Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantoms licence application now available online

Options
  • 21-07-2004 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just a quick note for those interested in reading Phantoms application for the Alternative Rock Licence currently being advertised by the BCI.

All five of the applications are available for viewing in the BCI Headquarters on Warrington Place (just ring and make an appointment), will be available in the ILAC library from later this week and are available on line at: BCI Website

They are all in PDF format so you will need the free Acrobat Reader, available at: Acrobat Reader Website

Next step is the shortlisting of applications. This will take place on September 6th.

All reviews and queries welcome.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Very interesting stuff, and after looking through all of the applications, I can see how Phantom will have the edge in many places (and not just because you've been around for so long). You have Irish backers, all of whom have a big part in the music industry, you plan on sourcing talent from colleges with relevant courses (which I personally am thankful for), you have plans such as location and design set out, and you have a low cost base which is important as other new Dublin stations are still running in debt.

I think XFM has the instant disadvantage of being a foreign company (and so lacks the full understanding of the Irish market). Radio 11 seems like (and no offense to them) a bit of a unprofessional operation. Raw's application made me cringe ("its got to be"??), although it does have big money backing. The phantom application does however point out the dangers of consolidation of the radio market, and this may be a factor in the BCI decision. Zed FM seems to be an ok proposal, probably (IMO) the best next to Phantom. It's backers are from the industry, and I didnt notice any big corp. backing it. The fact that they dont have the actual practical exp. like phantom will shorten their chances, and I would be slightly suspicous of their ability to provide for up and coming radio talent (presenters/journalists), which is something they fail to cover in their app. They also dont have any proposed premesis, and out of the three stations (from what I can gather) Phantom would be the 1st on air (early March 2005)

Anyway, the very best of luck, I would love to be able to help out in some way, but at this point its all up to the BCI and their board.

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

wasn't the phantom licence proposed to be on air on the 1st july 2005?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

One question I have is how pervasive advertisement will be when phantom gets the license? How many minutes out of the hour will be devoted to it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

the application states that 6 minutes per hour will be ads, as far as i remember, gerard.
    That might be off peak only, or on peak only, can't quite remember though...

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

yeah, phantoms was 1st july/june if i remember correctly.

i remember xfms to be the 1st of april too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭McGonagles

(I just had to get a Zappa quote in)

While Googling for articles about the license application,
    I stumbled across this:

http://www.allaboutbuses.com/40709-phantom.html

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

cool, you learn something new everyday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ozone6280

Just read the above article a great way to go to the bci and nice pictures . You really love to do it in style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bheansidhe

No matter the commercials - they're sadly an annoyance that we all must deal with on a daily basis, or the time given them, Phantom should be granted a most full and permanent licence for it is one of the best alternative rock stations out there - and I say out there as the world can listen via the net...and it does :) Not only does the station play great music 24/7 but it also does its utmost to help promote Irish talent, culture, and is very informative as to the local goings-on... I miss listening to Jack's twisted traffic reports and his impromtu omages to Bill Hicks, not to mention the brilliant veriaty of music that Ritchie played - always, and can Sunday be a Sunday without the "two petes talk rubbish" ? Awww, I miss you guys, can you tell?

Get thee arse back on the air with most haste!

Take care & Best of Luck

Ps* A big "canadian" wave hello to all the chatters ;) Miss you all and hope that you're all enjoying a fav summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

looking through the lot it seems phantom is the one that i would see having the edge with regard to winning (is that the right word?) the licesnse. zed fm would be, in my opinion, the primary threat. obviously xfm is a big name, but because they're not irish, they run the problem of not knowing the irish market, or so it's perceived anyway.

either way, good luck and i REALLY hope phantom gets the license. we need you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 jonbon

very very very best of luck Pete and the Phantom dudes and dudesses, I will be UTTERLY DELIGHTED if you make it! Sadly I'll be out of the country September 6th, but best of Irish to you all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hacker666

Phantom FM better get the licence, i dont wanna see raw or xfm getting it, whos with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ozone6280

The shortlist of applicant that the BCI wish to interview shall be put up on the BCI site monday 6th after their monthly meeting. Thanks to Mister807 on the radiowaves.fm forum for this info. SO be sure to check it out to see who will be going against Phantomfm for the Licence. Best of luck to all at Phantom.

Advertisement