Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why in this category part 2

• 20-07-2004 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Didn't really want to start a new thread .... but the original thread was locked .....

I just wanted to say ... that as a fan I would have no problem with pro wrestling being under the arts banner, putting it along side films and television ... and I don't think it would take away from the athletic side of pro wrestling ....

(I had more to say ... but forgot it ..... went along the lines of yes it is sports entertainment, but because of the entertainment part, there is a good argument for it to be under the arts category)

also did not think that anything particularily insulting was said in the original thread, and that locking it was probably not strictly necessary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

have to say i agree, i would also like poker to be moved to the Sports board!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Originally posted by Cactus Col
    Didn't really want to start a new thread .... but the original thread was locked .....

And it was locked for a reason. I locked it so people wouldnt start a flame thread, cos every time that happens here there is a serious fight. And now you go and start it again, THANKS :mad:

Its got nothing to do with insults or the like, its got to do with keeping everyone happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

And it was locked for a reason. I locked it so people wouldnt start a flame thread, cos every time that happens here there is a serious fight. And now you go and start it again, THANKS

ah .. sorry .... if you had said that was your reason for closing it I probably wouldn't have started ... or maybe I would have ... who knows

however .... I do think it's interesting how ultra defensive some fans get when somebody says something along the lines of wrestling not being a sport ... which I believe is a fair thing to say.

I think it closely resembles figure skating in a way ... amateur figure skating is an olympic sport, however, professionaly it is soley considered to be entertainment or art as in the disney on ice shows. The skaters perform many of the same moves, put in a similar effort and use a good amount of athletisisisism (I can't spell that word). It could even called sport's entertainment as pro wrestling, but they participants, and it's fans are content to ingore the sports part.

(also it might be worth keeping threads open until fighting actually starts, instead of assuming it's going to happen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Never in my wildest dreams did i ever EVVVVVVVER think somebody would actually compare and believe that iceskating and pro wrestling are similar!!! Iv seen it all now...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Never in my wildest dreams did i ever EVVVVVVVER think somebody would actually compare and believe that iceskating and pro wrestling are similar!!! Iv seen it all now...........

I better point out that I'm only saying they're similar in that the amatuer versions of each sport is an olympic event, while the professional versions are generally not considered entertainment, even though participants in both put in huge amount of athletic work and talent.

• Advertisement

Actually Top Dawg! Mick Foley said once "if Ice Skating is a sport, then Pro wrestling is a sport!"

So either Cactus Col is a Mick Foley Fan, or great (in Mick Foleys case, damaged) minds think alike...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Didnt Lance Storm once put up a commentary on his website making the argument that pro wrestling should be an olympic event on the basis that Ice skating is. ie two people working together to put on a show of althleticism ect ect..... . It was a really god piece

for the record if he was to go he woudl want to be facing benoit with bret as their coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I recone Wrestling could be marketed as an extream sport whear the match is maked by judges out of ten. It would make the sport more invovative. It would preach saftey as screwed up moves would be marked poorly so a wrestler wouldnt do them if couldnt make them appear safe to the judges. Training could be maid more widly available for kid who want to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Originally posted by Cactus Col
    ah .. sorry .... if you had said that was your reason for closing it I probably wouldn't have started ... or maybe I would have ... who knows

however .... I do think it's interesting how ultra defensive some fans get when somebody says something along the lines of wrestling not being a sport ... which I believe is a fair thing to say.

I think it closely resembles figure skating in a way ... amateur figure skating is an olympic sport, however, professionaly it is soley considered to be entertainment or art as in the disney on ice shows. The skaters perform many of the same moves, put in a similar effort and use a good amount of athletisisisism (I can't spell that word). It could even called sport's entertainment as pro wrestling, but they participants, and it's fans are content to ingore the sports part.

(also it might be worth keeping threads open until fighting actually starts, instead of assuming it's going to happen)

A very thoughtful and clever answer, Cactus. Take note, Hanza!

As for your silly recommendation to jump in a ring with a pro wrestler (or even an amateur one), what would this prove? I could go down a dark lane and get my head kicked in, would this prove my assailant was a super sportsman?
    Now, off you go and lock this one, too, in a huff, and while you're at it think of a real sportsman, like Alexandr Karelin (not a pro wrestler, cos he doesn't fake his fights)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

define sportsman please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Originally posted by oneofakind32
    define sportsman please

One who takes active part in a sport. e.g. Karelin IS a sportsman, Giant Haystacks isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Lordz

Wrasslin is a damn art form.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

And you guys wondered why I locked the first thread! :rolleyes: Ive been here long enough to see a fight coming from miles away. Feel free to bicker amung yourselves, Im abstaining.

And if someone starts this again, the inital thread will be deleted, no questions asked!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement