Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible (not likely but...) fix to your lag probs

Options
  • 12-04-1999 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Came across this at www.tribesworld.com
    Decrease your lag ... recently found a neat tweak to help eliminate lag in tribes. Like most people I would get hit by lag, sometimes pretty frequently. However, in my perusals of the net I came upon a way to reduce lag in any online game. Create a new dial-up connection just for gaming and disable error-correction and data compression. Since I have changed these setting I have had NO lag (not even a 2-3 second hiccup) in 3 days. I was shocked at the difference. No good for downloading as I can only connect a 31200 baud, but I figured people out there would wanna know about this trick

Those of you with probs might want to try this out - i remember playing quake/qII in hong kong on a 33K modem, tweaking the compression/error settings also used to help with lag.

If anyone does try it (i wont cos i'm not really suffering lag) could they reply to the post to let people know if it works?

thx,
    ck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

That's a touchy issue, and it depends on how fast you're connecting at, and your line quality - which is patchy to say the least in some parts of Ireland. I prefer to leave error correction on, as it reduces choppy p/l, whilst increasing latency only slightly.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

yeah - i didn't figure it would help in most places (regardless of what the guy says in the quote) - hence the 'not likely ..' in the subject, but maybe it'll help some desperados...

Advertisement