Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone here drive the new VW Golf?

Options
  • 20-07-2004 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Have a '02 Golf at the moment and visited the VW dealership yesterday about getting a new one. It seems like a good price (around 6K Euro) to drive a way in a '04. Anyone have one of these and would you give them the thumbs up?

Duke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,386 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The new Golf is not my favorite car, but €6k plus your car sounds like a great deal if your car is two years old and of similar spec (engine, options) as the new one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Go for it regardless! but it dosent sound right! .

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

What doesn't sound right about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by HashSlinging
    Go for it regardless! but it dosent sound right! .

Not really, assuming he means 6k on a trade in. (which seems pretty clear)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

How much is the Golf NEW?
    Then subtract what he is offering you for your car.
    This is what he is giving you on a trade in but remember you should then SUBTRACT what you could get off the NEW Golf for CASH.
    This is then the "true" trade in value of your car.
    Ideally you should check the Buyandsell.ie, CBG.ie etc to get a good value for your car and then re-check the numbers to decide if it's as good a deal as you think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I havn't been in the new Golf yet but the massive black plastic botom to the rear bumper is ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

my dad has one, the sportline one or something. nice car, nice to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    I havn't been in the new Golf yet but the massive black plastic botom to the rear bumper is ugly.

I have a new Golf Mark V, got it 3 weeks ago. Had a Toyota 2002 Corolla 3-door, 1.4 before that.

I got the Sportline, 1.4, Silver Metallic, 17" Alloys with 245/45, Looks mean !
    Problem is that black bumber, but I can live with it. I think they are only going to come as standard colour coded with the GTI later in the yr.
    Although I did see a couple of silver models with colour coding around the city.

Getting it painted isn't worth it, it comes out slightly matt.

Anyhow I love my golf and should have bought 1 ages ago, took nearly 10 weeks to deliver which is a bit crappy. Also, not a big fan of the sound in the car, the toyota was much better. Also getting better fuel economy than the corolla already !

Somehow I feel much safer in this car !

Will post a pic if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Originally posted by mrbungle
    Will post a pic if anyone is interested.

Yeah, post it up...I gotta get a look at those 17" 245/45 wheels! :)

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

OK - sounds good - will certainly consider it. I'll either go ahead and get one this week (theres one in stock) or wait 'till the new year...thanks all.

Duke

• Advertisement

As requested !!

Golf Mk V

Low res cos of size !

2nd photo of the Mk V !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

how fast are they? what bhp is the 1.4/1.6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Originally posted by leeroybrown

i have the sports model of the new golf and i have to admit i agree with leeroy,but have always had a golf,but this time at least u get a cd as standard.....there is not much difference in price from a comfortline golf and the sports pack its 150euro in difference and u get bucket seat and bigger alloys etc....go for silver...stay away from black!had one in black the old type and was a pig to keep clean so went back to silver......

have to say i love this car and i have never bought from a dealer in dublin i have always gone down to a VW dealership in portarlington they always have them or the most i waited was 3weeks for the new one up in dublin there is a long waiting time....they even picked me up at portarlington train station and drove me to get new golf.....Vrrrrrooooomm!!!

Originally posted by ando
    how fast are they? what bhp is the 1.4/1.6

Golf 1.4 is 75bhp !

Toyota Corolla 1.4 was 95bhp, the golf drive doesn't feel a million miles away from the Corolla.

Laters.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Originally posted by mrbungle
    As requested !!

Golf Mk V

Low res cos of size !

Looks very well. Those wheels look so much better than the plastic trims :)

DC.

nice car, never been mad into the golf though. I owned a 1.6 CL upto '01. I'm waiting for this thing to come out.

53817.jpg
    53819.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Ewww!
    OT I know but I don't like the look of the new Leon. It looks like an Altea in widescreen. I think that styling will date very quickly whereas I love the look of my current model Leon and think it still looks modern and stylish after 4 or 5 years.

VW have barely changed the look of the Golf from MkIV to MkV, meaning the faithful Golf buyer can just go and buy the same car again and again. I think Seat may have thrown the baby out with the bathwater with that Leon though.

know what you mean and agree, I think its a grower though. i didnt really like the leon much till I seen one in the flesh. I test drove the altea yesterday and its not a bad car. Very light but thats what people in that section of buyer want in driving, as most of the people will be parents of 1 - 3 children, or more.

I really like that leon. it much nicer than the golf, more aggessive styling, same engines etc.

I'll have the 2.0 Tdi with dsg, and possibly 4wd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

HashSlinging,

I have the 2.0L TDI without the DSG or 4wd in my A3. Fabulous engine. The 0-60 is the same as the petrol 8.9 or something, but the realworld in gear acceleration 30-70 etc is something else. Great when you want to overtake and don't have to change down, its just press the peddle and vroom....pushed back into the seat time.

Same torque figure as the 3.2 V6 petrol apparently. Sure its louder than a petrol at idle or under acceleration but at cruising speeds it is virtually silent. My last car was a petrol 1.6 A3 and on the dualer at anything above about 50-60 the engine would be pretty loud and and 100 it would be roaring. the TDI's rev's are at 2500-3000 in sixth or something at 100mph so all you can hear almost is the tyre noise!! I have to be so careful now not to get any points because I was used to the engine on my 1.6 giving me an idea of speed without looking at the speedo. With the TDI being much quieter at speed I've ended up going faster than I realised before looking at the speedo and slowing down. ie I overtook someone on the motorway and before I knew it I was doing 100 without realising. Jaysus only a few years ago I remember it took my 1L polo about 2 or 3 minutes to get to 100mph!! (I was young and stupid back then :D )

• Advertisement

Alri mate. congrats on the new car. IMO looks so much better than the outgoing a3..the 2.0 Tdi sounds well good all round. keep us posted.

Any pics

Advertisement