Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who Will Be New Centre Half for Chelsea?

• 21-07-2004 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Mourinho doesnt want to sign new players after the trip to the USA.
    But as he said himself he still needs a new centre half.

1) Do you think he will sign one now the deadline he set himself for transfers is upon us?

2) If yes then who do you think will be his most likely target?

3) Do you think he will still sign a right sided winger?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The trip to the US was more of a target than a deadline. He'll definitely sign a CB, that is a cert. Gallas, Terry and Huth isn't enough.

Chelsea signed Tiago last night so I think the midfield is now complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Fabricio Coloccini would be my guess. he will have the choice between spurs and chelsea and will cost around £3mil - £5mil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Dellas is more likely, I think but Colocinni could happen. It will be interesting to see where Tiago plays, he's a attacking/def player. IMO Tiago will not be first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

We really really needed a right midfielder tiago isnt whats going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

We really really needed a right midfielder tiago isnt whats going on

yeah johnny i was thinking about that.
    i think he may play robben and duff together and let them swap from left to right wing. i may be wrong, but yeah i agree that chelsea really need a natural right sided midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Does Geremi not play on the right? Im sure he did last season and with Middlesborough the previous season!
    I heard somewhere that Dallas wanted to move there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Carvalho or Ayala

we tried for Ayalya last year no go
    Carvalho is 20 million and porto wont budge and mourinho says he wont buy another player from porto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Cudicini
    Ferreira--Terry--Gallas--Bridge
    ---Tiago--Makelele--Lampard---
    Duff

Mutu----Drogba

Cech
    Johnson--Hutt--Smertin--Babayaro
    Geremi---Parker---Cole

Robben

Kezman----Gudjohnsen

did he not play 4-3-1-2 formation at porto? if so no need for the right winger..

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    Hutt--Smertin--
    Mourinho said he has 3 centre halfs and needs one more, he didn't class Smertin as a centre half. He wants to players for each position and both Makelele and Smertin are in competition for the holding midfielder role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Gallas and Terry is as solid a combination as anyone. Im not mad on Huth, I think (and Im sure he knows himself) that he needs to sign someone. I dont think he will be blinded by Dellas' good showing in Euro 2004 however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Phil Babb

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox

Cudicini
    Ferreira--Terry--Gallas--Bridge
    ---Tiago--Makelele--Lampard---
    Duff

Mutu----Drogba

Cech
    Johnson--Hutt--Smertin--Babayaro
    Geremi---Parker---Cole

Robben

Kezman----Gudjohnsen

did he not play 4-3-1-2 formation at porto? if so no need for the right winger..

NO he played two paly makers off 1 forward

Dellas is not a target, Pedro Emmanuel from Porto has not entered the frame. But I thought he wasn't signing anymore players from Porto? Tiago misses the first 4 weeks of the season, as well as Ronaldo and Heinze. Thats a farce.

Its going to be a diamond or 4-3-3, you can play Robben and Duff in the latter one, but in a diamond its going to be difficult. Its going to be fascinating how this is going to unfold.
    Great to see Duff in the squad for the american tour. Well done to Terry for deservedly getting the captiancy.

Goalkeepers Carlo Cudicini, Petr Cech, Lenny Pidgeley.

Defenders Paulo Ferreira, Glen Johnson, William Gallas, John Terry, Robert Huth, Wayne Bridge, Celestine Babayaro.

Midfielders Scott Parker, Gérémi, Tiago, Claude Makelele, Alexeï Smertin, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Damien Duff, Arjen Robben.

Strikers Didier Drogba, Mateja Kezman, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Adrian Mutu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

According to an interview with Cudicini I saw on Sky Sports News after the Oxford friendly last Saturday, it'll be a diamond midfield.

Oh no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

???

that makes no sense with the players he has at his disposal!

if anything a 4-3-3 would make sense with the full backs acting as extra wingers and two strikers up front playing off duff or robben.
    two holding midfielders, makalele and smertin
    and lampard joining attacks when he can.

diamond is a bit strange in my opinion.

but then again, murinhio did win the UEFA cup and Champions league back to back.

I'm not a fan of diamonds but if he was to use it it would look something like this:

..............................Cudicini..............................

Ferreira...........Gallas.........Terry...........Bridge

.............................Makelele.............................

.........Lampard.........................Duff.................

...........................Robben................................

...............Drogba...............Gudjohnson...........

Actually, if you think about it, bringing Robben closer to the forwards that could be also classed as a 4-3-3.

Looking forward to tonights game against Celtic but Drogba Tiago and Ferreria will not be playing, they are simply there to meet thier team mates.
    Huth, Johnson, Gudjohnsen and Geremi will be the only 4 getting 90 mins.
    According to reports today Carvallho is first choice and Coloccini is second.

• Advertisement

The Chelsea -v- Celtic match is on the link below if anyone is interested. All the matches will be on that channel AFAIK.

http://rtlztv.rtl.nl/rtlzbroad

I really enjoyed that game. Chelsea went 1-0 with a 20 yarder from Smertin. Young Beattie equalised after a fine move. Chelsea went ahead again in the second half through Gudjohnsen after a good run by Robben. 3-1 up through Kezman after good work by Gudjohnsen. Beattie pulled one back with an unmarked header, Kezman got his second after a solo run by Johnson.
    Kezman will get the headlines no doubt but its Geremi who impressed me.

According to unconfirmed reports Carvallho is in London today with just a medical to sort out, 12 mil I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

The Carvalho deal is for £17M rising to a potential £24M.

Advertisement