Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[U.S.] Verizon FTTH Deployments

Options
  • 20-07-2004 10:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

July 19, 2004
    Verizon 'Fios': 15-Mbit/s Downloads For $44.95/Mo.

Verizon Wireless announced plans to offer 30-Mbit/s fiber connection to the home for customers throughout this year at prices that seem astoundingly affordable.
    Verizon said it had begun fiber-to-the-home deployments, called "Fios", in California and Florida. The connections, which route high-speed fiber-optic connections directly to the home -- in place of a cable or a high-speed DSL connection over a phone line -- will be first be deployed in Keller, Tex.

Verizon's prices, however, may rewrite the compeitive landscape. The company plans to offer plans that offer 5-Mbit downloads/2-Mbit uploads for just $39.95 a month, or $34.95 a month as part of an existing Verizon plan. The mid-tier upgrade, however, will offer a whopping 15-Mbits/s down and 2-Mbits/s upstream for just $49.95 a month, or $44.95 a month as part of an existing package. Prices for the 30-Mbit offering have not been set.

[...]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I got that via Dave Farber's Interesting People where someone has just followed up with:
    My wife who is Verizon retired informs me that the_SS links were installed in the central offices between 10 and 15 years ago and most of the homes (and presumably businesses) in Buffalo NY_now have fiber installed to the outside of the buildings (drops).__ They have been planning this for decades.
    10-15 years ago. Makes you wanna cry.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

A company that's in it for the long term and not to make a quick buck in 5 years or less.

Advertisement