Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help!!!!

Options
  • 20-07-2004 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

hey all,

im a 19yr old female whos hopin to start college in the not too distant future.. im happy with the course iv chosen (science, trin) n everythin but im not sure what the hell to expect when i start! so if anybody could shed some light on what the first few weeks of college entail id be delighted.. im movin outta home too n thats a pretty big step.. any hints/ advice/ whatever would be really appreciated..

thanks,

k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Anyone replying to this make sure to keep it related to COLLEGE WORK. Stoopid Kid, if you want to know what the social life etc will be like you'd get a better response if you post in College Play. I haven't done anything in trinity but I know that when I went to college I was helped to fit in, I'd suggest getting involved in as many things as possible. Even if you aren't due in college for a lecture head into the canteen/library to meet people of arrange to meet up with some people from your course. Don;t forget everyone is in the same boat. If some one suggests these things it'll take alot of the pressure off everyone.

John

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

College is great though moving up to Dublin will be a novelty for the first few months and then well it wears off!

Most people in ur year will prob be in the same boat as you s don't worry about it and u have the advantage of being older then most aswell so u can take tota advantage of the social life.

The first few weeks in most colleges involve rag week and some sort of introduction to the college it will be loads of fun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Make sure and go to the orientation that the college provides,

also the students union have a website - ww.tcdsu.org - it may give you a feel for things there

hints/advice:

Everyone is in the same boat as you so don't feel scared

Don't get into a habit of not attending classes early on in the year

join some clubs and societies - they are a really, really good way of making friends

Make sure to attend events during freshers week

If you're moving to privately rented accomodatio make sure that you get some advice from the welfare officer in TCDSU as to what your rights etc are, USI have produced a generic rent book so that should be of use

Don't get too stressed, enjoy it all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement