Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband in Dublin 13

• 20-07-2004 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I have recently moved to Dublin 13 and have refused to get a land line into the house but really need Broadband access. I have been communicating with Irish Broadband since April about their coverage in the area. At first I was told that I would be covered by the mast being set up in Artane and that I would be able to get the Home Breeze product which would be available in "2 Weeks". Having kept in touch with them I was then told that there was another mast in Baldoyle coming onine and that it would be ready by the end of July. They were offering free installation of the Ripwave product (fine for me as I don't game and I just want to do a bit of surfing and downloading). This all sounded dandy and I filled out the application form a few weeks ago beliving that I would only have to wait a couple of weeks.

I called them last week to ask what was happening to my application and was told that the Baldoyle mast has been delayed and that I would have to wait another 2 months, and that the Artane mast is still not operational even though it is 3 months after being told it would be operation in 2 weeks back in early April. Is Irish Broadband full of muppets or are the sales people just lying to me, possibly a combination of the two. I presume that I am not the one they have been saying this to.

My question is, has anybody in that area Sutton, Raheny, Portmarnock or areas close by been able to get access to broadband without a phoneline. I am not interested in getting Satelite as it is too expensive and Dublin Wan seem to ignore all emails from me voicing interest.

I refuse to get a phoneline into the house so that I can pay line rental just so I can have the internet but I need broadband access for myself and herself.

Any feedback would be helpful,

Cionn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Originally posted by Cionn
    Having kept in touch with them...

By this do you mean you kept ringing them? Cos they dont stay in touch with anyone. Its the other way round.
    Is Irish Broadband full of muppets or are the sales people just lying to me, possibly a combination of the two. I presume that I am not the one they have been saying this to.

No you certainly are not. I think its a combination of the two. I've always imagined their head honcho as a sort of Arthur Daly character without the jokes, constantly lookin over his shoulder...
    I've contacted them nearly a dozen times over the past 8 or 9 months and they always fob me off with "i'll check that now, i'll call you back in an hour" or "oh just another month, we'll call you"

Months, hours, whats the difference.

My question is, has anybody in that area Sutton, Raheny, Portmarnock or areas close by been able to get access to broadband without a phoneline.

fraid not, i live in DunLaoire and i'm still diallin up like the fool i am. Just wanted to air my grievances with IBB.

Their internal administration appears to be run by goldfish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sutton - Iol

Eircom kept ringing and offering it so ordered it from them etc so in their great style they turned around and said no you can't have broadband.

So rang Iol and they gave it to us

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

yeah I kept ringing them every few weeks and just started to get pi**ed off with the same answer each time "access will be available in 2 weeks" in the next phone call I would get "well there has been some issues with the contract we hope to have it all sorted in 2 weeks"

So I guess I should upate this thread in lets say 2 weeks. I wonder if you can get a call ID from them to reference in future calls so that you can track all the calls you make to them.

I never thought I'd say this but they are starting to make eircon look good (need to wash mouth out now)

C

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Just ask them for a call ref #

Advertisement