Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 standard edition delayed till October

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Incidentally i think we'll see it around 6th of august here. Well at least those who order from england will!

" The official street date is actually August 5th in the U.S.A., but some of your favourite stores will probably have it early for those of you who have to have it first," he wrote, before moving onto the subject of international releases, including Europe.

"Internationally, the game will take a few more days to make it to the store shelves. The UK will probably get it first, on or about August 6th. Everywhere else will probably be Friday, August 13th (que Twilight Zone Theme) or close to that date, with just a few exceptions (e.g. Russia and Poland). This isn't because we don't have love for you folks outside the U.S., but the localization and manufacturing process takes a bit longer outside the U.S. where we will have JVC run 24/7 to get the units built. I guess the European manufacturers prefer to give their employees nights and weekends off. Go figure!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Originally posted by Absolam
    So it's back to the old mantra...shop around before you buy!

Sod that, but I'd rather have it in my hands and be playing it ASAP. For the sake of 5-10 euro. I've ordered from play. It'll arrive when it arrives and until then I'm trying to stay as calm as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by bizmark
    i emailed play.com about the whole standered/special edition thing they have no information about it so i would assume theres no speical edition

There was a special edition of Doom3 mentioned on Electronics Boutique, but I can't find it any more. It may have been removed. The edition was the same as the standard except it had a peuter Pink Demon figure or some such and appeared to be exclusive to EB.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Originally posted by [CrimsonGhost]
    Sod that, but I'd rather have it in my hands and be playing it ASAP. For the sake of 5-10 euro. I've ordered from play. It'll arrive when it arrives and until then I'm trying to stay as calm as possible.

you? stay calm? like thats gonna happen... :p
    Mr Impatient...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Originally posted by monument
    I’ve banned ‘Batbat’ and 'RE*AC*TOR' from this forum, as when they posted where to get an illegal copy of Doom 3 they broke the following rule…

1. Posting about Warez.
    This means that if you post anything on how to obtain, copy, hax0r, backup, get a serial number for or otherwise copy or circumvent copy protection. We don't care if you want to back up your perfectly legal copy of The Sims. Copying protected cd's is off-topic anyway. There is a zero tolerance for this. If you break this rule, you will be permanently banned and your post will be edited and/or deleted.

Please take the time to read the Games Charter.

Wow u did some propper work for once instead of messing around with other ppls posts for your own ammusment.
    Its still good to see ppl banned for that tho.

On to this topic.

If you are going to buy from game go in soon and order it. Game said they will only get in copes of the game for those that pre-order it.
    I still havent figured out if Game and Gamestop will have The deluxe edition of doom3 for the extra 10E
    Also i hear that Xtra-Game have doom3 deluxe for 50E true or fale? i dont even know where Xtra game is located

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

This just in from the wonderful people at mx2.co.uk :/
    Dear Customer

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Latest update with reference to Doom 3 on PC.

We now have email confirmation from Activision the game publisher, stating
    the following.

"There is a limited edition launch on 13th August. This will be a normal
    scanavo case inserted into a premium card box outer.
    The premium box will be available for a limited time only (roughly 8-10
    weeks), after which the card outer will be removed, leaving just the
    standard edition in the marketplace."
    Would you like to keep your existing order with us or change your order?

Please can you reply to this e-mail stating:-

Limited edition requested (£24.95)
    Release Date 13th August 2004

or

Standard edition requested (£17.95)
    Release Date Mid October 2004

No Credit Cards will be charged until goods are despatched.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and yet another email having to be
    sent. We wanted to keep you informed so that you may make changes to your
    order should you wish to.

Thanks in advance
    Kind Regards
    MX2 Stock Control.

So I have the choice of paying an extra EUR10.50 to get my preordered game at the initially-advertised-by-mx2 release date with - get this - A CARDBOARD BOX COVER. Alternatively, I can wait 2+ months for what I ordered at the price I ordered. I mean they even state that in october all they will be doing is _removing_ the cardboard covers to turn special into standard.

Suffice to say I'll be mailing them to cancel this order and to complain about the whole ridicolous stunt, and let them know they just lost a first-time customer who had actually placed a CC order (if you know anything about online stores, these are the hardest to get)

Play.com have Aug 13th release date, no mention of 1337 carboard boxes, and a delivered price of EUR42.50. I think i'll be going with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I still confused will shops on the ST have the special edition on the 13th like the onlone shops?

my complaint / order cancellation to mx2.co.uk.. doubt I get anything back.
    Dear Lesley,

After reading your latest email I would firstly like to cancel my preorder for Doom 3 from mx2.co.uk and secondly let you know exactly why I am doing this - perhaps you can forward this on your complaints dept or someone in management and gain something from it.
    Here are my order details:
    Order Number: xxxx
    Order Date: 2004/07/15 20:36

As you can see, I placed my order on the 15th of July. At that time you had no mention of special vs standard edition and just one price and one release date (early August, like your competitors)- and I was happy to place my order on the basis of your competitive price and the recommendation of a friend who had used you before.

However, after several emails that have only been answered in bulk it now turns out that I have two options:
    - pay £7 extra for a Special Cardboard Cover & the game on the release date you listed on your site when I placed my order. (this is the Special Edition)
    - wait 2+ months for the game at the price you listed on your site when I placed my order. Apparantly you will remove the Special Cardboard Cover before sending me the game. (this is the Standard Edition)
    Unfortunately (for you) there is a third option, which I will be taking: buy elsewhere.

Nowhere else (high st stores, other online retailers, the activision site (!), or ID themselves) have I found that is selling two versions of the game. I can only guess that either everyone else is keeping it quiet, or you have exclusive reselling rights to the Special Cardboard Cover. In any case, the result is the loss of a first-time buyer from your site (historically the 'hardest' type of purchaser to convert for an online store) who won't be coming back.

Please let me know when the order has been cancelled, and if you have any comments on my feedback please don't hesitate to contact me at this address.

Yours Sincerely,
    xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Got exactly the same standard email.

Cancelled the order. Waiting for a reply.

Just ordered from play.com and noticed a nice note both on the site before I confirmed payment and in my confirmation email:
    Please note: If the price of the above item changes before it is dispatched, you
    will be charged the lower price.

Nice to see :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lawlost

I too pre-ordered Doom 3 'Standard edition' from mx2.com. Sent off an e-mail asking why the October release date and got the following friendly reply:

Dear Sir/Madam,

You have ordered the standard edition which is not released until october.

Err well that is rubbish. Same as the other posts nobody else has ever heard of a 'standard edition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

This cardboard box is a 'special edition'? That's a bit crap to be sure.

Bought mine in Virgin, cardboard and all.. I actually looked around for a special edition box before going to the counter.

They must be jokeing charging an extra £7 for that!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Lawlost, they may be just feeding you with crap, cancel the order and buy in some where else online or on the high street.

Got mine today; cardboard over a dual DVD case, I'm thinking it's the 'Standard Edition' - 44.99 euro in World of Wonder in Ballina. I just never got around to pre-ordering it of play or cdwow.

monument wrote:
    cardboard over a dual DVD case

That's the special edition alright.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lawlost

Interestingly MX2.com have not replied to my e-mail asking what the difference is and why the wait till October. Having trawled the net I have found that gameplanet.co.uk has a Doom 3 Limited edition £29.99 and another Doom 3 £27.99 both available now no waiting till October! I could buy from another supplier but this is a point of principal now. If there is no 'standard edition' or if the 'standard edition' was released simultaneously then MX2.com have induced consumers into entering into buying from their site without being able to fulfill the contract till October. Perhaps they are hoping to people will not go to the hassle of cancelling. :mad:

Have a look at my emails from/to mx2.com on page 2 of this thread.

Basically: activision(the publisher) came up with the 'special price' edition.
    You haven't seen it mentioned by any other retailers because everyone else is charging the higher price (ie selling you the special edition) but saying nothing (probably a good idea).

Mx2.com are apparantly trying to be transparant. I cancelled my order from them because they changed the goods _after_ I had placed my order. Other retailers (eg play.com) have notices saying 'if the price changes on this preorder, you pay the lower'.

Advertisement