Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell is going on people?

Options
  • 08-04-1999 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

I've just come straight from the IE server - and I'm absolutely fuming. The games I played tonight were absolute diabolical crap - total and utter wastes of time.

For a start - the server. I appreciate it that IGN.ie provide it, but this situation is getting stupid - I had a ping of over 500 for most of the time, and Teeth was trying to walk around with a ping of +900!!!

Secondly - the people. What the HELL is happening? Apart from the [EM] guys - 90% of everyone else was a complete tosser. No communication, no team work, no SKILL. And they ain't all newbies either.

This has to be the worst night I've ever played. It was so unenjoyable, and so utterly crap I left early. I like Tribes - I like the community, but this is fast fading from my good books. Get A GRIP. Someone!!!

--Brit--

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You should know by now that the main enjoyable factor in Tribes is the Teamplay. When that goes it's like a boring Deathmatch.

Normally I just move to another server, although you guys may not have that advantage sad.gif

As for the server being slow, do a traceroute and make sure it's the server. With Q2 I found a few times it wasn't the server that was the problem but Tinet. Don't know if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

Well my lag wasn't that bad tonite - i had two maybe 3 freezes all nite (a couple in distinctly uncomfortable situations) - i dunno why you guys are suffering so bad ... would it be better if we played on the second server? Cloud put it up for us...

but i reply cos what brit says is something that's been bothering me for the last few big matches - lack of satisfaction.

The nite before last i was on the same team as all of you (the regulars) - at one point the match seemed evenly balanced and we were winning - then it got easier and we were winning easily, then it became clear once we started rollercoaster that it was going to be a complete cluster-f*ck - so i figure i change sides & help out. Well, i knew we still were going to get thrashed, but i didn't think it would be that bad.

I had two problems with this - and was going to post about it, but didn't want to whine - now it's getting worse, so :

1- exactly what you, brit, say, no org, complete running about public muppet show. I really don't like command/organisation too much (cos i hate talking to myself) and that just doesn't cut it with a newbie/muppet/quake player team. And... i dont think this will improve much in public servers unless you're lucky enough to get a guy with 'the command knack' or whatever.

2- during that rollercoaster map - after about 40 minutes of raping us didn't some of you guys get a bit bored? Cos it sucked for the players on my team, meanwhile you get basically 60 minutes of lets sh1t on these guys and f%ck them up the ass. I think some of you 'experienced' boyos should consider changing teams next time you're in that situation - ie on a team that's sh1tting all over the other one. If we were in a clan match, and that was happening, well fine, absolutely, trash the challengers. On a public server it just sucks.

I dont care for changing teams at all, especially since much of the time changing will do no good as you have a team of muppets and/or newbies, but i do it cos damn what's the point otherwise?

Anyway rollercoaster yesterday p1ssed me off. Just thinking about it p1sses me off. After that, on scarabrae it was a bit better, but only cos defense is easier. And Stonehenge was also a bit better, but only in terms of personal gratification as it's relatively easy for a lone wolf to nab the flag and cos we had a couple more helping out on defense .

At least those last two maps had a certain amount of satisfaction - but then snowblind comes along and it's like forget it. There is no point to getting raped again.

Now tonite the teams were a _bit_ more balanced - and i was on the lucky (good) side. And again I changed cos things were getting seriously unbalanced (fiend & newbies, i think) & was then lucky due to players dropping & joining - we got the luck of the draw, but other players (such as brit) didn't.

anyway ....rant over. I'm just getting increasingly dissatisfied with the public games and increasingly pessimistic about the future of tribes - at work myself & Ent talk about it all the time (sad, i know) but i'm kinda coming to the conclusion it's the 'idea' of tribes that i love. Good matches are great, bad matches make spending 4 hours on it in a nite a serious waste of time.

So, moral of the story, maybe we should get this EM training together (tho saturday is bad for me, teeth) and get some clan matches together.

and, regardless of the above, i'll be back on public after the weekend i'm sure - withdrawl symptoms will have set in by then smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ChungKing (edited 08-04-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I think this will be solved once we get clan matches going. Two experienced tribes against each other is always gonna be more fun than a free-for-all....

smile.gif

Mata ne!
    Rob

after a nite's sleep i'm a little cooler about it all - it's just that i knew exactly what brit was saying - you can get really p1ssed off if match after match things go badly.

also my sister who lives with me was complaining about how none of her friends can call her now ... she didn't take my suggestion that they use the answer phone or that she get a mobile phone very well...hehe. So it's not just girlfriends

smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

the q2 war servers on the same box were laggy last nite too. having 2 tribes servers up is a waste of resources if you guys ain't going to use the second one. I rarely play tribes now and brits post explains my reasons perfectly. if the team isn't making an effort then tribes is a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

I cannot play Tribe via TInet & I can thru IOL ???! WTF !

even then, the server goes odd (maybe there's a sheep standin on me phone line) every so often, my modem settings are fine (been at this lark a while) . etc etc....

.. sorry I can't b arsed at the mo..

VAGGA did ya find a good cure for the ould shakes ??

head is thumpin... yada yada yada...

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Lets just say I isent a happy camper. I echo brits comments.

I will cool down eventually and write a rant on last night.

vagga

I had woefull lag and **** PL and ping with Indigo, then I changed to IOL and also lost the winmodem and got a ****off modem and I never lag - indeed have one of the best pings around

I feel for ya, man. btw - in my post up top i was referring to games on wednesday nite, not last nite - last nite you guys definitely got a raw deal, though at no point I felt you were getting as badly trashed as i & my team mates were on wednesday nite. Otherwise i would have changed over.

That cap on rollercoaster was sweet, tho smile.gif I think terror had your flag, Jes on your team, had our flag and there was about 5 guys inside your base - I trash your solars, being in lite with shield pack - and fill the place with the grenade launcher AND grenades AND a mine (which gave me a moment to get my shield to recharge). I expected to die any minute but i guess your team was helping me kill you all with mortars smile.gif - so, I see all these names dying I run in - Jes is still alive - run out, more grenades, run in & disc em, return our flag (which was stuck on the ceiling heh) - i wait still expecting to die, terror caps the flag - i run out, nab your flag, chased (by you i presume) and cap it again with a sliver of health left and me crowing woo-hoo!

I have no doubt that if you had had more support i would have been trashed, but damn it was nice !

The lan party sounds cool - but dontcha just mean a private server party? or do you have a bunch of PCs lying around your house smile.gif

I have a suspicion you just want to enjoy zero ping playing on your own server so put me on your team!

what's your hardware config going to be anyway?

[This message has been edited by ChungKing (edited 09-04-99).]

I'll reply to than in the main post in a while - summat to do first

The combi of hangover and nightmare games last night made it the worst night ever.

features of the game included me getting chungs flag on rollercoaster about 9 or 10 times and only once getting it back to base. There was no support for flag runners at all, none, not even once. Each time I got the flag chung got me, within spitting distance of our base, not a scratch on him, ever. *ARGH*

Also on rollercoaster we got their flag back to our base and there were 3 heavys for whatever reason in the gen room at one stage - chung knocks at the door and the two lads start mortaring in any direction they see fit killing the three of us and chung strols through and gives his flag back. *ARGH*

Chung you say we were raping you lot on scarabee - you won the game 2 - 0. I was trying to hold the tower for the last 7 minutes and until 1 min to go no one came to support - and yis ****s got it back with a fluke run 1 sec to go. The one time I got the flag there you respaned in the flag room and nuked me. We had 2 or 3 in your base at any time and not once did anyone go for the flag in any co-ordinated fashion (if at all). I went twice, on my own BTW, and got to the flag on the second time - by a fluke respwan i got nabbed. Another time brit had the flag in a heavy, I tried to support but got killed cheaply and he died b4 I could get back to him.

Unless this EM thing gets going even the regs are gonna get ****ed off, as I now am. Another thing what about putting a few of the mods (scarabee 2, few good ones on USA servers)into the rotation we all know every inch of every map.

I am working all through the weekend and at home

I am also, this weekend, installing the first part of a server into my house **1st tribes LAN party coming this summer**
    Over 18's event, ID will be required, NO DRUGS OF ANY TYPE, Invite only BTW smile.gif I'll give yis plenty of notice, for brit from the UK and you rural folks, also older members might have to get permission from your other halfs and/or childern smile.gif. I live in South Dublin BTW

which adds up to I wont be on whole lot for a while (need a break - 3+ hours a night every night is a bit crazy anyway)

[em]vagga

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Cranky

Hey complaining whiner types: If you didn't always vote down any maps other than Scarabrae, Raindance, etc., and gave C&H and D&D a try, you'd be a lot less likely to get bored with being shat upon so often. But if you only ever play the same 3 or 4 CTF maps, unlike the rest of the free Tribes worlds, you deserve what you get.

Advertisement