Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people so ignorant? (staff and customers)

Options
  • 21-07-2004 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

i went into my local game shop today and i asked your one at the counter if shes taking pre-orders on The Sims 2, and she looked at me like as to say 'Who are you to ask?' then she said 'No, its not being released till after Christmas' now this is compleat bullsh!t, its being released September 17th. and i mummbled that to my friend who was with me but also loud enough for that snotty cow to hear me.

BTW who else is getting this game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's disgraceful. It's people like that who give game shop staff a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Originally posted by Zhane
    i went into my local game shop today

how about a name 'n shame?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Originally posted by lee_baby_simms
    how about a name 'n shame?

Computer World in Wexford...:dunno:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Go into most stores nowadays and the staff are pure ignorant.
    Go into any store in the US,SpainGermany and every staff member in every store are so pleasant and helpfull.
    While in Dunnes Stores last week in Liffey Valley my wife and i were getting some bits and pieces for the holliers coming up for our 21 month old son.
    When my wife asked do you have this item in whatever size she asked for ,the so called shop assistant replied i dont know ,i dont think so.
    Then when the wife asked if she could check she sighed and replied jesus i dont have the F----ing time and off she went to the stores out back sighing some more.
    Ten minutes passed and next we see herself rambling off with 2 of her mates on her lunch break with the typical arms folded with the purse/wallet in towand when she passed she was F--- ing out of her about " your one lastnight,i should have slapped the F----ing head off her"
    Now i was pissed off so on i went after her and asked her could i see her name tag,before she could think i had her name and was on the way to speak to her management.

It was her tone ,attitude and downright lack of respect and bad language that was bad enough but when she went off to check for that item her mates obviously asked her to go on her break and her attitude was feck them .
    All she had to do was say she was going on break and we would have seeked assistance of someone else.
    This arrogance in most stores is like an epidemic lately and i for one am ashamed to bring any relations or friends out to shop in this wee island of ours.
    I ask myself what is wrong with Irish society.

Rant over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

why buy from rip off high street shops when u can buy online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It was her tone ,attitude and downright lack of respect and bad language that was bad enough but when she went off to check for that item her mates obviously asked her to go on her break and her attitude was feck them .

:D

Ah that brings me back to the days..... Dealing with customers, saying "Yeah, sure, Ill go look for x,y,z for ya" heading off into the backstores and staying there for a good 15-20 minutes till they sodded off.

Or all those people whod come up to you, shove some obscure product into your face asking "How much is dis?", WTF, how the hell should I know, why dont you waddle off to the scanners that are installed specifically so customers can check the price - I just started guessing prices in the end, 1.20 for a bottle of coke and so on - I remember some woman coming back to me once, angry, after I had told her a bottle was such and such a price and she was charged more than that at the checkout. I just laughed and told her she should demand her money back from the checkout girl. If shes a woman of her word shes never shopped there again - I still sleep well.

You cant deal with customers in Ireland without slowly coming to hold all of them in utter contempt. Youre paid crap, treated like crap and it feels great to pass it back onto the customers for a change. I worked in retail for years and two things I will carry to my grave - customers are scum, and Ill never ever lower myself to working with them again.

Still, the chuckles that were there - some stupid twit pulled down a display of cans on herself from the top shelf by ripping out the bottom can. Oh, how I laughed.

And like your man said - buy online, usually cheaper and usually more stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ah other side of coin? Public are whingey ungrateful demanding cnuts.

Specially the ones the that think they know what they talking about. And i bet everyone here who complaining is usch a happy person when in their own jobs. Noone likes working and everyone a bitch in work. Just happens their work is where we go to buy things.

Also for €7 an hour think you get what you pay for in terms of staff and most Game shop staff memebrs under 21 are on about €6 an hour. Be happy if they even ackowledge you.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's the 10 day rule isn't it?

There's a 10 day lag between how management treat staff and how staff treat customers.

So if you ever meet anyone helpful in retail it's either in their first 10 days of work or their last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Sand
    :D

Ah that brings me back to the days..... Dealing with customers, saying "Yeah, sure, Ill go look for x,y,z for ya" heading off into the backstores and staying there for a good 15-20 minutes till they sodded off.

Or all those people whod come up to you, shove some obscure product into your face asking "How much is dis?", WTF, how the hell should I know, why dont you waddle off to the scanners that are installed specifically so customers can check the price
    You cant deal with customers in Ireland without slowly coming to hold all of them in utter contempt. Youre paid crap, treated like crap and it feels great to pass it back onto the customers for a change. I worked in retail for years and two things I will carry to my grave - customers are scum, and Ill never ever lower myself to working with them again.

heh man i used to do that too. The general public, as a rule, are all ignorant bastards. Most of them talk to you like something they scraped off thier shoe, and tbh, i used to love leaving them hanging for ages while id pretend to look for a price for whatever crap they wanted. Then id come back and say "Sorry, cant find a price for that". As someone said, youre treate dlike shit, paid shit, so you take it out on customers. If i got a nice customer, chances are id be nice back in most cases tho. Everyone expects floor staff etc to be cheerful, chirpy and helpful, but its hard when all day long you put up with ignorant bastards .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

It's difficult to expect great service when people are getting paid €7 an hour, but it does happen in other countries.

I also find non-Irish workers in shops to be much more efficient and friendly in their attitude. Perhaps it's a cultural thing. The Irish tend to moan about stuff a lot more other Europeans…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

The solution is quite simple. Pay them on a commision basis :D

Seriously, next time you walk in the door they'll jump at your feet. And if you ask them to reserve something, not only will they hold it for you, but they'll be calling you to let you know it's arrived!!

Without performance related pay, you're just another annoying customer ruining their day....

EDIT:
    The Irish tend to moan about stuff a lot more other Europeans…

That is absolutely not true in the least :) Have you ever worked with the UK market at all? Irish customers are a God send in comparison to the UK...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by Dcully
    I ask myself what is wrong with Irish society.

Rant over :)

Read some of the posts between yours and mine and all will become clear .

I work in the wholesale trade and have done for 20 years , the pay is crap the conditions not much better but , heh it's a job , I go in there acting like a prick then I have a ****ty day , I go in there and get on with it , deal with the customers like they are paying my wages ( ****ty an all as they are ) and heh my day ain't so bad . If you don't want to do it then **** off and get a job somewhere else .

John.

and yes the irish can be whingers , but we do nothing about it , fairplay to you cully at least you did something .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Totally agree guys that customers can be as bad but in other countries they bad too :)

Seriously though i see it myself some customers are right pains in ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by tuxy
    why buy from rip off high street shops when u can buy online?

because their ignorant people , thats what this thread is all about .

edit: and some people dont have credit cards .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

In the jobs iv had iv managed to gain new depths of contempt for two types of peolpe-customers and golfers.I was nice to them for the first two hours then I was asked to price a bag of 8 mushrooms-8 ****ing mushrooms.I then lost all human respect for customers.
    Golfers are worse-their looks of contempt as I destroy their days out by making a lot of noise satisfy me endlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Heh, I agree with the people who've been in the position.

I used to be a nice,happy, upbeat, stride in my step kinda lad.

then i started working for 7e an hour.

Now the job aint bad. Its got great perks for me and Its easy. The problem is the customers.

Fact is that alot of people seem to believe that just because your behind the counter, they are not required to be mannerly.
    I get people just walking in and pointing at stuff. Or before when it was busy, just walking in behind the counter to tell me they want something. And after it happens enough to ya, you just get fed up and snotty and tell them to **** off.

I had a customer the other day, who after myself and a friend helped sort out a problem that they created, turn round and say they weren't going to pay for the mistakes they made.
    I've also been threatened by customers too, which i've never responded well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by Joodee
    Heh, I agree with the people who've been in the position.

I used to be a nice,happy, upbeat, stride in my step kinda lad.

then i started working for 7e an hour.

Now the job aint bad. Its got great perks for me and Its easy. The problem is the customers.

Fact is that alot of people seem to believe that just because your behind the counter, they are not required to be mannerly.
    I get people just walking in and pointing at stuff. Or before when it was busy, just walking in behind the counter to tell me they want something. And after it happens enough to ya, you just get fed up and snotty and tell them to **** off.

I had a customer the other day, who after myself and a friend helped sort out a problem that they created, turn round and say they weren't going to pay for the mistakes they made.
    I've also been threatened by customers too, which i've never responded well too.

its all down to some crazy person , who put the idea in peoples heads that the customer is always right .(sure they have rights , but a huge amount of the time their wrong :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If you don't like the job/pay/management....leave. Get one you'll like rather than sitting on your arse and whining about how the people that pay for what little wage you do seem willing to accept actually expect you to (god forbid)...WORK. That's why it's spelled that way and not FUN. See the difference? W O R K - F U N .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Tbh if im nasty/rude or generally unhelpful to people i tend to have a horrible day. I try my best to help people as best i can and it makes the day go quicker, im not pissed off at the end of the day and i dont get them moanin at me.

Sure u get people who moan at ya no matter what but i say **** em. if they wanna be miserable thats their call, they aint gonna ruin my day.

I can see where all of u are coming from tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Teenage workers acting like twats and morons? Gosh.
    Middle aged customers acting like insecure snobs? Gosh.

No one's mentioned these age groups, but from working in shops and tech support (you think dunnes stores are bad, try dealing with customers that actually _have_ problems), 90% of the problems with both come from those age groups.

As for buying online? Who on earth buys clothes online; how are you meant to try clothes on, check sizes etc - unless you're a tshirt and jeans man that is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by regeneration

As for buying online? Who on earth buys clothes online; how are you meant to try clothes on, check sizes etc - unless you're a tshirt and jeans man that is.

who said anything about clothes :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Dcully was - mentioning Dunnes Stores and more teenage angst. But anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by regeneration
    Dcully was - mentioning Dunnes Stores and more teenage angst. But anyway...
    Who the hell buys clothes in Dunnes anyway:D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

who the hell bothers to ask questions in gameshops anyway? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I worked as a general operative in a tile shop. Much like your shelf stacker in Tesco or dunnes only the labour was tougher for the same pay.

I was constantly under a barage of questions like "Would these colours look good in my bathroom?". How the hell was I meant to know what their bathroom looked like? But that didn't mean I got snotty with them. You try and help them out with their decision.
    I had to explain, an extraordinary amount of times, the problems with laying tiles on wooden floors or in moist areas or outdoor etc.
    You answer the questions as best you can and you help the customer out. It reflects on you. After being there a little over a month I was moved into a sales position. A much easier job with commission.

The customer always responds better if they're treated well. I've always called them Sir or Madame and talked in clear level tones.
    When you act like that customers tend to respect you more and you don't get that look of contempt.
    There's a lot to be said for being polite and friendly.

Now what the hell is this doing in the games forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Game of Life™

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Originally posted by Raz

There's a lot to be said for being polite and friendly.

Good man Raz. Employers know that guys like you are rare and you will always earn more and feel better about yourself than the other lazy useless gits on this thread.

The moral is ... GET A JOB YOU LIKE!

I work hard in my job and when I walk in to your shop I expect you to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

I work hard in my job and when I walk in to your shop I expect you to do the same.

"just buy something or get out" comes to mind, when someone expects better service that a point to where the leaflets are :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by Raz
    I've always called them Sir or Madame

id be the same, one time though, while doing tech support for everyones favourite ISP/telco after calling a woman(snotty cow who seemed more intent on picking a fight with me than getting her computer fixed) madam, she asked me if i thought she ran a brothel. it took some self restraint to just mute her while she ranted instead of replying in the affirmative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pebble

Its good to know that very few of the people on this board will be taking up thjose valuable high paid jobs in the future.
    I look forward to ordering a Big Mac and fries from a few of you in the future.

Advertisement