Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[EM] Training..

Options
  • 03-04-1999 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Yes sir smile.gif

CYA there.

--Brit--

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Not much notice I know, but if any of the [EM] lads are on tonight, meet up on the IGN training server at 9pm (that's connect("IP:tribes.ign.ie:28002"); for those of you not using Gamespy smile.gif )

If we get enough people, we'll see about assigning roles, and going over basic tactics for the various levels.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Sorry, I was in cork yesterday. I'll be around today and tommorow though....

[em]vaggabond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Well, that training was.... "interesting".

I think that what it proves is simple. Everyone in EM is a good player, and we are pretty good team players as well, but the teamwork _does_ need a lot of planning and organisation. Assaults on Scarabae proved that, I think - going at the flag room from two sides was an unmitigated disaster, partially because myself and Teeth were spotted on the way in by an enemy - okay, so these things happen - but mainly because of lack of communication. There should have been attack signals and then a simultaneous mortar-lobbing session, but that didn't happen, and we got wiped out. It's communication like that which we need to work on in particular. People should also spend a lot more time looking at their command screens...

On all levels, a heavy camping the flag and setting up defences, cameras, stations etc. is vital.... but it's a boring job. If we're doing well, that heavy is gonna spend the game sitting on his arse, maybe taking potshots at snowflakes or using the command station to have a peek through remote turrets. Yawn. We should establish a rota of people who are capable of going heavy and camping a flag successfully, and they share out the burden of this, the most boring task in the game, so you never spend an entire level on flag duty.

I still think we should all try to meet up in MeatSpace some evening with big charts of the levels and work out our tactics there.... much easier all round, IMO...

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

wasent around but...

I like doing the setting up part and the command station bit, cos as soon as a good attacker comes in and is milled we will have to place turrets in different places as they will know where they are. defences are one thing maintining and rotation of defences is another and far more important.

On IGN I saunter foward every now and again to keep it intresting for myself but I a game I would prefer to be the defense - set up guy

To be honest, I have different preferred roles on different maps... On Rollercoaster, I'm a pilot or a sniper; on Broadside, I've got very good with the rooftop mortars, and I can hit almost anywhere on the enemy base without ranging shots. On Scarabae, I'm an APC pilot or a targetter/sniper backing up the assualt team and holding the tower. On Stonehenge, I'm a light with a plasma gun, a stormhammer and an energy pack, capping the flag and causing carnage in their base by boosting up and down from the top of the dolmen. On Snowblind, I'm a heavy in defense, or an annoying light/medium up front raping their base defences.

What I'm getting at is this. Different people like doing different things on different levels, and in general, if you like doing it, it's because you're good at it. But there's usually a common thread there - in my case, a love of light armour, piloting, and the energy pack. For someone like, say, Brit, he's offense or defense, depending on the level, but the common thread is heavy armour and glowing green turds all over the shop.

[EM]'s tactics will have to suit people's preferences like that. Remember, the tactics are there to suit the players, not vice-versa...

Mata ne!
    [EM]Shinji

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

That role you were talkin about there Shinji, It was me for that game. I never had a single man come in and try to tackle my defences:/
    I spent most of the game, once turrets etc were in position, behind the command console, working the turrets. It amy have been more exciting if yas had let one r two attacks actually make it out of their base wink.gif

Despite the bordom though, it is esssential that one heavy remain in the flag room at all times to back up the automated defences.

[EM]OSiriS

Yeah, u seemed to be getting bored alright... smile.gif

I just played a game an Scarabae, 8 vs 8 over at Barrysworld.... And believe me, when the heat is on, you do _not_ want to be in that flag room. The KT guys kept storming the room, two heavies and two lights coming down the back entrance... Drove me nuts, because they would trash the room and the defences and usually leave me with bugger all health - I would then make planitive noises about how a repair pack would be really nice, and NOBODY on the team bothered to bring me one. More than once I killed myself (ctrl-k) in order to be able to get a repair pack and return to the room as quickly as possible... Grr.

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

You thought the flag room was bad? You should have been outside! Jeez! There were MILLIONS of them. I once boosted up to our roof to find the contents of an ENTIRE HPC and a couple of scout junkies casually deplaning for another view of our generators..

Still, they didn't get a single flag off us!

Teeth..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I found that a very nice feature of that base is the roof mortar smile.gif
    land a couple of mortars under that hpc n passengers, and they aint gonna last very long biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

damn sorry i missed this - i was probly slurping Vin Rouge in the latin quarter when you boyos were blasting each other smile.gif

I've said this before, but I'm happy to do defense, although I'm getting better on offense. I hate defense on snowblind as too often I've been left alone & it's near impossible against a couple of good players.

Flag Defense on scarabrae, i think, depends on the quality of your opposition - if you are fighting a 1st class team, who get inside yer base a number of times - you better have a shielded heavy babysitting the flag, and that heavy better have a lite supporter to help with re-arming & repairs. Otherwise, a lite or two on top of the base with turret defenses around the flag is pretty much all you need, I think. I fragged plenty of would-be flag cappers just following them into my base smile.gif

I'd happily flag-sit in heavy against a good team - otherwise you'll find me on the roof defending and if we are really kicking butt, I may venture over for some enemy base trashing smile.gif

I have probs with rollercoaster - defending is damn hard vs. those scouts - i think you really need a few defenders in a mix of armors - all equipped with chainguns & elf guns. Still, i've found if you hammer the enemy base hard and a lot, you'll severely limit their offensive ability. One of my favorite tactics is to take a scout over in a lite with a shield pack - usually I can trash both solar panels - fill their base with grenades and catch a few sneaking up on me with mines - meanwhile our flag cappers are swooping in and taking off with their flags - It is REALLY REALLY hard for a team to re-group on rollercoaster under continuous assault.

anyway - just some thoughts....maybe we should sort out some kind of roster where people put up their favourite positions against each map and work it out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

challange some of the UKTL tribes to a few friendlies, its a quick way to learn tactics (i.e. steal someone elses) or discover if yer own tactics suck. yes you may get hammered, but its better now than in the actual league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I think the case with the Rollercoaster map/scout thing is: Do it to them before they do it to you. I've noticed that the first team to get a few scouts in the air trashing the enemy's critical points(solar panels first) ala NATO airstrike, usually wins the match and ends up pi5sing off the other team no end.

Evil tactic for Rollercoaster:

Get a good LPB sniper to stand on top of your flag area, or in the hills around your base, and take down scouts before they get anywhere near your base. If they're really good, they can even take down the pilots without damamging the scouts...

Mata ne!
    Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

did that once
    suds was on his way in directly for the flag and i had just come outta the INV room on Rollercoaster and i just poped his scout with the rifle and he went BOOM!

he was annoyed to say the least smile.gif

ive done the "take out drive, dont hit vehicle" a few times too. its damn ****in hard tho smile.gif
    Bleedin' Speed Demons!

[This message has been edited by SeP (edited 07-04-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jaguar

I was trying to show u somthimg cool in the practice on friday. if you are in light and want to be real sneaky to take out heavy defenders then sneak up behind them and fek a mine unto thier back, theyll get jammed to it and blown of the ledge/map/planet.

[EM] Jaguar
    "Do or Die"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

If you have a coordinated attack planed out, this can be deadly to the other team on Rollercoaster.

A scout takes off and starts to harrass the nme base, generally taking strafing runs and buzzing around like an annoying fly, so most members of the team are working on trying to shoot the fu(cker down. So while this is going on, a sniper (mabye with a medium support who has a sensor jammer) gets in behind the hills and moves about, taking out their solar panels, very quickly. Then its time to send in the heavy artillery, as it were. A big friendly HPC (or LPC) with a few shielded heavies and lights, descends upon the base amdist the confusion. A multitude of flag captures usually follows. After that all you have to do is just keep coming back with a few small teams, not giving them enuf time to repair, plus keeping ur sniper and his medium buddy around the base if the havent been discovered. Delicious smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

One thing you have to remember about rollercoaster is that the offense lads HAVE to stay on offense no matter what. Otherwise the other team just keeps pilin in the snipers an heavies, since their invens are workin all the way through. (btw, always have 3 or 4 invens inside the shielded room for blackouts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

dar remember that night with roger wilco
    we owned practically everything for about 4 hours smile.gif
    it was deadly

gotta try n get it working again...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

ah roger wilco,

gather round an i shall tell yee a tale smile.gif

If you dont have it, get it....
    If you have the expired one, get the new one.....
    If it dont work wiv ure sound card, get a new card ...

It just kicks ass - just think about ure defenders or whatever being able to talk to each other in real-time without any noticable lag. Sweet smile.gif

www.resounding.com

[This message has been edited by Dar (edited 11-04-99).]

Advertisement