Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realtones or Truetones

Options
  • 22-07-2004 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Looks like music realtones are on the way. Could be the saviour for the music industry where the sale of ringtones outstrips the sale of CD singles (in quantity and value). Many ringtones are slight variations of the orignal music composition so artists don't always see royalties from the sale of the tone.

Wit realtones, an artist can sell his/her music to the mobile phone population. Given that a ringtone is considerably shorter than a normal song but costs the same as a CD single (approx) music artists are on for a bit of a bonanza.

A possible problem is that record companies will tightly control the content and pricing. We've all seen what has happened with CD pricing.

Any thoughts on the future devlopment of real tones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I downloaded one onto a 3200 for a laugh and was shocked at how crap it was and how much it would have cost me if I'd actually had to pay for it. I've been told that I was unlucky with the quality of the one I got as some of them do sound good, but I am really not convinced who will pay that much money for such a tone. Surely it wont be hard to sample your own from a CD etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Most new (high end) phones will support .wav or .mp3 playback as ringtones. so most users who can connect their phone to a PC can transfer music from there PC to there phone, ive been doing it since december with my 6600, just grab a small portion of a song (mp3/mp4/ogg), convert it into wav (compress it a bit) and you have a real music ring tone. for free!

I have never paid for ringtones and never will, but by the amount of money spent on those damm adverts, Its obvious millions of people do.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Then again (probably at the insistence of the operators) there are some brand spanking new handsets coming out which are purposely crippled to help support ringtone sales.

Prime example is the Sharp GX30 which is a beauty of a phone with an incredible screen. It allows SD cards and plays MP3s very well. It just won't let you set them as your ringtone :)

Symbian seems like a good idea if you want a bit more control - like your 6600.

Advertisement