Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

addicted to crack(ing)

• 21-07-2004 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

hey, are any of ye finding that you have become addicted to cracking your joints??....nearly everyday i crack all my fingers..my hips..knees..lower back....shoulders..collarbone..toes..and the sides of my feet...tis very strange..i cant stand when others around me do it but i dont mind it when i do it...i would never crack my neck, just incase i paralyze myself though...

this site has loads of funny comments about it (if thats your kind of humour)http://www.cyber-gish.com/Blogger/archives/000343.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yup me too crack my neck + fingers
    its very relaxing :)
    dosnt bother me when other people do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Yeah, I crack all my fingers all the time. It's got so bad, I'd say I do it at least every 10 minutes, maybe more. As a keyboard player, I was starting to get very concerned about this, thinking it wasn't good for my fingers, but after a bit of reading up on it I feel better.

It has never been proven that cracking your joints causes any sort of damage, ligament or otherwise.

I have to say, I love sneaking up on certain people in the middle of the night and cracking my fingers right in their ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

i think it makes me more flexible though.....but when i crack my shoulders it is so loud..and sometimes it just happens involuntarily.....

some people say it causes arthritis but as far as i know there is no proof it causes any damage

yeah, and theres others that say its good for you because it flexs your ligaments...for a while i stopped because i got freaked out that it would cause joint damage but there really is no evidence.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Hey... if it's good enough for Hugo Weaving in the Matrix... then it's good enough for me...

one thing though, is when people crack their neck..i dont like that..it reminds me of how they kill people in the movies..you know..they come up behind them, grab thier head, and *ccraackkk*..ick

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    one thing though, is when people crack their neck..i dont like that..it reminds me of how they kill people in the movies..you know..they come up behind them, grab thier head, and *ccraackkk*..ick

aww but my neck is my favourite thing to crack

sometimes when i twist my torso my spine cracks..i dont think i should do that though....its such a delicate structure.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ì crack my fingers shoulders and oddly my knees :S

my mates tell me the knee one is a bit odd.

• Advertisement

oh ya my jaw cracks as well but thats involuntary and very anoying when im trying to eat

have you ever woken up and your jaw is stuck?? that freaks me out!!......i wonder what someone without any lower jaw would look like??..hmm disturbing...actually i did see someone like that on the discovery channel..half his face had been devoured by a flesh -eating virus...necrotising fascitis i recall...

have you ever woken up and your jaw is stuck?? that freaks me out!!./B]

no thankfuly not
    i have woken and been totaly paralyzed for a few minuted but thats something compleatly differnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

hey, are any of ye finding that you have become addicted to cracking your joints??....nearly everyday i crack all my fingers..my hips..knees..lower back....shoulders..collarbone..toes..and the sides of my feet...tis very strange..

Don't worry about it too much, and don't let it get you down. Eveyone becomes a freak on the internet and sometimes it happens in real life too. Getting a cat cures most of these kinds of ailments.

im not really worried about it....i just dont want to end up with bendy fingers......hmm cats dont like me for some reason.well animals generally dont like me...i prefer insects and reptiles. they were my substitutes for pets when i was younger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

My knees crack something wicked when my legs are stiff. Sometimes one joint or the other will get so stiff I actually start limping. I never intentially crack my knees for fear of muscle damage or something, but eventually I'll hear a loud crack and my knee will be ok again. Those people are just freaks though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    my mates tell me the knee one is a bit odd.
    Odd? I thought a very high percentage of people's knee's crack after a while of sitting down. If I'm on a bus or tight space I have to either stand up or stretch my legs out at some point to hear a loud crack.:p

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I've heard it causes arthritis, I'd be inclined to believe rather than ignore.

I mean 30-40 years down the line you don't want to be saying "ah well, I guess that guy on that forum was wrong..." sitting in a chair, unable to move for the pain.

One of those easy options :) .

Do I: A) repeatedly beat myself over the head with a stick
    or B) Chance your arm with the doctors who say it'll cause you brain damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

my thumbs alot
    sometimes my knees crack without notice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

I crack my knuckles, I would probably do that every half hour or so and sometimes I can make my toes crack but that doesn't happen all the time as I have no idea how I made the toes crack in the first place, sometimes I would just be sitting down and stretching out my legs and I would hear a crack, doesn't happen that often though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

My back cracks on a regular basis due to a vertebra injury. Also my hip will crack sometimes owing to the ever so slightly wonky angle of my back and the uneven distribution of weight when I walk.
    Kinda tricky to explain, EXTREMLY NOISEY, and not painful... but soooooooooooo funny when ppl look at me after the giant cracking noise with their eyes popping out on stalks with the shock.
    I get the feeling they think my arse is gonna fall off or something! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Originally posted by CuLT
    I've heard it causes arthritis, I'd be inclined to believe rather than ignore.
    LOL, that's a common myth but I assure you it isn't true... it's like saying masturbation will give you herpes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I crack my nuckles, my knee cracks itself but my lowerspine is the worse, when i sit down sometimes, I hear about 10 cracks down there......its liky my spinal cord is breaking to bits...it freaks me out sometimes

Is that normal? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Always crack my neck. Massive loud crack out of it.

Also - crack my fingers, thumbs, elbows and tailbone (my favourite - only get about 2/3 cracks a day outta that one)

Nishe

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

btw - it does cause arthritis.

I cant even pick up a kettle full of water (well, I can, but sometimes its very sore) without my fingers cramping and spasming.

Seriously - cut it out.

i dont think it causes any problems...i've become a lot more flexible since i started cracking my hip bones..i think it has something to do with the ligaments..i can put my legs behind my neck....i think its because when you crack you are stretching the ligaments that connect bones to each other ..or is that tendons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

*Cracks knuckles*

*Cracks toes*

*Cracks back*

*Cracks neck*

*Cracks elbows*

*Cracks knees*

*Cracks ankles*

*Cracks jaw*

Damn it, that felt good.

it said on that link that it may release endorphins so thats why you get a kind of ''good feeling'' when you crack.....

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

like to crack my toes on the floor as I sit at my desk - the pain makes me realise i am alive !!

• Advertisement

i think that when i was younger that i broke my toe without realising it and ever since then it cracks a lot...i also had a huge iron gate fall on my foot so now i have a tiny lump in my foot..i think i must have fractured a metatarsal...but it would have been worse if the gate had landed on my head because i had to roll over to avoid it killing me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

btw - it does cause arthritis.
    I spent a whole evening looking at every bit of research i could find online about this. there was no evidence i could see that points to arthritis or any other problem. if you are arthritic, its not because you cracked your fingers, that was what it was saying.

I would be interested to know if there is any articles out there that link cracking with arthritis, if you know of any please link.

Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aye, crack my fingers and neck all the time.

and the big toe on my right foot as well
    need to go see a doctor about that tbh, it happens by itself if i'm just walking around shoeless:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭CareBear

I hate people cracking their knuckles! It's really gross. My knees do crack when I'm just walking and sometimes get locked and are really uncomfortable but I wouldn't intentionally crack my bones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I used to crack me knuckles by pulling my fingers individually. I stopped doing that years ago because of the whole "you'll get arthritis fiasco". I've started cracking them alot recently for some reason, but it's by doing the old locking fingers and stretching your arms in front of you way. Think it helps relieve stress briefly. I crack my shoulders and back and ankles too but thats just for stretching purposes, it's good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kgish

I was amazed but also felt honored to have someone from this bulletin board linking to my site.

And to think it is all because of knuckle-cracking.

Actually, I have been quite surprised how much discussion has taken place concerning this wonderful habit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I must be one of the few that cracks their chest bone. I've been able to do this for a few years and although I have really enjoyed it I am starting to get pains sometimes.

I only get pains when I force a crack out of my chest as opposed to a crack coming naturally from stretching. Maybe there is a link to problems caused with cracking but maybe that link is only due to cracking when needing cracking as opposed to cracking just for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

This thread is not all it cracked up to be ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

At one point in my teens cracking knuckles was one of the many weapons - such as cupping hands as to make farting noises or quietly humming - all to annoy my teachers. At that time I could crack most every knuckle in each hand (excluding thumbs). TBH my hands started to feel a bit dodgy after a while - so I gave up.

However apart from being able to flex my nostrals with ease - I can also crack my nose - however I guess that doesn't really count 'cos its cartilage against bone - but I bet it would still frighten the crap out of Michael Jackson :D.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

MTV said said it doesn't cause arthritis, so it must be true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

When your knuckles crack it is simly built up air, or nitrogen that is released.

I crack mainly my neck and fingers, can do my back but hate it, it just doesnt feel right when I twist it and it kinda pops or when I press my spine towards my stomach and it cracks, dont like doing it but it feels like it needs to be done.

Love cracking my neck but want to know whats going on cause something I push it a bit too far and it feels weird!

Oh and did anyone ever get a thumb lock? like when you wake up and your jaw is locked but say when your playing PS2 or soemthing and your thumb just locks and ya gotta crack it back into place?? I love that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement