Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MailBomb Victim??

• 20-07-2004 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    i have a question....
    on friday one of my sites went down, and when i got it back up i had to repair my
    sql database and my email accounts are still not responding...
    but i noticed that the mailbox current size reads 16777216TB !!!!!!
    am i the victim on a mailbomb? and would that be enough to knock the site
    offline like it did for a day or so.... in a kinda DOS stlye attack?

i have removed all my mailboxes now to try clear it, but it will probably take a while for the email server to sort itself out? or will it?

any info would be great guys

macker

Comments

If that figure is TB (As in Terabytes) i seriously doubt you got enough emails to get a mail box that size. You would have to be on a seriously fast connection (and so would the guy mail bombing you).

I would say it is more likely a coruption of your file system that reports a false figure for the mailbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

2^24 TB.
    Sounds like an error value, like the mailbox size function returning failed, -1 or similar. Because of inaccessible / disconnected / corrupt mail store?

What's your mail server, and is it storing mail in a sql database, it's own internal database or a file system?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are some DoS attacks that fill up buffers / mailboxes by sending a packet that claims to be number 1 of N, where N is a very large number. The server expects to recieve N packets and reserves space for them. The number looks like a wrap around for -1
    [rant]first rule of testing is entry validation - if that is not done then nothing that can be called structured testing has been done on the program. Testing only that it works with expected values is something done in the prototype phase[/rant]

It could be a corrupt email, corrupt SQL or as you suggest a mail bomb or even something else - I've no idea which.

Advertisement