Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BroadBand Questions

• 21-07-2004 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I have recently been informed by the family that they are thinking of getting broadband into the house when I return home (in Germany at the mo). So I went and had a little look around the net for various items only to realise that there is a lot about broadband that I dont know! So I'm going to ask some questions here!

Well, I was looking at routers as there is more than one computer in the house (family pc and mine ). I noticed that many have a built in firewall.

1. Are these firewalls up to scratch?

2. Are they difficult to configure? Max 3 pc's, although when my mates come over maybe 2/3 more. This question applies to both router and firewall.

I also had a little look at the wireless route which would be prefered by me. Mostly so I dont have to run cables all over the house!

3. What are the security risks? I dont want some feller sitting accross the road with a laptop using my connection!

4. Is there much of a performance hit compared with a normal router?

And last but not least.

5. What are the prices like these days? I haven't been keeping up to date but I have heard of someone (complete non-techie) saying that they get it for €15/month from eircom. Bullsh*t??

Thanks everyone,
    Gobby.

(PS. This has already been posted in the broadband forum but as there is not such a great response there and as I have just noticed this forum! :o )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

eircom charges = €39.99 a month (free install i think)
    utv charges = €29.99 a month (€99 one off install fee) but you have to change to utv phone
    iol charges = free 3 month trial with free stuff

what about setting up internet connection sharing on one of the pcs??you would only need a software firewall then, might save you a few euro???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Originally posted by dbfarrell
    what about setting up internet connection sharing on one of the pcs??you would only need a software firewall then, might save you a few euro???
    Cheers for the reply. If i set up the pc's like that then I cant have my pc where I want it (in my room). I would have to have the two pc's that are sharing the connection close enough to each other. Can't be having that! :D

Thanks for the price quotes. I guess my mate has been talking a load of bullplop then! Thought as much... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

you could still set up a small wireless network and use the internet connection sharing...for download/upload caps check out web,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

I was thinking of maybe getting a wireless & port router. They quite often have firewalls built into them. I think that I would trust a hardware firewall over a software one tbh. Also, that means that I could install the router near the downstairs PC, then just buy a wireless dongle for my PC and put it wherever!

[edit] Although, a wireless network would be great for lans. It often gets very cramped in my downstairs room!

[edit no. 2] That got me thinking. Is it possible to use 2 wireless dongles to connect 2 normal hubs/switches??

Advertisement