Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Derisory offer for written off car

Options
  • 22-07-2004 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago my car was robbed. Its a '93 Honda CRX Del Sol(1.5 VTEC, Jap import,72k). Little gets had the car for 2 days, during which they took off the alloys and replaced them with ****e wheels+tyres, pulled out my 300euro stereo (the face was in the glovebox) and wrote the car off. I was pretty philosophical about the wole thing until the insurance company (Hibernian) rang the other day to say the assessor they sent out to look at the car put a pre-crash value of 2500 euro on the car, when I was expecting 4k(I insured it for 5k)!:mad: The lowest price similar car currently for sale in Buy and Sell is as follows;

Honda CRX Del Sol 1.5 V-tec '95. Auto, 80k mls, convertible, silver, lovely sports car, needs about €500 work, hence price, first to see will buy, Price: €3,250

- all others are 4.5k+

In fairness to the girl on the phone she was pretty reasonable and told me to print the page with the cars advertised to her and she'd show the assessor. Nonetheless I am not taking anyhting for granted and would like to hear if anyone else had similar problems and how they deal with them. Also, if anyone knows the book value of the car, I'd appreciate the info.

Lastly, the tax disc was alsostolen, which was valid till end of October. Is there any way I can claim this money back(letter from cops etc.)?

Many thanks
    Sore Feet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by brocklanders
    Lastly, the tax disc was alsostolen, which was valid till end of October. Is there any way I can claim this money back(letter from cops etc.)?
    You might be able to, but there are some restrictions. If you can't, claim it on the insurance.

Have you included a claim for loss of transport / temporary transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Darren

Get down to the quack and have him look at your injuries.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by Darren
    Get down to the quack and have him look at your injuries.
    for a stolen car? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Darren

Sorry lads. I got distracted thinking about and accident I had a few months ago. The insurance made me a silly offer for my car so i made sure that I claimed the maximum for the injuries I got in the accident and made up the difference that way. I was slightly injured, If I had had a reasonable offer for the car I would probably not have bothered claiming for the injuries but when I saw the offer for the car I thought, 'Screw them', I'm claiming everything I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Settlement should be based on the blue book value of your car, makes no difference what value you declared when insuring or what other people are selling similar cars for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

When I was getting my insurance from FBD I made a point of asking what exactly my comprehensive insurance covered. I presumed it would be just the book value of the car which would have been around €15000. I didn't think the 4 or 5 grands of mods on it would be included. They told me however that I should be insuring it for the amount it would take to replace the car exactly as it is - all mods included. So I did. That said, it could be a whole different story when the time comes to pay up in the event of a crash...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

But unless you have the mods specified on the policy, the Ins. company wont cover them.

Ditto for even a simple change of radio - not mentioned on policy = not covered

Bear in mind that insurance companies may not have an accurate gauge of model prices esp. on imports and may erroneously be treating your more expensive version as a cheaper type - don''t let em:D

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Originally posted by Dan_B
    Settlement should be based on the blue book value of your car, makes no difference what value you declared when insuring or what other people are selling similar cars for.

Yep, you could insure your car for 20,000 Euro. Doesn't matter a damn, if the current market value of the car is only e.g. 5,000 Euro. Then you'll be lucky to get that!
    With this in mind. I don't fully understand why the insurance companies ask you for the value of the car
    (Maybe they're hoping you under-value the car, in which case that's the amount you'll get :D

DC.

Advertisement