Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sendo-X and other smartphones

Options
  • 21-07-2004 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Ok here's the deal it will soon be upgrade time and Im thinking of binning my pocketpc and my current phone and investing in a smart phone - probably symbian based.

First question my preference on symbian is based on 2 things :

Wanting someting more PDA-like than Windows Mobile, and fond memories of my departed Psion Revo. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Secondly most of the current crop of smart phones are out coz either they dont take SD cards (I have a decent collection), or they have mono mp3 players (goodbye nokia 6600 and SE P900/910).

I reckon this leaves my only choice as the Sendo-X, which is due for release anytime now. So anyone had a play with one yet? It looks like it kicks ass??

Have I missed any other good smart phones??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, sorry not sure i understand what you mean by more PDA-like than Windows Mobile (as it's one of the main PDA OSs), is it specific PIM functionality you are after or any particular features the Revo offered over a Pocket PC?

there are a couple of MS Smartphone's that support SD e.g. i-Mate Smartphones and Moto MPx200, unfortunately the most promising model due out next, the Moto MPx220, is mini-SD

for Symbian based models using SD then Sendo is currently your 'choice' ... the Nokia's and Siemens SX 1 went for MMC based cards (regular and more recently reduced sized, although the SX 1 could fit an SD and apparently had the extra contacts, no review i've read got them working and Siemens only spec'ed it as supporting MMC), Sony Ericsson with Memory Stick based cards (Duo and Pro Duo in the future) - haven't much more to add in general on the Sendo X than this unless you had some specific Q's the linked review from AllAboutSymbian didn't cover...

i can see why the P900 is out for you as it uses MS Duo and not SD but just to mention it plays back in stereo when using the headphones

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Just to clarify my PocketPC comments - I like Windows Mob 2003, but in my opinion its a PC OS trying to perform some PDA functions - rather than a PDA OS with extra bells and whistles. It makes a great mini PC but for a great PDA (good phone connectivity out of the box for example) you need to add one or more 3rd party apps which I think is unacceptable. Its something my revo did seamlessly years ago.

Call it pining for psion if you like!

I am making the big assumption that the Series 60 reflects its Psion heritage tho...does it?

Of course I dont know if either Series 60 or PalmOS would be anybetter.

I accept that the particular bugbear above wouldnt exist in a smart phone tho!

Any further clarification welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

the term Personal Digital Assistant can have very different (and personal :)) meanings to different people...

if you were really after phone functionality 'out of the box' the other Windows Mobile Editions that Microsoft develop for devices that have phone capabilities integrated, like Pocket PC Phone Edition and Smartphone Edition, focus more on phone functionality/features - the Pocket PC Edition is a more generic as many people wouldn't use it with a mobile... but leaves you the option to enhance it if you do

anyhow, if your device has to support SD and be a non Windows Mobile device with integrated Phone and PDA functionality you've already focused your search down to a limited number of options...

the Sendo X as mentioned in the linked thread, includes a lot of extra apps out of the box compared to other Series 60 devices, you can review them on the Sendo site

comparing a Revo to a Series 60 device... the UI would be closer to a Series 80 (Nokia Communicator) but the intuitive interface is what the Revo was well known for and you could handle that then you should be ok with a Series 60 UI (bearing in mind the differences in terms of hardware, form factor and capabilities)

the other Phone with PDA functionality available at the moment that comes to mind and fits your requirements would be the Treo 600 Palm OS device, although the wait is on for the new model(s) expected from Palm One...

there are the phones like the Sharp GX-30 but they may be too much of a regular/basic handset (in terms of PDA capability) for your needs...

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

funnily enough Im looking at GX30 too, only trouble is its the size of a smart phone! If it was slightly smaller I'd keep my Axim and get one. Apart from the fact I reckon I'll get a Sendo-X long before the GX31/2 (non-voda version right?) appears. ;)

Cheers for ya thoughts

Advertisement