Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flamming

Options
  • 20-07-2004 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

What do you think about people who solely flame? (flame, flamming = attempt to be destructive, insult or make false statements in an attempt to create an online row)

You may have noted that serious topics like : coming out, exploring your sexual orientation, lgbtq concerns proceed well and create useful informative threads of
    decent material , but then someone will drop in 'flame' in an attempt to stir things up in an non productive sense (as in they did not care about where and when - as long as it has an impact).

What are your thoughts on this subject?

I am sure this thread will recieve the comments of a flammer or two......

Since this topic is about flamming - think everyone should get involved

What do you think about people who flame 32 votes

Worthwhile
    0% 0 votes
    Who cares what people say
    62% 20 votes
    Useless statements
    21% 7 votes
    Detract from the topic
    15% 5 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This thread is best suited to Feedback forum. It's not an LGB issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

A.) It's 'flaming' not 'flamming'
    B.) Pointless poll.
    C.) CeeBee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I don't believe it. I really don't.

As anyone who reads these boards would know, the person who has recently attracted the most flaming is you. Hence starting up a thread dealing with the issue of flaming is inviting, nay, practically begging for comment about yourself. You yourself are aware of this when you say "I am sure this thread will recieve the comments of a flammer or two......". And you wonder why you get flamed so often??

Secondly, how is this thread relevant to this board. If there is an issue with flaming in any board, the usual procedure is to take it to the Feedback board. If you have an issue with moderation then feel free to take it to us or an admin, but starting up a thread like this serves no useful purpose as far as I can see.

Frankly, I would rather deal with this issue privately, but it is you (and others I might add) who seem intent to drag it out onto this board.

Since our requests to stop people bringing this irrelevant drama to this board has fallen on deaf ears, it's time for a final warning.

Let me be clear:
    1) Anyone who starts a thread about coughlanc's posting will earn an immediate ban.

2) coughlanc: If you attempt to perpetuate this behaviour towards you by starting threads such as this, you will earn a ban.

3) Off topic postings or flames will be viewed very severely, and most likely will result in a ban for the next while.

I'm sorry to have to go to these measures. I don't want act as a nanny, but the bickering and bitching has got to stop. If you have a problem with a poster then the ignore feature is your friend. If you feel that it is something we (the moderators) should deal with, then feel free to bring it to our attention via PM.

This has gone far enough.
    [edit] Was about to lock before Stark sent to Feedback. Looks like I need to be a bit faster :) [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

This thread is totally gh...

hmm...

Nevermind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 coughlanc

Hi Swiss,

Stark rightly moved this to feedback.
    I was unaware thats what this section was for - but he moved it here and it is only
    to discuss the topic.

Are you saying that we should move it elsewhere? Hold it >>>- just read last line of your post - did not see you were posting regarding the lgbt place and your right also - should not have been there.

However why not let people flame this list? its somewhere they can do it...
    also some where other non flamers can say what they think also.

Better then flamming a serious thread.

C

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

where is the option for
    atari jaguar
    or
    none of the above

I would have voted for either there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Yeah. Flaming is an issue for the moderators of the board in quesion to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Like sands through the hourglass so are.....

THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES

Life isn't a soap opera, chill!

Flaming is an issue for the moderators of the board in quesion to deal with.

Yes, it's the moderator's job to deal with those "flaming queens" :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by coughlanc:

I was unaware thats what this section was for - but he moved it here and it is only
    to discuss the topic.
    I see. I can understand that you might not be familiar with most of the other boards on this site, but if you had read the rather noticable thread at the top of the LGB board stating "Charter - READ BEFORE POSTING" you may have noticed the following:
    1) This board relates to gay/lesbian/bisexual issues. Everything else is OT (off topic), and will be moved/deleted as appropriate.
    Furthurmore, later in that post I specifically mentioned how to deal with threads such as this:
    If you have a problem with any of the moderation techniques used, please feel free to take it up via PM, or you can report it on the Admin board. We will not discuss it in any of the threads.
    Note: The Admin board has since been renamed to Feedback. This change has now been reflected in the Charter.

Regardless of whether you were aware of the existence of this board or not, you should have realised that the LGB board was not an appropriate forum for this thread.

This in itself would hardly constitute a serious breach of conduct, but when you bemoan others for breaking rules and flaming you, it helps your case when you follow those posting guidelines yourself.
    Originally posted by coughlanc:

However why not let people flame this list?
    See the charter. In short flaming is bad because it leads to acrimony. Acrimony leads to fear. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate.... etc. We don't need to see threads that specifically encourage the practice. If your intention was to invite comments from those who have directed "flames" to you in the past, then posting the equivalent of "flame me here!" is a pretty poor way to go about it. For example, where are the flames to which you are referring in this thread? The only one I can see is amp, and I would characterise that as being more of a pisstake troll. He is also an equal opportunities flamer - he is not just having a go at you. (I love you AJ really! Call me!).

In short, I see this thread as attention seeking, precisely the charge that was levelled towards you in previous threads. I still don't know whether that was your intention or not, but I would like it to stop. I would also like to see the flaming that precipitated this thread to stop.
    <melodrama>If it does not, then the banhammer of doom will emerge, and few will escape it's wrath. </melodrama>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    where is the option for
    atari jaguar
    or
    none of the above

I would have voted for either there

atari jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Down with flamming!

Please don't flamm me for my useful contribution to this thread

Originally posted by BuffyBot

Please don't flamm me for my useful contribution to this thread

as I've been known to say on occasion

if you have nothing relevant to say on the topic, please refrain from commenting at all mr. puffy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The only one I can see is amp, and I would characterise that as being more of a pisstake troll. He is also an equal opportunities flamer - he is not just having a go at you. (I love you AJ really! Call me!).

Tart ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Originally posted by coughlanc
    ... sexual orientation, lgbtq concerns ...

Okay I get the LGB bit but what does the TQ stand for? Is it Transsexual and, um... Queer? It escapes me at the moment.

Can either be Queer or Questioning, think it's usually Queer unless there's a second Q there (you wouldn't believe how long those strings get in this PC age of ours). Some people identify themselves as queer instead of gay, lesbian or bisexual. Not sure exactly why.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by Stark
    Some people identify themselves as queer instead of gay, lesbian or bisexual. Not sure exactly why.

That might be worth its own thread :) .

I think flaming is to just plain cause grief for the sake of it, I suppose pointless statements are called trolling, but I'm not too clear on that one.

Maybe since there's such a fine line between flaming and trolling 'flamming' would be a good alternative word for trolling :) .

if you have nothing relevant to say on the topic, please refrain from commenting at all mr. puffy

Oooh, get you. You should have been posting on the threads in question with a handbag that big! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I think it should be lgbtqdh, that would be much more accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Harmless Flaming and Throlling should be ok.. Harmless?? Something not too offensive but sorta touches on a nerve., jokingly of course :)

I think flaming is to just plain cause grief for the sake of it, I suppose pointless statements are called trolling, but I'm not too clear on that one.

Maybe since there's such a fine line between flaming and trolling 'flamming' would be a good alternative word for trolling .

Trolling is posting statements in the hope of starting a flame war. Like coughlanc hoped to do with this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 coughlanc

Ahem .... I say Ahem ... i did not hope to start a flame war .. massive assumption I say .. cough cough .. ahem =)

Seriously - I did'nt just wanted to see what people thought - albeit in the wrong forum.....thats true!

As for T n Q in LGBTQ

T = Transgendered
    Q = Questioning

This is the official stance to date (may change). Queer is being used more and more often by ppl like me and other community reps as it is a more comprehensive, embracing and empowering (to the community to use a term that was negative for so long).

There is or was U = Undecided ... it got dropped and replaced by Q..

Must seem mad to the outside world at times - but people for get were not all 'Gay' per say and thats why the title grows to highlight the diversity it represents...

Just like many heterosexuals dont like be called straights and this may not reflect their sexual practices etc

Must seem mad to the outside world at times

And inside, and inside...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

This is the official stance to date (may change).

As if you actually get dates, you spanner.
    Must seem mad to the outside world at times - but people for get were not all 'Gay' per say

Its "per se", you grammar dyspeptic.

O wait. Did you ask to be flamed? Or, um ... o right. Sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

T = Transgendered
    Ooo, I thought it was transexual, what with transgendered being more a "misdiagnosis" of gender rather than a sexuality issue as such.

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    Oooh, get you. You should have been posting on the threads in question with a handbag that big! :p

are you saying mine's bigger than yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the change to include Q in the USI set up was for Queer not questioning.

attentionwhore.jpg

TBH

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    are you saying mine's bigger than yours?

Naturally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Wouldn't it get very boring without flaming?

Littletinyman, richindub2 and Sangre are already gone for it :(

Advertisement