Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Sallins

• 20-07-2004 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Does anybody know of a broadband option available in Sallins Co, Kildare or are we all doomed to Dial up for ever.

Please Help

Lifebook

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I think I heard that IrishWan are doing something in Sallins a while back. Not sure otherwise.

http://www.irishwan.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

I dont think Irishwan are going to do anything. Steve Reader sadid some time ago that he was going to put a link in Sallins but maybe this was just smoke and mirrors

Thanks anyway

Lifebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Steve has an ap in Sallins for his own isp business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

If any of you living in Sallins can organise a location that has a good line of sight towards Dublin then it should be possible to connect to some of the IrishWAN & other nodes around (Straffan, Hazelhatch, Windmill Hill).
    The Straffan node in particular has just been recently setup and is on a very high mast.

I've successfully tested a connection to Hazelhatch from the hill just up the road from the village (the 90 meter contour line to the right on the OS map).

There may already be a connection to Steve's node from Sallins however you would need to check with him yourself(ves). Steve's windmill hill node is "peered" with other connecting IrishWAN nodes.

Stephen

ps IrishWAN itself is more for supporting co-operation between people who are taking the initiative to create their own wireless links, instead of actively deploying services in an area, although that does happen indirectly it's not really the main purpose of the group..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

How High of a mast would I need and what sort of range would it have. I have some friends here who are interested. I dont think I would be able to connect to Steves network with a simle wireless laptop. I think I would prob need some sort of external Antenna. Please let me know as I am new to all this wireless Lark

Lifebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Lifebook, the height required all depends on where you are try to connect to. Unfortunately from what I can see a lot of Sallins has obscured line of sight to the east. You need more or less visual line of sight for these long distance connections.

There was an update on this today - see the following thread:
    http://www.irishwan.org/board/showthread.php?t=1491&page=2

All it needs is 1 person with a good location - they can connect to where the bandwidth is (Dublin in this case), and then they can redistribute it locally so anyone else only needs to connect to this person & therefore require less awkward antennas etc.

Wirless cards in laptops will only have a max range of about 100 meters.

Your best bet is to support whoever is going ahead with it on the above irishwan thread. The bandwidth is there - right now - it's just a case of connecting to it.

Advertisement