Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad news re last Starwars episode 1

• 21-07-2004 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

This is horrible news, I was watching the trailer for the origional Star wars triligy which is coming out in September finally, and they had a brief preview of SW1, and lo and behold who is in it but that terrible gimp actor who played young Darth vader in Clones, I had thought they would drop him like JarJarr.

If Lucas does not have cop on enough to replace him with an older different actor then what hope do we have for this movie.

Plus I never though I would say hthis but I hope the reduce the amount of CGI.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Where's the trailer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What *are* you talking about?

Are you talking about Star Wars episode III?

Yes, it will have the same dude for Anakin as Ep II, and unfortunately, yes, it has Jar Jar binks too.

It's not out until next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

sorry I get mixed up with the numbering, yeah Episode 3, its out next year, the september date is was talking about is the Star wars trilogy DVD being released in september. hope thats clearer

link is here with trailer

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001ZE1OU/ref=ed_best_h_1/026-0046776-2362013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hayden Christensen is actually a very good actor.... have you seen Shattered Glass?

The problem with clones was the script and the director, not Christensen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I heard that he originally wanted to get Di Caprio for the role of Anakin.Thought he would have been a good young Vader, definitely better than that plank that they used.

• Advertisement

I have no doubt that the director brought out the worst acting

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

BatBat how exactly is this news? Hayden Christensen's appearance in Episode III has been known for years now! I mean it's not exactly revalatory is it? And despite what you may think, he can act - go check out his performance in "Shattered Glass". It's just hard to emote when you've got a weak director behind the camera forcing you to read script whose dialog is so poor it's laughable (literally, as was the case when I saw "Attack of the Clones").

ixoy yes I agree, I think its the directors fault, I have noticed in other films that sometimes good actor give a horrible performance and its because of the director, I was just hoping they would have a much older vader before he was scarred, and I was put off by his performance from clones, just dissapointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Lucas is a very ineffectual director. If I remember it correctly there was a quote from Harrison Ford during the making of one of the original three:

(paraphrased) "You may write this shít, but you can't expect me to say it!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

star warts is muck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by adonis
    star warts is muck
    what a constructive post.

and its not the actor like others have said. its definatly the director. lucas cant write dialog.

[edit]adonis, thanks for the spelling :)[/edit]

constructive.
    i wasnt attempting to be constructive, just a point of view.
    Star Wars is way too overrated.

Star wars in not muck, perhaps you have only seen the new star wars, the first 3 are classic

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Eh, I think that there's more than a few people who might disagree with you there. For a start, how can someone who (rightly) criticises Jar Jar Binks defend a movie in which little koala impersonators defeat the Imperial army with sticks and stones?

That said, Empire Strikes Back was class. I thoroughly approve of a film ending on such a bleak note.

ive seen all of the star wars films, the first one is awful absolutely awful.
    if it wasnt for harrison ford's camp performances the films would have been nothing.
    i seriously think they are really really over rated.
    And as for the two new ones ? barring nathalie portman they are nothing.

i think the reason people like star wars is that it reminds them of a forgotten childhood.

The star wars films cant hold a candle to any of the LOTR films.

Originally posted by Fysh
    Eh, I think that there's more than a few people who might disagree with you there. For a start, how can someone who (rightly) criticises Jar Jar Binks defend a movie in which little koala impersonators defeat the Imperial army with sticks and stones?

That said, Empire Strikes Back was class. I thoroughly approve of a film ending on such a bleak note.

well Im not a big fan of the ewoks myself, in defence of return of the jedi the ewocs did get screwed for most of the movie except the end ofcourse but the vader emperor jedi stuff is priceless and so is the Jaba palace stuff. I would agree empire was the best overall, but number 1 was excellent also, over all theyre a classic in my view, even with the flaws.

dont get me started on the new stuff though, pure garbage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

c.h.i.l.d.r.e.n.s. m.o.v.i.e. :duh:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Originally posted by Victor
    c.h.i.l.d.r.e.n.s. m.o.v.i.e. :duh:

Congratulations on pointing out the blindingly obvious, as if I wasn't already aware of it.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I'll reiterate my point : it's a kids movie, and not a particularly good one at that, and certainly not a classic, contrary to what many have claimed. Jar Jar Binks is simply the updated CGI version of the damn Ewoks, hence my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

I heard this rumour now it is a rumour. But....

Supposedly on the trilogy boxset at the end of ep6 the final one. At the end there gonna remove the actors head in the cloud who played darth/anakin and replace it with Hayden Christensen's face.

Just a rumour.

Originally posted by Juggalo

Supposedly on the trilogy boxset at the end of ep6 the final one. At the end there gonna remove the actors head in the cloud who played darth/anakin and replace it with Hayden Christensen's face.

Just a rumour.

god no sweet jesus no please dear lord no, dont even joke about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

I've heard some well cheesed up rumours about ep3.

Apparently Chewbacca is in it.

And the fight at the end between vader and kenobi apparently has the 2 of them on "surfboards" surfing over LAVA and lightsaber fighting at the same time.

How fúcking stupid is that? (well - as stupid as the rest of the star wars movies I suppose).

Bring on the hobbit for more bilbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

i heard hayden christiansen wears womens knickers. i heard it from george lucas's cousins postmans dog so it must be true.

i heard hayden christiansen wears womens knickers. i heard it from george lucas's cousins postmans dog so it must be true.

I'm telling you the lava-surfing thing IS true (well - its planned so far anyway - read it on Empire Magazine's website). Also the chewbacca thing is true. Seen photos of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Just a rumour.

hang on... do you mean the bit at the very end with yoda, obi and anakin?
    why would they do that? isnt he supposed to be what anakin would look like as an older man?

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

yeah this movie is going to suck big one.
    and its entirely george (the talentless hack) lucas's fault.. .
    i get the feeling its going to be worse than the coma inducing aotc's ..
    that scene where anakin and whatsherface frolic through the fields caused me physical pain..

hayden ("the plank":D) christianson isnt that bad as people have said, its just that when the whole thing is hacked together, with the new footage included for all of the old and new episodes (directed by george), its going to be horrible mountain of cheese and goo and stale goo etc etc.. ..

the only two proper good star wars films were the ones without georgey at the helm.. empire strikes back being excellenté ..

imho.:)

lmao @ lava-surfing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

Originally posted by flogen
    hang on... do you mean the bit at the very end with yoda, obi and anakin?
    why would they do that? isnt he supposed to be what anakin would look like as an older man?

flogen

Yeah I do mean that bit. But that is why I said rumour 3 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Yeah I do mean that bit. But that is why I said rumour 3 times.

old.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Err..

how can someone ... defend a movie in which little koala impersonators defeat the Imperial army with sticks and stones?

Lucas keeps ruining his films by altering them to make them more appealing to little kids. In his book Endor was inhabited by Wookies, not Ewoks. That would have made for a much better film.

Little koala impersonators defeat the Imperial army with sticks and stones? no way
    Marauding wookies defeat the Imperial army with sticks and stones? possibly

It's like the scene in the cantina in IV that he changed for the 'enhanced' videos that came out a few years back where Guido shoots at Han Solo first. The old version was fine and I don't think anyone could be in doubt that HS killed Guido because he was stuck in a kill or be killed situation but Lucas had to change the scene to hammer home the point that it was a defensive killing.

As to the directing & dialogue. I think having Lawrence Kasdan work with him on the screenplays for V and VI helped a lot. I think it shows that while he's ok at coming up with a story, he needs a bit of help on the screenplay.

I'd agree with everything you said - the premise I don't mind; the films aren't particularly high concept, but the story's fine. The problem I have always had is the dialogue and the kid-friendliness. But then, I suspect this is the result of financial considerations....

• Advertisement

A bit off topic perhaps:

Anyone see the deleted scenes in Attack of the Clones? That one where Anikin has dinner with Padme (and her folks I think). What the heck? What a loada rubbish. That whole storyline chugs the big one.
    george (the talentless hack) lucas

TEE HEE

Advertisement