Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom issues

• 20-07-2004 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody not been able to access certain sites on eircom over the last 2 months? I know it's an issue with Eircom because they are accessible instantly when I use a proxy.

I contacted eircom about this and forwarded them on the traceroute (tracert) results and from what I gathered, it was a problem with the ip addresses that they asign us. Being that the ip addresses are dynamically asigned, it is an intermittent problem but nevertheless, intolerably annoying.

At first I assumed it was my friend's webserver that was the problem, so we grep'd his blocked ranges for my ip address and it wasn't listed. He also got his ISP (small private firm) to do the same and still to no joy.

The traceroute indicated the problem was a few nodes away from his ISP. Somewhere laying behind here and there.

In any case, has anybody else on eircom being having these problems? Try pinging 66.98.164.43 on eircom and let me know of the results. This is just one I have off of the top of my head (friend's httpd).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

There was a thread about this a few months ago in here . IIRC its because eircom aren't properly announcing all ip space that it aquired a while ago. As such, routing to these ranges is shafted. Have a search through the last few months posts and you'll come across it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ah, I'll call Eircom again later and give them a bolocking. Thanks Moriarty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

hmm, I was told that if you contacted the ISP that controls the domain your having trouble with, tell them to take eircom's IP scope off their blacklist, then things should be honky dory, but looking at your post, you've already done this ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Originally posted by ando
    hmm, I was told that if you contacted the ISP that controls the domain your having trouble with, tell them to take eircom's IP scope off their blacklist, then things should be honky dory, but looking at your post, you've already done this ???

Only with my one server in particular. However, it's not really practical to have to contact dozens of ISP's to ask for a certain subnet to be whitelisted. This is Eircom's problem, not ours. I don't think it's fair that we have to try rectify their problems. :(

Advertisement