Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the difference between the Voda APN's?

Options
  • 20-07-2004 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just downloaded Webviewer, a java HTML browser for my phone. I've been trying to get it to work, and it was getting as far as 'connecting to server' and just stopping there. It obviously couldn't connect to an external server, no matter what URL I entered. I was trying to use the standard Voda WAP GPRS service (wap.vodafone.ie as the APN). I took a shot at trying the isp.vodafone.ie APN which I use for email and it worked. I guess my question is, what's the difference between the 3 Voda APN's? They have live.vodafone.com, wap.vodafone.ie, and isp.vodafone.ie. Is it that the live and wap APN's can only be used to access Vodafone approved content?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

wap.vodafone.ie pre-dates Live! and was/is for regular non-Live! enabled handsets

live.vodafone.ie is WAP for Live! handsets, i.e. colour/java capable/supported handsets

isp.vodafone.ie is for direct Internet access i.e. not via a WAP Proxy, which can be required for connectivity by some applications like web browsers, email, IM...

mms.vodafone.net is for MMS connectivity

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Ah right. Thought it was something like that. I presume that standard GPRS billing rates apply for non-vodafone content regardless of which APN you connect through? I had a look at the vodafone site and they only quote a standard GPRS billing rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

yeah, apart from the 'Vodafone Content' charged per page on their WAP portal(s), you are charged at the appropriate rate i.e. pay as you go or outside of any inclusive data allocation - and noting the minimum 10KB per session (connection) charge or debit from any inclusive data package

as you've noted, you need to be connected to Vodafone in order to be able access their Live! ( http://live.vodafone.com) or regular WAP ( http://wap.e-merge.ie) portals, sort of like connecting to a network and using an 'intranet', but in their case being charged per page for any 'content' that is viewed on it

some of the 'content' they have on their WAP portal(s) can be got from alternative sites if you didn't want to be subject to their per page levy and just be charged the standard GPRS rate or out of any inclusive data allocation... e.g. ei4u.ie/wap for Film/TV etc. or direct from the source e.g. wap.enn.ie for their Irish tech news, also O2's WAP portal http://wap.o2.ie is accessible from any other network handy for other info like Sport results...

BrianG

Advertisement