gum too \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

People moan about smokers in pubs? My pet hate is assholes sticking chewing gum to the underside of tables in pubs and ruining peoples clothes. And these assholes seem to be out in the pubs in droves since the ban: "Oh my clothes smell so good when I come back from a night out! I can wear the same t-shirt four days in a row now." Yeah, well I'm sick of sticking to the furniture... :rolleyes:

If you want to stop smoking, get a patch.
    If you want a tactile experience, get a Rubik's Cube.
    If you want to freshen your breath, get a bottle of Listerine

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

i find what they say on the package interesting ''contains a source of phenylanine, excessive consumption ,may produce laxative effects''. who on earth will eat that much chewy?

Clubbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just fold it into a beer mat. ffs, it's hardly rocket science...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Originally posted by impr0v
    Dr. Virgina R Claire,
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    People moan about smokers in pubs? My pet hate is assholes sticking chewing gum to the underside of tables in pubs and ruining peoples clothes. And these assholes seem to be out in the pubs in droves since the ban: "Oh my clothes smell so good when I come back from a night out! I can wear the same t-shirt four days in a row now." Yeah, well I'm sick of sticking to the furniture... :rolleyes:

You don't smoke by any chance, do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

We've all got our own antisocial habits CuLT...

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    Again, how could you chew 15/20 bits of harpic a day?! Thats rotten. Better than smoking though....

Habitually it fills the gap left by smoking. The stuff is addictive and the flavour now runs out so fast (i'm convinced they are steadily lowering the longevity of the flavour) that you find yourself popping a new one in within minutes.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ChipZilla

All fine if you bring a handbag out with you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Remove label from beer bottle, wrap gum.
    Originally posted by morlan
    Ban chewing gum too \o/
    Well they are going putting litter levy on it (like the plastic bags).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

Originally posted by Victor
    Remove label from beer bottle, wrap gum. Well they are going putting litter levy on it (like the plastic bags).

That levy will never pay for the removal of gum from the streets though. Didn't they have a gum buster machine in DUblin a few years ago? It blasts the pavement with ice and the gum come right off - leaves lots of clean patches where the gum used to be though...

and chewing gums lasts for ever....it just becomes part of the footpath....so all you see while walking along is a long plain of gravel with white freckles.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

One of the pubs I drink in in town has replaced the ashtrays with a container to put used gum.... I don't know why other pubs don't follow suit tbh

Advertisement