Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import duty/GLS question

Options
  • 21-07-2004 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I've recently purchased a used digital camera on ebay for €190 approx (inc. shipping). The seller marked the item as"returned goods" and put down $200 as the insurable amount. I've read previous threads about import duty etc, but
    will the "gift" rate of duty apply in this case ? The other worry I have is I suspect those embeciles GLS are delivering the package. It was posted by USPS global priority mail on 12th July and still no sign of anything. Am I correct in saying these parcels go to Germany in 4 days approx and then back to Ireland (another 2 days ?)
    As a small point of interest I purchased a jacket (marked as $30 on the customs form) from another ebay seller - sent by USPS airmail and delivered by an post. Took 3 working days to get here from the states. What is going on :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Packages under 4 KG are delivered by An Post. Usually only takes a few days.

Anything bigger goes via GLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

I think all global priority mail goes via GLS, regardless of weight. Besides, if the item was posted 10 days ago, and you still haven't received it, then you can be fairly sure GLS handled it. The 'continental trip' you mention is probably accurate - the item typically ships ex-USA in under 24 hours, but takes 6-7 days to traverse Europe - mine visited Germany, Greece, then Germany again before finally heading to Dublin.

Not sure about duty, but GLS do not negotiate - if duty applies to 'returned goods' you will be paying it.

I recommend the following:

1. Contact the seller and ask for a USPS tracking number.
    2. Ring GLS, but not on their standard line (you're package will probably arrive sooner than they answer) - do a search of boards.ie and you will get a list of direct lines that work. Try a few of these until you get a person to answer.
    3. Once you speak to someone, you will find that they are actually quite helpful. Ask them for a GLS tracking number (they issue their own, which becomes twinned with the USPS number, there is no recognisable similarity between them, fyi). Also ask them to give you a live status update - they can tell you more than you can find out via the web.
    4. If it is in Dublin, or is due in Dublin, your best bet is to offer to pick it up. Usually they can tell you what cash to bring (you have to pay an admin charge, believe it or not, plus custom duties and any applicable taxes), and when to pick it up (there is usally someone around until 7 or so).
    5. Bring the exact amount required - they have no cash office on site and there are no shops anywhere near them, so giving back change is difficult.

I would be willing to bet your item is on a shelf somewhere in GLS Dublin.

Advertisement