Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ffs lag!! (have we been here b4?)

Options
  • 07-04-1999 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

im talkin' major dissin' muthafuucka! smile.gif

last night we were in the company of our old friend the phonejack. Myself and several others dropped at least once during the game ,at crucial moments of course, yes, lag has a brain. For instance I was about to go and take the flag off Teeth and mind it for him while he went off to get our one back in Snowblind, just as i'm about to take it, *bang*, hello mr.lag, how are you this fine evening?.

What i'm getting at here is, why exactly do we have all this lag?...the q2 arena and CTF servers have been taken down to facilitate the 2nd tribes server (which no-one seems to be using, tut tut), logically then, connection quality should improve, but no, it seems worse. Even when less than 16 players are on the server i experience drawn-out, frequent disconnections, as do others. Does a Tribes box demand more server resources?...and are the servers rebooted regularly?. Okay rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

I only lagged a couple of times last nite - while many of you complained often - I know teeth's complaints were valid cos I killed him a couple of times when he was lagging & barely touched him otherwise (in q2 I usedta have mercy on laggers - but in tribes it seems a little too dangerous to leave enemies lying around your base - they'll come out of their lag at some point, no?)

anyway, wasn't bad for me at all.

re. the second server - is it up? Whenever I look at it my pings time-out. what's the story, rory?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

It was up and pinging happily last night. I've been using it for practicing by myself, and that's where EM (and any other Irish Tribe that starts up) will hold training sessions.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm Normally I'd be the first to agree about lag etc. but last night was the first night I used the new modem. I had no problems with lag or even my normal freeze up during the game. I had a lovely smooth game last night (apart from Chungking who stopped me getting the nmy flag last night ba$tid tongue.gif)

Gandalf.

heh-heh i remember that - one of those 2 inches to go to cap the flag and BOOM. Objective Failed smile.gif If it makes you feel any better I got nailed several times on flag runs - but the NME were usually quicker at shutting me down than I was with you!

what modem did you get, gandalf? - I have a usr robotics sportster 56K v.90. - usually get connection speeds of 45k and it works pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Jade

ChungKing, please don't start Gandlaf off on one of his "My modem is better than yours" speaches
    He'll never stop now sad.gif He's always like this. He'll probably go into a rant about his phone line being of better quality then ours.
    Typical southsider posh snob.

smile.gif

Jade, Teeths Tribal Girlfriend

• Advertisement

bah - let em brag. I tend to fork out a fair amount of cash on computer stuff, so I'm always on the lookout for new goodies & comments from people - e.g. lots of people saying pace was the best (had never heard of them til recently)

anyway, mine seems to work okay

speaking of phone lines - anyone have any idea when asdl will be available in ireland? I know telecom eireann are trial testing it and planning to make is public - any ideas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

yeh ive had a Pace56 for several months now (get em in compustore for around 110 notes) and its served me well at both q2 and Tribes. I suppose it was just last nights woeful experiences that led me on to that post, heat of the moment stuff smile.gif. I think its just the poor state of the Irish telephone system, even in Dublin, that contributes to this. As for asdl Chung, i think it'll be a loong while yet until we see an affordable and widespread adsl network here. Hell even isdn is out of reach of most ppl, and its at saturation point already. Just to illustrate how b0llocked our phone network is in comparison to the rest of europe; In Germany and several other EU countries, you have to *ask* for a normal, copper phoneline to be installed when ur wiring up your house...theyll go ahead with isdn otherwise...while here; "10-12 weeks for delivery sir".

ps: dont slag Southsiders :p

Advertisement