Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedster 5200 problem

• 20-07-2004 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Let's see if you are any better than eircon support, (shouldn't be hard) , :) they couldn't fix this.
    I can talk to the modem over the ethernet using 192.168.254.254. The modem is connecting to the net. But I cannot access the net on the computer. Usernames & passwords are right. Tried turning off firewall (Zonelabs Pro) Also this is the second modem so it is unlikely to be a fault in the modem.

Dell Dimension 233, Win 98, Speedster 5200 Modem, 3Com NIC,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

don't you HAVE to use 'optain ip automatically'. Seems the way with mine anyway. (not eircom)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by frodi
    The modem is connecting to the net. But I cannot access the net on the computer.
    How do you know the modem is connecting to the net?

(I'm not saying that it isn't, just that you haven't supplied enough information to understand the problem properly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

From the modems own diagnostics.
    I've also been reading the ZoneAlarm & DSL thread. I might try the un-install/re-install this evening when I get home. I managed to connect ok via usb before installing the ethernet. This was just after I had DSL installed. Also at that time I was running the old free ZoneAlarm. I upgraded to Pro when I got the ethernet card.

Slight correction, it's a speedstream 5200 modem. (must wear the glasses when reading important stuff!):D

From the modems own diagnostics.

Again, you're still not quite providing enough information here. Are the diagnostics showing you the IP addresses that the modem (or more correctly, router) has received from your ISP? Or are you just going on the fact that the lights are green on the front of the box?
    I've also been reading the ZoneAlarm & DSL thread. I might try the un-install/re-install this evening when I get home. I managed to connect ok via usb before installing the ethernet. This was just after I had DSL installed. Also at that time I was running the old free ZoneAlarm. I upgraded to Pro when I got the ethernet card.
    Zone Alarm is more trouble than it's worth when you're trying to get thing working in the first place - it's definitely a good idea to disable it if things don't work at first. (Zone Alarm has it's uses, don't get me wrong. But if you're experiencing unexpected difficulty connecting, then it's going to be high on the list of candidates as the source of the problem, precisely because it's job is to prevent certain types of connections).

Assuming the Modem diagnostics do show you the WAN IP address, and DNS address that the modem is using (and that you have configured it to do PPPoE), then you should post the IP settings on the PC - run IPCONFIG /ALL in a dos box.

A bit long, but here goes.

I ran ipconfig/all and got

Host: WG4_55.domain.invalid
    DNS: 159.134.237.6
    Node type: broadcast
    NetBios Id:
    IP Routing enabled; no
    WINS proxy enabled; no
    Net Bios resolution use DNS: no

0 ethernet adapter

Description; PPP adapter
    Physical address: 44-45-53-54-00-00
    DHCP enabled: yes
    IP Address: 159.134.78.173
    Subnet mask; 255.255.0.0
    Default gateway 159.134.78.173
    DHCP server: 255.255.255.255
    Primary WINS Server:
    Secondary WINS server:
    lease.....

1 ethernet adapter

description 3C etherlink PCI
    Physical address 00-50-DA-4F-69-A9
    IP Address 192.168.254.1
    sub net mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.254.254
    DHCP server: 192.168.254.254.
    primary wins server;
    secondary wins server;

lease

Diagnostics on speedstream

WAN interface VC 8-35 PPPoE, default WAN interface

Host Ip address 192.168.254.254
    Ip netmask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway use WAN

PPP PPPoE 8/35
    access concentrator 9A0140903000304bas2.prp.dublin.eircom.net

Does any of this make sense to you. I'm getting in way over my depth here.

I tried the uninstall of zonealarm to no effect.

Thanks for the comments so far.

• Advertisement

A bit long, but here goes.

0 ethernet adapter

Description; PPP adapter
    Physical address: 44-45-53-54-00-00
    IP Address: 159.134.78.173
    Subnet mask; 255.255.0.0
    Default gateway 159.134.78.173

1 ethernet adapter

description 3C etherlink PCI
    Physical address 00-50-DA-4F-69-A9
    IP Address 192.168.254.1
    sub net mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.254.254

Is that PPP adapter your analog modem (and were you dialled in to eircom's dialup network when you did that IPCONFIG?) Try the IPconfig when you're not dialled in, and see if it shows much the same info?

WAN interface VC 8-35 PPPoE, default WAN interface

Host Ip address 192.168.254.254
    Ip netmask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway use WAN

PPP PPPoE 8/35
    access concentrator 9A0140903000304bas2.prp.dublin.eircom.net
    This is where it gets confusing (bearing in mind that the Speedster is not a common modem in Ireland, and I haven't seen one in action myself). Obviously the "9A0140903000304bas2.prp.dublin.eircom.net" had to come from somewhere, but there is no indication there that the modem has logged into the eircom network, and received an eircom IP address.

If the modem is configured in "bridge" mode, that would make some sense, and you'd have to run a PPPoE client on the PC to "log in" to DSL, but if that was the case, you wouldn't get a 192.168 address.

My guess is that you need to set the PPPoE details on the speedster, and make sure that it logs in properly. I would expect it to show that the WAN interface has a valid eircom IP address (either 159.something or 82.something, I think). Or you may be able to run a PPoE client on the computer (XP is supposed to have one built in, but I've never used it - it's much easier to have your router do this for you). It's possible that when you used the USB interface that whatever driver you used was automatically configured to do a PPPoE login - do you remember specifying the DSL username and password when setting it up?)

I was online via a dial up modem when I ran the ipconfig. I'll try offf line when I get home tonight.
    Modem is in "bridge-router" mode.
    DSL username and password appear in modem setup. I trierd switching them to standard eircom & broadband1 and at thast stage over half of the diagnostic test failed. (Previously passed with initial user & pass)

I'll post more later tonight.

Cheers

I was online via a dial up modem when I ran the ipconfig. I'll try offf line when I get home tonight.
    Modem is in "bridge-router" mode.
    DSL username and password appear in modem setup. I trierd switching them to standard eircom & broadband1 and at thast stage over half of the diagnostic test failed. (Previously passed with initial user & pass)
    Okay. It sounds like the Modem is set up to do PPPoE, but it's not immediately obvious from the diagnostic information you posted that it has successfully logged in. You said that it failed when you swithced the username/password, but I can't tell from what you posted which bits would have been different (I'd imagine that the concentrator information that you provided would be available even before logging in, but I don't know for sure).

Does the diagnostic information give any indication of what IP address the modem is receiving? Or what DNS servers it is using? If it does, can you ping those addresses from the PC? Maybe you're just having DNS problems. Can you ping 159.134.155.15 (the IP number of bas2.159.134.155.15)?

Long night working on this last night.
    I'm giving up on it. Not worth any more of my time. Getting a new cheappie. it's just for home use.
    Thanks for all the input.

Advertisement