Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility

• 20-07-2004 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭

not really quite sure how I should be doin this but here goes! I'm livin in athy co kildare and want broadband, simple enough you'd think seen as it is available ere cos my brother who lives across the road has it but after my recent corrospondance with eircom (or eircon) it seems I can't get it! I've no problems paying for it but they say my line is not able for it! No offer of explaination or anything just no you're not able and beep beep beep.......... I rang back again and asked why I can't get it and still no reason! so I asked is there any way I could be informed when I'll be able to get it and still no is the reply I get! I was tempted to just put my pc back in it's box and return it to the shop out of temper but a friend of mine who's actually been barred from this site told me I should try posting this here and see has anyone had a similar experience or can help me out! I'm really very annoyed over this specially seen as my bro across the rod can get it and I can't! I mean his house aint even 50 yards away and both houses were built at the same time runnin off the same exchange! can anyone offer me some help I'm sick to death of eircon and I'm not even with them a month yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Ya see..... When eircom laid the lines to ur house they probably used low quality copper. Ireland is full of Low quality copper wiring. Even new houses. Especially new houses. Kildare housing estates are the worst cos there all just thrown up in weeks. Lots of crap wiring in the past number of years. Eircom recently had to re-lay half the wiring in the Phoenix Park cos of it.

When u make a phone call how is the quality. You can usually tell from that.
    You can try and get ur line upgraded? Don't know how much it would cost tho.....

Sorry I cant be more help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

thanks for your post! I'm just still mystified as to why they (eircon) don't offer any kind of help! AT ALL!! just "NO YOU CAN'T HAVE IT....." am I a bold child askin for too much??? All I want is a li'l aul connection! my big brother across the road has it and no problems there! maybe there's a conspiracy goin on I've suspected it all my life bein a middle child!!!!!!! Or maybe I'm just a moaner!!! answers on a poastcard to the usual address................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Split from the sticky because it isn't suitable there.

Oh right sorry bout that just it seemed the most appropraite place to be for me... nice to see it's being taken as a serious issue though! I've posted on other forums and been ignored!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Iri$hKeLt

Eircom are a pack of FUC*I*G WA**ERS

They said Broadband would be all over Ireland by 2003 at no sign of it even half of Ireland!

What fuc*ing piss*s me off is there slogan "Eircom Boradband - Theres No stopping you now" What to f*ck theres a hell of a lot stopping me I CANT GET IT!

• Advertisement

Ok yes I'm tick over it but I think you may go sit in the corner and have a chat with yourself till you calm down! but I do agree with you in principle just no need for all the swearing! yeah?? Goin to ring them (eircon) every few days now ordering a line test and a few of my neighbours are goin to do the same! maybe they might get thrir arse in gear if we torment them enough!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Try Iol have heard stories of Eircom failing lines that Iol have passed and it has been fine.
    They are the same product jsut different companies

thanks! will give them a try so! I'm completely new to this and it's really frustrating when you hit a brick wall with somethin like this if it hadn't been for my friend convincing me to try this forum I'd have my pc back to the shop and I'd be lookin for somethin else to spend 1500 EURO on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Another possibility would be to share your brothers connection over a wireless network. Ye may be able to get more speed for the same price as it would cost you to have two separate connections

yeah? I Will look into that also, this is so helpful! I never knew there would be so many people out there that'd take the time to help me! You've restored my faith in mankind!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

Originally posted by smokey2
    not really quite sure how I should be doin this but here goes! I'm livin in athy co kildare and want broadband, simple enough you'd think seen as it is available ere cos my brother who lives across the road has it but after my recent corrospondance with eircom (or eircon) it seems I can't get it! I've no problems paying for it but they say my line is not able for it! No offer of explaination or anything just no you're not able and beep beep beep.......... I rang back again and asked why I can't get it and still no reason! so I asked is there any way I could be informed when I'll be able to get it and still no is the reply I get! I was tempted to just put my pc back in it's box and return it to the shop out of temper but a friend of mine who's actually been barred from this site told me I should try posting this here and see has anyone had a similar experience or can help me out! I'm really very annoyed over this specially seen as my bro across the rod can get it and I can't! I mean his house aint even 50 yards away and both houses were built at the same time runnin off the same exchange! can anyone offer me some help I'm sick to death of eircon and I'm not even with them a month yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im in the same position that you are in, only im in an even more ludicrous situation, a house that is a 2 doors up (less than 30metres) from mine can get dsl, yet i can't get dsl. and as far as i know, we're on the same exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Smokey2.

are your lines coming in from a pole, or under ground?

If they are coming in from a pole, and its the same pole your brother is connected too then you could try and persuade Eircom to replace the wire from the pole to your house.

If they refuse perhaps an accident could be arrange ? I know it is a desperate measure, but then we all know €ircom are a desperate shower.... The alternative as suggested above is to share the connection with your brother and at least have the consolation that €ircom are losing out on revenue from two seperate connections.

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I have written lots about this in the past, as have others. Do a search if you want to find more info. I won't write it again.
    I echo the sentiment of the guy who suggested sharing with your brother wirelessly. It is very easy to do and not very expensive. Coverage might be the only problem but if he puts an external antenna on his house and you do, it is definately going to work. In fact, if you both had equipment in a window facing each other, it should work fine also.
    My neighbour in the next apartment a foot away could get it and I couldn't. That was two years ago. I got a relation who live 200yds away to have it installed and have been sharing it wirelessly since then. We split the cost and both have a great deal. The only way to go. I would share with your brother even if I could get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Mr_Man
    If they refuse perhaps an accident could be arrange ? I know it is a desperate measure, but then we all know €irom are a desperate shower....

My favourite acccident involved the mysterious total removal of 150m of cable. Once it was replaced the dude passed.

I have BEGGED him to tell the story on here for a bit of light relief for us all .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

I think the problem is the governmental directives on this. Eircom know they will make a lot more money out of someone in a small town that isn't dsl serviced if they are on ISDN. About half that, if they need the internet and are only on PSTN.

There needs to be goverment action to make this happen. (They might be a PLC but they are still living the PT&T mentality)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by MarVeL
    Another possibility would be to share your brothers connection over a wireless network. Ye may be able to get more speed for the same price as it would cost you to have two separate connections

this is good advice
    if you have no idea how to set this up maybe people on this http://www.irishwan.org/board/ board can help you

that will show eircom both of ye getting dsl for one monthly fee :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Hmm, perhaps "accidents" could be arranged country wide? A strange new phenomonen that could only be explained by pod people or lgm (little gray men/women)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DaUnforgiven

We have two lines for isdn and a fax line at work and the first time I rang them, I was told that there was no problem but to ring back the next week because the free offer was being extended for another month starting from the following week.

When I rang back the next week, I was told that it was only available to me on the fax line but i held off to talk to the boss to see if he still wanted to keep the other two lines.

So i got back to them again a few days later and was told that its available on one of the isdn lines and ordered it.

What im getting at is that the whole thing seems a bit dodgy so it could be worth your while checking with eircom every few days to see if its available to your number.

Failing that, wireless is a good option unless the download cap is a problem for ye.

Edit: Oh yeah, and good place to learn about wireless networking is howstuffworks.com

OH MY GOD!!!! There's a lot of help!! Thanks guys I really mean it!! I think we'll give the wireless thing a go but I'll stay on €ircons case cos the cap could be a problem as my bro lives on his pc but as I'm fairly new to it aint really on that often just bb would give me the speed and reliability I crave! anyway I'll keep this thread runnin so as to let you all know how I'm gettin on with it all!!! thanks and any more ideas will be much appreciated!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Split from the sticky because it isn't suitable there.

Was wondering why this thread had over 20,000 views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

It started out life as the sticky at the top of the forum, then got unstickied, but the original sticky remains. :)

It must have just taken the number of views with it.

I dunno why myself but if anyone has any ideas let me know!
    I was surprised When I read your message cos I hadn't noticed myself!!
    guess it must be a topical issue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GenericName

Same deal with my house. Apparently we can't get it. However on my road (20 houses) I know of 8 who have installed. Two of those are neghbours two doors down on each side. Don't get it!
    I live in a 14 y/o housing estate in Leixlip. Could be the crappy Kildare phone lines someone spoke of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

You have to realise that the line test is crap. You can improve your chances by disconnecting everything from any phone sockets and ask for a retest. You need to get past the biddies in order to get a retest done. Alternatively disconnect everything and wait until the monthly automatic test is run.

seriously?? cos eircon told me I had to have a phone plugged into it at all times to do the test cos when they activated my account I had no phone (it was on loan to a neighbour) and I went and bought one for this reason!!

Advertisement