Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New maps &Bots

Options
  • 08-04-1999 8:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi all,

I tried out this new map called spoonbender with 10 so-called bots on it. The blurb says the bots wont fool a decent human player (i.e. they are not that good), but i thought if it was decent it might be an idea to pass on to froggy & other newbies for practice and the like.

Well - the bots are harder than those in the training missions, if only cos they have what seems to be perfect aim (on every run towards the base i get whacked out of the air by blaster shots and disc shots - wtf?)

Well, perfect aim notwithstanding, what really left me thinking 'blah' is that they just stand there. Die, respawn, stand, shoot invader out of the air with a disc. No jet packing, no moving (not that they had to) no nuthin.

Just to see if they did anything different I took out their plasma turret and hopped over them (barely surviving the mid-air hits - did i mention they shoot you out of the air?) and stood around on the other side of the wall... nope, nada, they continued to stand there.

So, for fun I order 'my' 5 bots to attack the enemy five bots (who were nicely standing outside their base supremely confident in their ability to whack me out of the air) and watched them all beat each other up. Most of the bots died & several killed each other with those wonderful 'i kill u, u kill me' type situations. Then they all respawned and stood there. waiting.

So, i know it's early days in tribes bot-dom, but with my memories of quake bots it was a let down & as far as i can see, not great help for a newbie.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong , tho - i'll give it another go tonite. I guess if you order your team to attack various points and then swap sides ... at least they move then.

anyone else tried this map?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

does that mean that if you'd 2 human players they could command the bots on their teams to defend/attack/deploy/repair etc?

it might actually make for a fun game if the AI was developed further. 1 commanded v another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

By the sounds of it those bots are only useful if you have a few people in the game. Adding the bots to make up the numbers. Tough it sounds like it might help a player with developing tactics and command skills.

Advertisement