Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club 2 - catcher in the rye by JD Salinger

Options
  • 20-07-2004 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Not my favourite book in the world but it seems to have inspired a few supporting posts in the suggestions thread.

So, in the interests of actually doing something I would suggest that we run with Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. it's always been a controversial book, you either love it or hate it (I personally hate it but I'll read it again to see if I can find anything new or interesting in it).

Get reading. Discussion to start around the 1st August.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

So, no poll then.
    What happened to "poll allows majority rules with an equal say"?
    This is somewhat castrating the principle of the book club.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I was for Catcher in the Rye but if you want to do a poll it's fine by me. Plus it'll give me time for my wages to go into my account and I can buy whatever book that's decided on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Reactor..

Judging by the replies in the suggestions thread Catcher in the Rye and one other got a second endorsement. Catcher in the Rye ended up with 4 people preferring to support it than submit hteir own alternative choice. Sounds a bit majority like to me.
    Personally I hate this book. I would much prefer not to be subjected to it again, but it's not about my personal preferences. Yes, I would have preferred a poll but I'm actually very busy in work over the last weeks and hardly have time to read, let alone organise something for others to read.

You want to put up a poll, be my guest. I'll sticky it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Well - you know I don't want to put a fly in the ointment - i'll put up a poll about a poll. That will simplify things...:rolleyes:

Advertisement