Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

See You All Monday ... sigh

• 01-04-1999 7:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Do any of you find it irksome when, as vaggabond puts it i think, Real Life(TM), interferes with your tribing?

I'm off to Paris for the easter break (lucky me, i know, and I can't wait to go, yet feel this sorta ... aw shucks, feeling ...) and will be back monday afternoon. The last time i was there was when a couple of college buddies & myself had the bright idea of heading off to Nice to sell beverages on the beach ... hmm ... come to think of it, the moroccans and algerians who chased us down the beach with knifes defended their territory better than some tribers i know smile.gif

Next weekend is screwed too with a trip to donegal - damn real life!!!!

Do you find yerself explaining to people about tribes and when they get this far away, misty look in their eyes, you blurt :

'you just don't understand!'?

anyways....

Hey Vaggabond - we traded a few cool kills on rollercoaster last nite, huh? smile.gif I think I nailed you a couple of times and gloated a bit - then you returned the favour & made a smart comment i was itching to reply to, but then we were attacked & didn't get a chance ... v.funny.

If anyone sees Ent on the servers over the next couple of days, frag him a few times for me. We work together & I damn well know he's gonna call me on support to sort out Edele in Shipping. You see, he needs help with these things (sorting out women heheh) ... damn, now he's gonna call me for sure, so rain down death upon him for me (he likes lurking in the front entrance of broadside and taking long long long walks in heavy armour smile.gif

oh, and be nice to Froggy, should you see her - she's a newbie and hasn't a clue - i know that's a certain death sentence, but we learn from adversity, no?

Bon Chance Comrades! I'll give the froggies hell for ya - wat??? 500 francs for a croissant? where's me damn plasma gun? where's me damn plasma gun??? smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Got yer plasma gun riiiight here boy. smile.gif

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The phrase that I would use is "vaggabond ****s all over chung's lame ass":p

but then again I am a tad biased smile.gif

There was a few funny ones with me in a heavy any you in alight runnig rings around me (quite litraly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 froggie

Well put there Chungking, here's the newbie that doesn't have a clue! <groan>. For those who got upset for my doing ****all last night I will say 'please have pity!!'. Those were my first games and I must admit I had great fun. However being a newbie is greatly embarrassing. I must have got killed (or killed myself)about 20 times, forgot to take my weapon out on a few occasions (which increased my death rate), was cursing and groaning and yelling for everybody seemed to know where everything was and I didn't have a clue (spent 5mns looking for the inventory in one of the games!), etc. This list is far from being exhaustive.
    But being at the discovering stage is fun. Oh well, I still managed to kill a few (accidentally?? :-)) and tried to concentrate very hard not to accidentally fire on my own team - must have happened once and I must apologize for whoever was in my way :-)
    Practice, practice, practice... I'll get there!
    lod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Lads,
    We all know what yas mean, we all started somewhere, I am like that in quake, run blindy into a room and die, then run into the room again...die again - its all down to praccy.

You have to persevere, get one of us [em] or [ms] lads to give you a couple of tips, stuff like pre selecting stuff at an inv station, ventre on over to www.planet-tribes.com and go to tactics 101, take in all thay stuff and its you who will be kicking our ases smile.gif

[em]vaggabond

Soz Ent - I didn't mean to be rude - the level was Snowblind, and the life of a heavy flag carrier under siege is a VERY difficult one, I'd barely got back to the base, and there was no way I was losing the flag if I could help it!

Your confusion over the green "Bring the flag to your base" messages is that they are automatically generated by Tribes when you're carrying the flag. It's just a reminder that you're holding it - so ignore them.

If you have the flag, and they have yours, watch for the red lettering saying "Your flag was returned to base" - when you see that, leg it for a capture.

On the "get back inside" lark, I mean it! You have two choices as a flag carrier:

1. Stay indoors, with heavy armour and shield and hope you can kill any light guys you appraoch you.

2. Stay hidden outside as a light, and hope you can kill anyone who finds you.

I didn't think you were up for option 2, so hence my insistence on you getting indoors. smile.gif

Teeth.

• Advertisement

I really, really appreciate yr sympathy. I love gaming but never got to play anything like this before.

Here we go, there's a first time for everything. I decided to launch (literally) myself into the unknown yesterday and god! I love it! Adrenaline, panick and all are just part of the thrill! -- I'm determined to improve my skills and shall do so thanks to the many sites available including this one, and hopefully you should see me (alive!) a bit more often <I can hear the sighs of those potential future teammates of mine! smile.gif>.

Anyway, I'm trying - very hard - not to annoy any of you experienced people. First thing I learnt was to spend a maximum of 3 seconds on the inventory (that's when I can find it! smile.gif) or else I get a kick in the butt!

Now I'm trying to acquaint myself with some useful strategies - Also trying to listen to people's screamings for help or defence - Also trying to find the best location (for those who'd say at home cooking, please don't! that's not very nice! smile.gif)...

+ I'll have to get use to the meanings of yr gruntings and acronyms and stuff during the game. English language is - unfortunately - not my first one.

To all: Forgive my incompetence for a while! --

To Ent: thanks for your comments. Feel free to call Chung anytime this weekend, he'll love it!! - I plan on doing so myself!!

Lod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ent

Froggie,

I looked forward to seeing you on IGN. Unfortunately Girlfriend duties forbid me from playing tonight, though I hope to play
    tomorrow night.

Maybe we should kill each other alternately for entire games to get up our points total. We could meet at specific locations on the map and blow each other to kingdom come. (gg)

See you soon.
    Ent.

Teeth,

Youre right the level was snowblind (you obviously remember the incident well).

Thanks for your comments and by the way I don't think I was up to Option 1 either.

Ent.

This is great! We seem to be gaining new players at a faster rate than Irish Quake! Welcome, one and all.. smile.gif

Teeth.

Chung,

I am definitely going to call you now. I am going to create problems where none exist if
    neccessary. I will make it my one mission for the next 5 days to make your life a living hell.

Enjoy Paris.

P.S. I have no-one to talk to about tribes at
    work. I miss you. Please come back soon.

Ent.

• Advertisement

Froggie,

I sympathise greatly with your plight as a newbie. Even after many days of playing I still manage to kill my own dumb self about every 2.3 seconds. This is my first introduction to multi-player gaming and am finding the learning curve very steep. I still have to get used to the fact that I can't load my previously saved game every time I get killed. I am still way to flippant about the way I play.

The greatest insult I received was last night when I was approching enemy base on raindance and Chung (Enemy) says "Dont worry its only Ent coming - ignore him". Unfortunately he was dead right. Turrets took me out before I could get withing far*ing distance of their base.

The second greatest insult was the night before when again on Raindance I offered to hold the enemy flag for teeth. I figured he must be bored staying in the base while myself and someone else I can't remember, tried desperately for ages to retrieve our flag (we eventually succeeded). Teeth's repsone was "eh yeah!". I think he may not have trusted me as a couple of nights before he gave me the enemy flag to mind and I panicked. A voice command, saying "Return our Flag to our base" kept repeating so I went to do so, no sooner had I left, teeth says "Ent get back inside!!", which I did to which I was greeted with "Return our flag to our base" about 6 times in a row. Not knowing what to do and being in a utter desperate state of panic at this stage, I see a friendly heavy come in and decide to give him the flag. I couln't remember the command to drop the flag (CTRL-F) so I committed suicide to drop the flag. Sorry for this long post, my point is "Sorry Teeth"

Anyway, sorry everyone for my past and present incompetence. I will hopefully improve greatly with much practice any be able to give you some decent competition in the near future.

P.S. Tribes is the most fun I have had in ages. It is definitely the best game I have ever seen, my girlfriend however does not agree. (SIGH!!!)

Ent,

Sounds great smile.gif

lod
    ps. not sure you'll see Chung next week... seems to love Paris too much. Well, if it wasn't for Tribes I don't think he'd consider going home smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

I think this thread should be renamed 'The Newbie Muppet Support Group'

Then you can all sit around, holding hands, crying if necessary, saying things like 'no, man, I feel you, i do. Reach out, man - let yourself go, no really...' hahaha

Sorry - feeling a bit nasty smile.gif

The best post on here for newbies is vaggabonds - pointing you to

www.planet-tribes.com

I know Ent has checked them out, but the tactics 101 are good pages to re-visit (for almost all of us). I know that when i was reading them I saw a lot of good ideas that i'd like to try out but subsequently forgot them.

Secondly visit :

ftp://206.98.164.168/

Which is JakFrosts demo site (a nod to Jakfrost and Brit as I found it at planet-tribes.com) ... download the demos and unzip in your tribes directory under the recordings folder. Then you can access the demos from the game (under 'Demos' - duh) These demos are excellent examples of how to do things - some easier than others. Well worth viewing a number of times. I myself intend to view them again & practice them some more.

Lastly - Paris was GREAT!!! What an amazing city and what Froggy said has a lot of truth - tribes and guinness wuz wot brought me back smile.gif Met loads of people, saw lots of amazing things - highly recommend a visit, but bring good walking shoes ...

!Al Ataque!

Advertisement