Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warner Brothers versus Disney

• 19-07-2004 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

Disney
    Warner Brothers
    Atari Jagaur

Which of these fine companies (used lightly) entertained you most in your sweet sweet childhood.

translation: Which made better cartoons...

personnally: Warner had better cartoons characters EVERYTHING...except animated movies, disney made great ones for a short period of time (Mermaid - Hunchback) and then got crappish again...

Mickey sucks btw one of the worse characters ever i think. Bugs Bunney is so much better

Who did you like more 38 votes

Disney (Mickey)
    0% 0 votes
    Warner Brothers (Bugs
    7% 3 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    92% 35 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Warner Brothers all the way. Given that I have about fifteen videos and DVD's of their cartoons as well as other bits and bobs of merchandise.

Disney are only good for overpriced theme parks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

Warner Bros win the short animated cartoon prize.
    They have Bugs & Elmer, Porky Pig, Daffy Duck, Marvin the Martian, Yosamite Sam, Foghorn Leghorn Pepe la Pew, Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote, Silvester & Tweety, Taz, Pinky & the Brain, Animaniacs, Yosemite Sam.
    My memory ain't the best... I'm sure there's lots more.

Disney win the feature length animation prize.
    They produced the first ever feature length animated movie, Snow White, in 1937.
    Other classics include Jungle Book, Pinochio, Cinderella, 101 Dalmations, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty & the Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin, Monsters Inc., Toy Story (with Pixar), Hercules, Finding Nemo.

Unfortunately Warner Bros just dont cut it with the feature lengths imo. Space Jam, Iron Giant, Pokemon Movie, Bugs Bunny & Road Runner Movie (yes that smash hit from 1979!) :p , Osmosis Jones, The Powerpuff Girls Movie. All watchable but not great.

And I don't like Disney shorts much either. Mickey & Minnie Mouse, Donald & Daisy Duck, Goofy, Pluto, Chip n Dale, Huey, Dewey and Louie Duck... they all had relatively passable short animations but they don't compare to the entertainment value of the Warner Bros shorts.
    Disney also went through a phase of being "arty". They used to take well known fairy tales or famous pieces of music and animate them. Although that might have been good in creativity and artistic standards they were usually boring.

10 thumbs up to both companies but for different reasons. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Warner Brothers purely for Wile E. Coyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Aye - Warners All the way, innit!

Didn't know they were responsible for Osmosis Jones. I really enjoyed that one - Bill Murray eating dirty eggs...and the voices in the cartoon section were great, Chris Rock, William Shatner and David Hyde Pearce....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

warner bros def.. if only for pinky and the brain.. one of them was a genius the other insane.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

To prove their mousely worth, they'll overthrow the earth, they're Pinky, they're Pinky and the Brain Brain Brain Brain Brain duh duh duh daaa duh, dum dum.
    So yeah, I'd go with WB too. Never really liked any of the Disney cartoons, even the films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Without a doubt it would have to be Warner Brothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

definatly WB for the shorts. Disney for films (alladin, lion king etc... no the tripe their throwing out these days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looney Tunes Rule Okay!

My dad and I used to snigger all the way through Roadrunner while my mum just did'nt get it at all!

wile066.jpg

Typical :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Don't forget all the cool Batman and Superman cartoons.

And the Iron Giant is one of the finest animated films of all time.. the end makes me cry every time... I've never cried at any other film...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Xerxes

Warner Brothers, so many good memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Yup.. bugs and co defintily. But disney films are far superiour . The lion King people, best film, eva.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

Warner Bros would be the best for normal cartoons and Disney would be best for movies really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

My dad and I used to snigger all the way through Roadrunner while my mum just did'nt get it at all!

You and me both, pal...

christmas 'round chez 'trousers had no small amount of meself and the dear departed Da sitting down watching those Warner Bros cartoon movies (glorified compilations really) cackling like loons and shouting 'duck season-rabbit season' ad nauseum.

and similarly, the mother would despair at the pair of us....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by mike65
    Looney Tunes Rule Okay!

Typical :D

Mike.

"Itchy & Scratchy" for 70s kids :D

Pure class

I loved those situations involving a cliff, an anvil and a trampoline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilo moo

i love a lot of the earlier disney movies, but i'll pick warner bros because of the great times i had watching bugs bunny with my grandad

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Has to be Warner Bros, no contest. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I too prefer WB - Piny and the Brain, Anamaniacs, Bugs, Elmer Fudd etc.

I never liked Disney or thw Wonderful World of Disney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Was more of a fan of Tom and Gerry but warner brothers cartoons would mop the floor with disney cartoons anyday.

guess warner brothers ones were more violent or something.

favorite warner brothers cartoon Speedy gonzalez

Was pepe le peau warner brothers? he was always trying to get it on with that cat LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

all of the ones you named (including tom and jerry) are WB well the skunk is anyway.

i like disneys films in the 90's but the earlier ones are not the great and niether are many of the new ones either. And Mickey Mouse is a muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Tom and Jerry was MGM, not Warner Bros

Advertisement