Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg penetration pic

Options
  • 22-07-2004 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Remember this obscene pic on the ComReg site?
    Penetration1.gif
    I don't mean the typo in "Qua(r)terly", but the lie with the penetration figure.

Well, today ComReg are admitting the truth. And it was about time. In a special publication note they spell it out:

"2.1 Residential Internet Penetration
    Data is quoted for all households unless otherwise stated.
    36% of all households have access to the Internet.

4 It should be noted that while ComReg’s Quarterly Review has previously reported both data for fixed-line households and all households, the top-line figure reported was for fixed-line households (46% in Q1 2004). For ease of comparison with official data from the CSO, ComReg will report a top-line figure for all households going forward."

While the reason they state for giving the relevant figure for Internet penetration from now on – as the OECD rule-book had always asked to do – is as pathetic ("For ease of comparison with official data from the CSO") as the excuse they give for having used the skewed figures up to the latest Quarterly Report ("was used by the European Commission in comparative surveys to 2003"), I hope that this development is the first step to abandon the misleading, self-praising and counterproductive spin in many of Comreg's presentations.

The little Comreg pdf document is here: http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0478b.pdf Page three contains the change of Comreg's definition of Internet Penetration.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by eircomtribunal
    Remember this obscene pic on the ComReg site?
    http://www.comwreck.com/images/blog_images/Penetration1.gif
    I don't mean the typo in "Qua(r)terly", but the lie with the penetration figure.
    Oooh, eer, and is that a condom in the graphic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The inclusion of ISDN as a broadband option means that some of the figures need to be treated with a bit of caution. A business surveyed may not answer ISDN in response to the question "what sort of broadband do you have?" if that business does not believe (correctly) that ISDN is a form of broadband.

Similarly with the Wireless lan figures. If a business uses a wireless lan, is that considered broadband by the survey? What if it is sharing out an ISDN connection by wireless lan. Is that business then counted as having broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

{83A81968-B8A5-4BE3-A0D9-EE9DE753959C}picture.gif

Saw this graph recently. It shows the "Growth of broadband connections in percent", from July 2002 to July 2003.

It nicely illustrates the nonsense of Comreg and the DCMNR bragging about the superb growth of Irelands broadband connections.

The figures only make sense when they are compared with the underlying figures of bb connections, which is not done in this graph, but one thing is clear: extremely high growth rates, like the Greek and the Irish indicate that these countries are seriously out of tune with the others.
    In other words, as a minister, if my country had a bb growth rate of some 600 percent, I would be very quiet about this figure. Those figures are the realm of countries like Uganda.

P.

Advertisement