Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

immediate insurance online

Options
  • 22-07-2004 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I see that many online direct insurers allow insurance to commence within a few hours of ordering online,

That looks great, and I suppose they snail mail the cert and disc,
    but meanwhile can I drive without a disc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Yer, as long as they have given you the go ahead, explicity said that you are covered. I'm not sure of the legal ins and outs of it, but it's usualy the same story with organising it by telephone, they'll be able to cover you immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Why not just go into your nearest branch? I feel with things like insurance its always better to go face to face with a rep.... just to be sure to be sure, y'know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

when I signed up for Hibernian online i got forms 2 days later - they said that if i didn't return the forms by a certain date then they would charge me €50 for 10 days insurance. Anyhoo once I sent the forms back I got my cert in 2 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

€50 for 10 days insurance

thats only €1825 a year, not bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I see that many online direct insurers allow insurance to commence within a few hours of ordering online,

That looks great, and I suppose they snail mail the cert and disc,
    but meanwhile can I drive without a disc?

Not sure (though that never stopped me posting a half baked opinion before) but I'd think that as soon as they agree to insure you, and you pay 'em, you're effectively covered.

Proving it, mind, is another point, but I'd think that they'd prolly give you a receipt doo-hickey that you could print off and keep as proof until the proper cert arrives in the snail-mail.

There's two things to consider, in other words

a) are you covered if you're in a crash. Almost certainly. You've paid the money and the receipt proves as much.
    b) are you dovered if the cops see the lack of thingy on the windscreen. I'd think so if you how 'em the print-off of temporary cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Originally posted by vector
    €50 for 10 days insurance

thats only €1825 a year, not bad :)
    I think so they get some money out of you either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Proving it, mind, is another point, but I'd think that they'd prolly give you a receipt doo-hickey that you could print off and keep as proof until the proper cert arrives in the snail-mail.

Aye, if you do get stopped by the guards, they'll ask you to produce your cert within 10 days at a station. By then it should have arrived in the post (get onto them to make sure it went out).

Ring them after you get your policy number (when you paid online), and confirm you're covered, just to be on the safe side. You should be though, it's the same as ringing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Once you get your insurance you will get your quote number which means you are Insured straight away. You just give the number if you are asked.

Advertisement