Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zone Alarm and DSL

• 21-07-2004 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Is any one else using Zone alarm on there system and DSL as I tryed to Install it last night and the DSL would Not Really Work after i ran it

I have looked at all the settings but nothing popped out at me

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

uninstall zone alarm get ur dsl working then reinstall it or sygate and it should work better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

DSL Works Fine when I deactivate or stop running the zone alarm ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

What type of modem do you have? An ethernet one or a USB one?

You have to add your local LAN to the trusted zone section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

I had to ditch zonealarm. I found it and Azureus didn't play too well together. My symptons were, download speed dropping to zero yet a connection was still present. Additionally, when this happened a lot of programs which accessed the Internet just hung. Only solution to the problem was a reboot.

I spent ages on this problem, checking drivers, reinstalled XP(been meaning to do this for a while), hassled Netsource - all to no avail. Then I "read the f***ing manual" on the azureus site, followed by the support forums for zonealarm. Seems quite a few people are experiencing problems with Zonealarm. So I promptly uninstalled Zonealarm and started happily using Sygate.

Info here : http://azureus.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/ZoneAlarm
    and here : http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs

Whatever floats your boat really. I find it great! Once you tell it what programs should have access, it doesn't give much hassle at all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I use Zonealaram with Netsource DSL, no problems, even works fine with VPN software. I highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

zonealarm has been known to cause many problems with different setups. A quick google would throw up some of the many issues that have been and are being experienced by users.

Sygate is good, kerio is good, black ice defender i've heard about, but never used. Norton is very bulky and hard to use.

I've tried Sygate, Kerio and Norton, and found kerio to be the one that suits me best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

Zone alarm can be great at the start but then the logs and database it uses easilt get currupted and it can take an age to load on start-up..
    Don't use it with XP there are loads upon loads of probs. do a google.

I've been using "bitdefender" from softwin and it really lite and good. but you need to know which ports to block and there is no wizard etc. It has no reall overhead and I find it great.

Kerio would be my second choice but after time it can also become an overhead.
    I'd personnally recomen reinstlling your firewall every month to keep the overhead low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

Im about to give you the best adive you will get on this matter, invest in a good DSL router enable NAT and your firewall and your set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

i use zonealarm with dsl, I find it fine but I always have to deactivate it when I'm accessing files on the Lan as I have the highest settings enabled in ZA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I have zonealarm running on my XP machine. No problems at all.
    I'm on Netsource DSL btw.

I'd recommend it without a doubt.

I tried Norton firewall but had fierce problems with it.

ambrose :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Batbat
    Im about to give you the best adive you will get on this matter, invest in a good DSL router enable NAT and your firewall and your set

I have that and I use zonealarm on windows machines and IPTables in Linux.

Multiple layers of security lead to better security.

I'm surprised I've been using zonealarm since it came out a few years ago and I never surfered from any of the problems people have described here.

I think people aren't using it properly.

Originally posted by ando
    i use zonealarm with dsl, I find it fine but I always have to deactivate it when I'm accessing files on the Lan as I have the highest settings enabled in ZA.
    You're better off adding your lan to the trusted zone instead of disabling it completely...it may take 60 seconds longer to do ... but it's worth it. TRUST ME :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

Noone has mentioned versions - I presume you are all aware that there is a major problem with ZoneAlarm 5?

I have been using ZA for the last year with no problems 'till I upgraded to version 5. Then my system went to hell and back. They have admitted themselves that there is a problem and are recommending reverting to version 4 [I'm currently running 4.5.594.000 with no problems]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

yes richardo, I forgot my problems were happening with an upgrade to v5, I tried uninstalling and reverting back to v4 but still had problems (perhaps something didn't uninstall cleanly??)

But happy with sygate now, everything is sweet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MrPunch

I had the same problems with the upgrade to ZA 5.0. Since I had purchased the pro version I was a bit annoyed.

First time I unistalled, and reverted to 4.5 the truevector engine driver remained the wonky v5.0 one. You can check in Overview->Product info the file versions used.

After checking the ZA support site, the technique to do a complete nuke uninstall was found, and it worked a treat. I'm now back to 4.5.594 with no problems, apart from the usual 'An update is available, would you like to download?' message every few days :)

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've used ZoneAlarm from day 1 and never had any problems at all.

At first I was using USB DSL, but now i'm on ethernet. No issues at all.

ZoneAlarm works brilliantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Originally posted by bk
    I'm surprised I've been using zonealarm since it came out a few years ago and I never surfered from any of the problems people have described here.

I think people aren't using it properly.

No mate - I was the same as you until recently.
    Swore by zonealarm.

Every version I had used up to 4.5x was excellent.

All 5.x releases have been awful.
    They install fine, work for an hour or so and then jsut die (taking down windows 2k with it).

Now using Sygate.
    It's not quite as polished but it is more granular (app/port control) and, well, frankly.. it works.

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Kerio offers more fine control than Sygate if thats what you're looking for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement