Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 20th 1969

• 20-07-2004 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

So, 35 years ago today, the lunar module from Apollo 11 landed on the Moon and Neil Armstrong took that famous giant leap for all mankind.

Was anyone old enough to remember watching it on TV? It has been a constant source of annoyance for me that I missed it by a few years. It would have been so amazing...

If anyone does remember it, I'd love to hear what it was like to see it happen live.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Missed it by a bit, was born in november '69 !
    Seems like exploration had a HUGE profile back then, on account of the political climate.

I wonder will we see exploration / space based studies in the limelight like that again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope I was'nt watching either (proberly nodded off being 4!) Is there a chance of something similair for us
    with Mars?

Picy for the day thats in it.

AS11-40-5903_640.jpg

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Dont forget they allegedly faked the whole thing! Filmed in universal studios!

Copyright 1969

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Here's an interesting Did You Know for you...

When on the Moon on that glorious week in 1969, Buzz Aldrin was apparently jealous of Neil getting the pick of being first to step out on the Moon.

So jealous, in fact, that the only picture of Neil Armstrong being on the Moon brought back to Earth, is his reflection in Buzz'z visor in that very same picture above.

Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gorm

I remember it. Stayed up all night waiting and watching on our 'massive' (22") B&W telly. Got my parents out of bed to see just as armstrong came down the steps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement