Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie McCreevy to become Euro Commissioner -- pity

Options
  • 20-07-2004 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Just on tonight's RTE 9.00 news.

I think it's a pity. He has been a brilliant finance minister. He has proved that low taxes can boost an economy and - paradoxically - can increase government revenues.

I hope it does (edit) not (edit) signify a return to Fianna Fail's past of fiscal irresponsibility.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

yeah pity,what are all them racecourse owners gonna do without the massive tax exemptions they were given:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

This should be an interesting reshuffle so... Brian Cowen for Finance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Mary Harney, who else could implement Decentralisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by cyclopath2001
    Mary Harney, who else could implement Decentralisation?
    Oh, I think the Candy Man can. Cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good. Time to hire some Oompa Loompas.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

The PD marriage stops at the purse.
    Ahern would never give his wife in government access to his wallet.

Finance = Cowen

To be honest. Its a pity that McCreevy is gone from a Labour loving prospective. With McCreevy out of the picture Ahern is safe. There is enough room to reshuffle and maintaine the status quo.
    If there is any decision Bertie doesn't ever make its one that makes him enemies with in his own party that may one day take his head...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Not a major surprise given the last few days speculation.

All I can say is thank god it wasn't O'Donoghue or Walsh (McGreedy is not much better but the best of bad bunch!). I have no idea who will take over from him. I would assume it would have to be someone with financial know how (or with links to the racing industry :D). Can't see Cowen getting it. Harney maybe except it would piss off the rank and file of FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Does this mean that McCreevy will get a relatively high-powered job at the Commission? Because that has been part of the speculation in recent days, and I also find it hard to imagine that he'd have surrendered his current job without some kind of guarantee.

I'm quite surprised Bertie has gone through with it to be honest, given that McCreevy has been in standard terms a pretty succesful Finance Minister. Is Bertie really doing this to appease the left-of-centres in FF? How is Mata Harney going to feel without her best bud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

McCreevy won't be after fisheries or some such, could be interesting. At home Biffo might well be the joker in the pack for finance.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mr.Bojangles

Apparently he will get quite a large portfolio.

If Cohen gets finance (he has my bet) who will go Foreign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Mr.Bojangles
    Apparently he will get quite a large portfolio.

If Cohen gets finance (he has my bet) who will go Foreign?

Cowen to Finance, Martin probably gets Justice (he is not keen on iveagh house cause his family are young and he is adverse to the travel - might take it though to have on his CV for when bertie gets the chop, its seen as the next best prize after finance) Harney is probably going to get transport, McDougal has always wanted foreigh affairs but that would kill half the FFers, but might oddly enough tempt Bertie to give it to him out of badness and to neutralise some of the pretenders!!

My bet would be Dermot Ahern if Martin does not take it. Outsides would be Harney and McDowel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Cowen to Finance, Martin probably gets Justice (he is not keen on iveagh house cause his family are young and he is adverse to the travel - might take it though to have on his CV for when bertie gets the chop, its seen as the next best prize after finance) Harney is probably going to get transport, McDougal has always wanted foreigh affairs but that would kill half the FFers, but might oddly enough tempt Bertie to give it to him out of badness and to neutralise some of the pretenders!!

I hope you're right about Mary Harney. She would make a great Transport Minister and hopefully speed up the neo-liberal economic agenda (which I share) in that part of the public-sector. But if Seamus Brennan stays in that post then that too is okay I guess, since he shares much of her ideas on that score, though I feel she would want to take it further and faster.

I wouldn't be so sure if I were you that McDowell will be moved from Justice. The PD's would probably walk out of Government rather than have one of their own moved without the party's consent. FF would be wise to listen to them with a by-election coming up in Kildare North which pundits believe, based on the local-election results, will be lost by FF.

Moving Cowen to finance would probably be a signal that Bertie wants him to succeed him, and I won't prejudge him considering we know little of his economic outlook. Even so, the speculation of recent days - seemingly confirmed by the moving of McCreevy to Brussels - is likely to herald a shift in the ideological balance of the Cabinet to the Centre or Centre-Left, and I definitely don't welcome that.

You only have to look at the plan by ESB to raise charges by 14% to see why we need more competition in that sector. The Left though would want to continue forcing a monopoly down the throats of the Irish people. We should have the right to choose a different power-company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Our BEST minister for Finance EVER and Bertie the Shmuck ships him off to the job in Brussels... what a sham of a country!! I well fcuked off

"If you have it, spend it, if you dont have it, dont spend it", why cant everyone accept this and keep one of our greatest ministers ever !

Looks like were back to the 80's now and more money will be wasted in the likes of Health where THERE IS NO REFORMS but money will be thrown down the black hole :(

The only upshot i can see, is the new minister increasing the Department of Defence spending from 0.8%GDP to back to its orginal 1.6%GDP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by arcadegame2004
    You only have to look at the plan by ESB to raise charges by 14% to see why we need more competition in that sector. The Left though would want to continue forcing a monopoly down the throats of the Irish people. We should have the right to choose a different power-company.

Actually most of the recent ESB increases were imposed by the regulator to encourage more companies into the sector, the 14% was the result of the increasing price of oil.

As for McCreevey, weren't his stealth taxes at least partly responsible for the poor showing by FF in the recent elections? Are we soon to be paying a VRT style tax on onions? Will he once and for all straighten out our bananas? Will his new salary be able to bridge the gap in his teeth? We wait with baited breath....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    "If you have it, spend it, if you dont have it, dont spend it", why cant everyone accept this and keep one of our greatest ministers ever !
    Because that's no way to run a country's finances. "Spend it when you have it" is fine for a young fella with only rent to pay - he'd be mad not to. But once he settles down and has kids, it's a dangerous game to play.

The Finance minister has a family of 4,000,000 to look after. Spreading around all available funds gives him a nice glean, but not when he has to go dipping into pension funds and adding stealth taxes to keep up his promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    Our BEST minister for Finance EVER and Bertie the Shmuck ships him off to the job in Brussels... what a sham of a country!! I well fcuked off

Looks like were back to the 80's now and more money will be wasted in the likes of Health where THERE IS NO REFORMS but money will be thrown down the black hole

He spend it before the last election to win votes then backtracked after and introduced stealth taxes.

As for your comment on Health did you not see the recent reports about all the newly built premises that are lying empty because there is no money for staffing, that doesn't need reform (other areas do I agree) it just needs money to employ the staff.

e.g

A €96 million wing at St James Connolly hospital is mostly vacant

A brand new €46 millon health center in Ballymun was completed a year and a half ago but has remained empty despite the NOrthern area health board has spent €5million in rent for the facility

A €24 surgical building at South Tipperary General Hospital has been lying idle for 16 months because the Department of Finance won't supply the €2 million to pay for staffing

A €2.8 million 90 bed elderly care unit in Birr reamins unoccupied

A €10.5 million Orthopaeic unit in Castlebar Co. Mayo was to be up and running on July 1st last but has been delayed due to a lack of funding

etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

the new minister increasing the Department of Defence spending from 0.8%GDP to back to its orginal 1.6%GDP

The new Minister HAS to increase defence speading to its former (even small at that) levels !! No where else in Europe would a government be allowed to get away with that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Accroding to today's Irish Independent:
    there is widespread speculation he (Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso) will create a new "super commissioner" to oversee economic matters. The Taoiseach will have lobbied the former Portuguese Prime Minister, whom he helped secure the job as Commission President, that Mr. McCreevy would be perfect for the key position in the 25-strong executive that takes office in November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭BUMP!

The man did ok but was a (fortunate) victim of the economic boom when a moderately trained chimp could have run finance in this country. It's true to say that taxes are down but the introduction of stealth taxes penalises the poor (no longer dictated by what you can afford) and leaves the wealthy better off than before. (Your bin tax is a higher % to a man on a low wage than to someone on a high wage)

I wouldn't go for the health issue though - he has increased spending to what should be sufficient levels and if the health minister cant get by with (double is it?) this much more money then he should be given the chop. I've no objection to a tight grip on purse strings - as long as it also applies to the govt themselves (govt jets being used as taxi's, punchestown, huge wages,...)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Is there any thread in the politics forum that you're not going to trot this gem out in? Do you need to keep repeating yourself to convince yourself of the merits of your argument?

I'm going to call you Cork Jr from now on...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Real shame to see him go - He wasnt perfect but he was without doubt the best Minister for Finance this country has ever been graced with. The fact that so many FF backbenchers blamed him should be confirmation of just how good he was.

Hopefully this wont signal a FF return to failed lefty spend and spend polices. The one good that might come out of it is that Ahern might ditch the crazed decentralisation plan.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by irish1
    He spend it before the last election to win votes then backtracked after and introduced stealth taxes.

As for your comment on Health did you not see the recent reports about all the newly built premises that are lying empty because there is no money for staffing, that doesn't need reform (other areas do I agree) it just needs money to employ the staff.

e.g

A €96 million wing at St James Connolly hospital is mostly vacant

A brand new €46 millon health center in Ballymun was completed a year and a half ago but has remained empty despite the NOrthern area health board has spent €5million in rent for the facility

A €24 surgical building at South Tipperary General Hospital has been lying idle for 16 months because the Department of Finance won't supply the €2 million to pay for staffing

A €2.8 million 90 bed elderly care unit in Birr reamins unoccupied

A €10.5 million Orthopaeic unit in Castlebar Co. Mayo was to be up and running on July 1st last but has been delayed due to a lack of funding

etc etc

This is hardly the legacy of the "Best Finance Minister we have ever had".The exchequer this year recieved an extra €1,000 million in revenue whilst public spending is €600 million short of target. A minute amount of this extra funding could open these hospital wards mentioned by Irish1.Instead charlie gives his friends in the racing business €100 million to build a training centre in punchestown and spends millions of euro of public money on tax free prices for Jockeys.Because of McCreevy`s failure to provide funding to open these wards, waiting lists are now longer than they were when Fianna Fail promised to end them 2 years ago.

Ok he did preside over a boombing economy and he deserves some credit for that.But time after time he has neglected services that need the money most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    This is hardly the legacy of the "Best Finance Minister we have ever had".The exchequer this year recieved an extra €1,000 million in revenue whilst public spending is €600 million short of target. A minute amount of this extra funding could open these hospital wards mentioned by Irish1.Instead charlie gives his friends in the racing business €100 million to build a training centre in punchestown and spends millions of euro of public money on tax free prices for Jockeys.Because of McCreevy`s failure to provide funding to open these wards, waiting lists are now longer than they were when Fianna Fail promised to end them 2 years ago.

The Government doubled health-spending and during the period when spending was out of control the problems in the Health-Service continued. People like you are wrong to imply that throwing money at the Health-Service was solve its problems. Too much money is being eaten up in administration and vested interests, as well as wasteful duplication of resources, e.g. two hospitals near each other with exactly the same facilities. The Hanly report needs to be implemented (with the possibly exception of its recommendations on centralising A+E services) in order to free up money for problems like what you are talking about. The drunks that crowd the A+E wards every weekend could also do the hospitals a favour by not getting drunk and then turning up at the hospitals and clogging up the A+E wards in place of far more deserving cases who didn't deliberatly and stupidly get themselves into that situation. They should be made to pay for their treatment given that they are putting themselves in that situation, then see how often it happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So Charlie got decentralised :D
    The Government doubled health-spending and during the period when spending was out of control the problems in the Health-Service continued. People like you are wrong to imply that throwing money at the Health-Service was solve its problems. Too much money is being eaten up in administration and vested interests, as well as wasteful duplication of resources
    You know, you are right. What sort of idiots are running the show that allowed this to happen?

PS Didn't state employment jump by 14,000 just before the last election?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It will be interesting what the resuffle will be like, I think Martin is wasted where he is but only time will tell if his pollices are working (so far its been a big NO!!), although any other job apart from finance and forgein affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Government doubled health-spending and during the period when spending was out of control the problems in the Health-Service continued. People like you are wrong to imply that throwing money at the Health-Service was solve its problems. Too much money is being eaten up in administration and vested interests, as well as wasteful duplication of resources, e.g. two hospitals near each other with exactly the same facilities. The Hanly report needs to be implemented (with the possibly exception of its recommendations on centralising A+E services) in order to free up money for problems like what you are talking about. The drunks that crowd the A+E wards every weekend could also do the hospitals a favour by not getting drunk and then turning up at the hospitals and clogging up the A+E wards in place of far more deserving cases who didn't deliberatly and stupidly get themselves into that situation. They should be made to pay for their treatment given that they are putting themselves in that situation, then see how often it happens!

Well your wrong to say that throwing money won't solve the problems, I 100% agree it won't solve all the problems, but the units I have listed above simply need money made available to staff them, surely it would make sense to make this money available rather than have beds lie empty while people spend hours on trolleys in A&E departments.

I worked in the Public sector for a brief period, and I couldn't agree more than reform is needed, whether it is in the form of teh Hanly report is open to discussion.

The Minister for Finance needs to make money available to open these facilitys that the tax payers have paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭BUMP!

I think the trouble with just giving them the extra money is - well taking the hospital in Clonmel, where 2million is needed to staff the new unit, if you were to give them that money then it wouldn't just go to the extra staff but would be eaten up by other depts who are strangled for cash. Although saying that, that 100 mill that went to punchestown would have opened alot of wings!!!
    The whole sector needs to be reformed, it has to be transparent where money goes, wages need to become realistic, and staff conditions need to improve (working hours etc.) before there really is any point in putting too much money in.

Although the old FF trick usually is - save the money, leave the beds sitting there and come election time, open them all up which (along with the spec save scheme) will make voters happy- if only long enough to get voted back in...

Irish 1 is right,All these units require is money to be opened.But money isnt going to solve all the problems with the health service.Too much money is spent on administration.Proper reform is needed,but that would mean taking on the civil servants,something most politicians wouldn`t have the balls to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    This is hardly the legacy of the "Best Finance Minister we have ever had".

He was & his record will put him up there with Sean Lameas. He brought down tax for somebody on the average industrial wage by €5000 in his first five budgets. He transformed both the taxation and pension systems.

Put his record up aganist any other finance Minister. He took strategic decisions by putting money into the National Pensions Reserves Fund. He put money into the infrastructure of this country like no other minister before him.

He point blank refused to throw money at problems for short term political reasons.

We need more people like Charlie McCreevy in Irish Politics. Much of the criticisms of Charlie McCreevy has been predictable.

Charlie McCreevy put money back into everybodys pockets thru tax cuts and SSIAs.

He gave people the choice of how to spend their hard earned money.

He was responsible with this countrys finances. In a week where one so called left wing party political party could not cope with the Irish Examiner criticising their daft economic policies. Charlie Mc Creevy always believed in reform and putting money back into peoples pockets.

He will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its odd that Charlie is getting blamed for not spending enough on Health when the Health service has never had so much spent on it, and everyone agrees that more money is not the solution but full scale reform, which is A) Not politically palatable - democracy doesnt always make for good government and B) Not Charlies responsibility.

Hes done well what hes been called upon to do. Not perfect, not above criticism, but I cant think of a better Finance minister - especially one whose operated under so much stress to spend and spend ( I swear, if I hear another union lobbyist whinging about the "country being awash with money" Ill go mad ). The fact thats hes been pushed out to prepare the way for bad economic policy speaks volumes.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Cork

He will be missed.

Only by the upper and business classes to whom he gave massive tax concessions who im sure are crying into their soups. What about the fact that he cut back on spending for special needs people and from the school building fund.

Not to mention the spending cut in 3rd level education and community employment schemes.Our education system was pivotal in bringing about the celtic tiger.This is a hypocritical and cynical act from the man who is supposed to be trying to "maintain economic growth"

Advertisement