Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying clothes online

• 20-07-2004 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

Im a bit wary about this, anyone know any good US sites that will ship to Ireland?
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

ebay
    careful that you don't get caught and you have to pay bertie and the boys, i got an sd-mmc card delivered today, wasn't here, docket says i have to pay 31euros, and the thin only cost 52 all together. the 31 is kinda squiggled with kinda a euro sign beside it.. but gadget things off ebay can come from japan etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I got some Abercrombie & Fitch stuff off their site before, some pretty good gear, reasonably priced and quick delivery too. Reasonably priced that is until the bill for the import tax comes, as Lenny made reference to. The carriage company pays the tax and then bill you. They also know that a lot of people don't expect it and therefore think it might go away if they ignore it, so they don't really bother with reminders, they just go straight to the threatening letters stage of the relationship. I can't remember the sums involved, but it made the clothes way too expensive to buy any more of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by Lenny
    docket says i have to pay 31euros ... the 31 is kinda squiggled with kinda a euro sign beside it

Sounds defective to me. I'd send that docket back and ask for a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Have also used Abercrombie and had to pay the courier the duty.

Another crowd I have used a few times are Beckersurf and I never had to pay any duty. They dont put a value on the package so customs cant charge you anything. Its the same if "gift" or "sample" is on the package. I have also bought prints and posters from the US. Allposters.com dont put a value on their packaging no matter how big it is so you dont get charged duty but Art.com do show the value and you are charged.

Anyway Beckersurf is very good for summer stuff like shorts, shirts and t-shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Following on from the "what do you buy on-line thread" I have spent the week checking out Ebay. Some pretty good deals to be had. In the past week I've spent about $150 on clothes (Natica and Ralph Lauren sweatchirts/polo tops. I'd estimate it would have cost me 500 Euro's to buy the same stuff here). I've asked all sellers to ship as gift with value less than $30. I think thats the threshold for duty. I've searched and searched from US retailers and all I could find was http://www.flcrooks.com/. As quoted from their site they say " All orders to Europe are gift-wrapped and shipped as a "Gift" at no extra charge to you". I assume they are savvey to duty tax and may mark the package value at >$30. Another Europian site I found was http://www.dress-for-less.de/tmpl/en/home.tmpl?id=otBZv5sAmJus6wKEzy7S. Obviously no duty tax as they are German (AFAIK).

• Advertisement

Can you remember how much you had to pay bucks? Or do you know what percentage of the price on the package that they charge? It's not immediately clear from the revenue website, it seems to depend on the category of item you are importing, though VAT is definitely added.

Abercromie make sure you are aware of the import duty now, you have to explicitly agree that it's your responsibility before you can complete the order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Do you know anyone living in the US that could re-ship to you ?

Basically get stuff delivered to them then get them to re-wrap & reship to you (perhaps gift wrapping or including a card from Aunt Masie) ?

Of you do, then get ye off to www.oldnavy.com. Some fine threads, great offers (including sometimes free shipping to your destination in the US), check out the bargain basement. Clothes are fantastic quality & really reasonable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I cant remember the exact amount on the Abercrombie order as that was nearly two years ago but it was pretty high iirc. Kept getting invoices for a couple of months and had to pay eventually when I received a debt collectors letter.

Any time I have had to pay duty though its been over 20% per cent of the value of the goods.

Last year I bought golf clubs and the value was USD390.00 and I had to pay €90.00 in duty. Still worked out about half the price of the same clubs here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I bought a nice jumper from www.dress-for-less.de once. Haven't bought anything else because you really need to try stuff on before you hand over cash. It was a little big but okay. A smaller size would have been too small. They have some returns policy for stuff that doesn't fit, but I think it is perhaps easier to walk into a shop and spend the 10 minutes trying on rather than posting stuff back.

Would like a place to buy ecco shoes cheap, can try them on in a shop and get them for a reasonable price elsewhere.

Rob

edit: oops, already posted :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by ThreadKiller
    Do you know anyone living in the US that could re-ship to you ?

Basically get stuff delivered to them then get them to re-wrap & reship to you

Only problem with this is a lot of on line retailers will ship to the card account holders address only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

I buy from Old Navy online all the time.

The first time you buy, they'll email you asking you to call them to confirm the credit card & shipping address, tell them you're not resident but the goods are being sent on & they'll do it.

Amazon also carry a wide range of clothing online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I was looking at the flcrooks website, they say that all orders are shipped from Pennsylvania, where there is no sales tax on clothing. Does this mean i wont have to pay VAT when its shipped here?

no, you'll more than likely still have to pay import duty on it here, unless customs think it's a gift or are unable for whatever reason to put a value on it. The lack of sales tax will have an effect on the over the counter cost, but as far as i know will not be a factor in the importation of the goods into the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i bought a few t-shirts from amazon.com. never heard of import tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

any1 know where to get flared mens jeans, iv been searchin high and low, cant find a wide flare, im talkin around 22"-24" , pref on the net coz' i cant travel to dublin to get them,]

krispie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Originally posted by L5
    I was looking at the flcrooks website, they say that all orders are shipped from Pennsylvania, where there is no sales tax on clothing. Does this mean i wont have to pay VAT when its shipped here?

Delaware is where there is no sales tax. I lived in Philly for 6 months & they charge sales tax. They cannot charge you sales tax if they are shipping it internationally though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

For cheap designer clothes online try http://www.jags-online.com They are based in England and offer heavily discounted items. I never ordered online but I did over the phone. They deliver really quickly.

bit late maybe, but i just discovered the records of that abercrombie transaction i made reference to, deep down in my inbox.

ordered clothes worth: $123.50
    shipping: $37.95

import tax on the above was €58.88 which is pretty steep percentage wise.

Advertisement