Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

{Request} Mountain Bike

• 21-07-2004 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a mountain bike.
    I'd like to get a fairly decent one and plan to cycle for leisure and to get fit, but also cycle to work.
    So it need to be road worthy and be able to take a few knocks?
    Any ideas where I can get something like this without getting ripped off?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

There's a few round dublin city centre, Cycle ways behind the ilac, Cyclogical allong the liffey at the hapeny bridge.
    One piece of advice, the less frils the bike has the better the quallity ie. if your looking at a full suspension bike for around the 300 mark then you far better of spending that 300 on a rigid bike (no suspension, you don't need it anyway).
    Try to stick to big brands like spezialized, giant, Trek, Cannondale to name a few who make quality bike that will last.
    Anything else i might be able to help with just post

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

I heard cyclogical were a bit of a rip-off!

Originally posted by byrnenj
    I heard cyclogical were a bit of a rip-off!
    That i don't know but they do have good bikes.

Jozi

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, Supervalu in Donegal is selling Mountain bikes with shocks, Shimano gears, etc for €99. Maybe worth checking to see if it's a nationwide promotion.

Yeah, Aldi did a fairly nice looking bike for 250 a week ago. Didn't get a chance to go check it out though.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't go near a bike from aldi or the likes if i was looking for a bike that will get frequent use, especially if it has shocks and only 100 euro!
    Shimano is cheap by the way thats why the bike had it, i know they also make good parts!
    OF to play ut again

Jozi

Ok,

Where can I buy this :
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=5947&JServSessionIdroot=o6n6zry82r.j27007
    or this :
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6805&JServSessionIdroot=o6n6zry82r.j27007

I think that's about what I need. As long as it's in my budget. A decent bike that on and off the road.

I know it's an expensive brand, but it's also a good brand.

Ok,

Where can I buy this :
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=5947&JServSessionIdroot=o6n6zry82r.j27007
    or this :
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6805&JServSessionIdroot=o6n6zry82r.j27007

I think that's about what I need. As long as it's in my budget. A decent bike that on and off the road.

your best bet is cycle ways i think, they stock specialized so i'm sure they can order it in.

Jozi

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ok,

Where can I buy this :
    or this :

Yes, Cycleways has these bikes, you have very good taste in bikes but also expensive.

That Rockhopper is about €800 AFAIR.

BTW has anyone an opinion on Rim Brakes versus Disc Brakes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Cycleways are great, go in explain what you want and they can normally sort you out. The last bike I got there was a cannondale 4 year's old and never a problem. They also seem to give practicle advice; one guy actually advised me to spend less money for my needs!!

Unfortunatly cos I bought a decent bike I have no idea what their aftersales is like.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bk
    Yes, Cycleways has these bikes, you have very good taste in bikes but also expensive.

That Rockhopper is about €800 AFAIR.

BTW has anyone an opinion on Rim Brakes versus Disc Brakes?

All i really know is that disc brakes are better than regular brakes. But then you have good onesand bad ones, in general i think they cost a fair bit. There's hydrolic and cable versions, hydrolic being more powerfull.
    I don't think there's a need for disc brakes on a raod bike, different story if your doing down hill.

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭MikeHunt

I recently bought one from Argos.... they have a decent selection in the catalogue... cheapest decent one in the shops around town seems to be 250... argos have decent Falcon and Townsend for 150/160...

It's home delivery only - they say "it may take up to 30 days" or something rediculous like that, but they call you to arrange delivery within a week of the delivery date, and mine showed up within 8 days.

Recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

You don't need a bike like that. Cycle ways is a rip-off bike shop, like most bike shops in Ireland. Brands like Cannondale, etc are good, but American bikes are gonna cost twice as much here as they do in the states.

Any Raleigh, Townsend or those kinda bikes usually do the job but are bad bikes (the standard bikes in shops all over Ireland)

So stick to a good brand (Kona, Specialized, Saracen) and get their bottom range bike ( should be about 300 euros)

That bike will be exactly what you need.

What you certainly don't need...
    Disk brakes (standard Vbrakes are lighter, cheaper and do the same job)
    500 euro suspension forks (you wont notice the diff between 100 e and 500 e forks)
    A tricked out light bike, you just need something reliable that will get you from A to B.

What you do need...
    A small mountain bike, not a 21 inch thing, 18 inch is good depending on your height, maybe a 16 inch, something you can throw around confidently and cycle properly.
    An inexpensive mountain bike (300 or less) once you get a bike that costs 800 euros (which is prob about 400 euros in the states) then you are scared to chip it, scared to even ride it, its pointless.

If you do get serious into mountain biking, then you get a serious bike, but for now I'd recommend a 300 euro Saracen, Kona or Specialized and don't get sucked into paying more, there are dealers here, and the competition is fairly good for those bikes so they won't be tooo overpriced.

There are many more good MTB shops in northern Ireland than the south, so if you're up to the trip you can pick up a good priced bike up there.

That sounds like a good plan.
    Would you recommend any shops if Cycle ways etc. are going to rip me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'm looking for a decent hybrid bike for touring France later this year and I'm getting quoted €450-€500 for a bike that 'wouldn't fall apart' (their words, not mine). Combined with the carriers and extras the cost will come to something ridiculous like €600 and I could still be getting a peice of crap for all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    I'm looking for a decent hybrid bike for touring France later this year and I'm getting quoted €450-€500 for a bike that 'wouldn't fall apart' (their words, not mine). Combined with the carriers and extras the cost will come to something ridiculous like €600 and I could still be getting a peice of crap for all I know.

Assuming you are willing to start your tour once you get there, you could wait and buy a bike after you arrive in France. There are Decathlon shops everywhere, including very close to the Ferries, and they have a wide range of bike types and prices. We got my son a mountain bike there on our last trip (about a year ago) and have been very happy with it.

Difficult to compare like for like, because they only stock their own brand (not sure who manufactures it), but it looked to me like their prices were somewhat lower there than comparable bikes here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by frost
    Assuming you are willing to start your tour once you get there, you could wait and buy a bike after you arrive in France. There are Decathlon shops everywhere, including very close to the Ferries, and they have a wide range of bike types and prices. We got my son a mountain bike there on our last trip (about a year ago) and have been very happy with it.

Difficult to compare like for like, because they only stock their own brand (not sure who manufactures it), but it looked to me like their prices were somewhat lower there than comparable bikes here

I'd considering doing that but only as a last resort. I'd like to be able to 'break' in my bike first rather than have problems in France.

I'm looking at a Claud Butler Legend at the moment, if anyone has any opinions on this bike or ideas where to get it on the cheap then let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I wouldn't trust cycle ways, Ive got two bikes off them in the past and both were put together badly and left me in hospital. The second one had breaks that were not assembled properly, less than ten minutes after I got the bike a bus pulled in right in front of me and when I pulled the breaks hard the cable just pulled out leaving me with a dislocated shoulder. In court the two owners lied through their teeth in the witness box while I told the story straight down the line. Their insurance company pays at the end of the day so they had no need to lie. Greedy ba5tards

So if not cycle ways, where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭MikeHunt

I reapeat - A R G O S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

but also cycle to work.

Bear in mind security too - the nicer the bike you get, the more riskier it is leaving it out.

Get a good lock, always secure to something fixed that it can't be lifted off of, remove and secure or take with you any quick-release items - wheel & seatpost, park in very public place, ideally near several better bikes ;-).

My personal approach is to use the expensive bike for touring etc when I know where the bike is all the time (ie, under me!) and use an old MTB when I have to leave it parked anywhere public. You can pick up a used MTB for very little from Buy & Sell, or free from a recycling centre or if you're so inclined, a skip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

yes Argos have good mountain bikes and their new 70s style choppers are groovey bear in mind cost of home delivery outside dublin is €31.50 :( still choppers look mad!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

byrnenj wrote:
    I'd like to get a fairly decent one and plan to cycle for leisure and to get fit, but also cycle to work.
    So it need to be road worthy and be able to take a few knocks?
    Any ideas where I can get something like this without getting ripped off?

Cheers!
    Just a small question - are you sure you need a mountain bike? For the things you mention above, a good hybrid would be a better fit (lighter and faster). Obviously if you are going to be doing serious off-road you need a mountain bike, but they are not the best bikes for leisure/fitness/commuting by a *long* way! If you did go for a hybrid, and you are looking at the upper end of the market, I could reccommend either the Trek FX series (more mountain-bikey, will also handle good condition trails) or a Specialized Sirrus (more road-bikey, needs asphalt), both of which I've had and used extensively. The point about getting stolen is also a good one, I had three Treks stolen before I got my current Specialized, and so I have (or had until it went walkies last weekend) a cheap 'Eurotrek Alpine' hybrid for my short commute and general

Cycle Ways are expensive, but I think they are generally good. They are also the only Specialized stockists in the Republic so you don't have a massive choice if you want to go with that (there is also a stockist in Belfast who is *substantially* cheaper as they sell at UK prices. TBH all bike shops in Ireland are a rip-off and generally by around the same amount (UK RRP + c. 20%). I don't think Cycle Ways are any worse about this, they just sell higher-end bikes so perhaps it is more apparent.

Best service I have ever seen is from Commuting Solutions in Rathmines, they have often fixed things for me for free, and I have never even bought a bike from them - I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy from them if they had what I wanted. They also do a good hybrid range and last time I was there had a Dawes Discovery 701 (which is a nice hybrid) for a quite good price.

McDonalds in Wexford Street are also good, and I've also bought bikes from Penny Farthing Camden Street and Hollingsworth in Stillorgan. TBH I'd ring around and buy wherever has the best price; you can always go where you want for the service anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

PS. You should really specify a price range if you want serious advice - you are getting suggestions anywhere from €99 to god-knows what. One if the bikes you linked to as something that would 'suit your needs' was a S-Works which are Specialized's absolutely top-end bikes in the thousands of euros price bracket!

Also - what is your commuting distance, what do you have to carry, and is it fragile (e.g. laptop), as this would have a bearing - laptop will have to go on your back, but if you have to carry a lot of papers this could go in panniers for example.

Advertisement