Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Srv 1 Packed - Srv 2 Empty & newbies

Options
  • 19-04-1999 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hey YuM!

Haven't played a huge amount lately - mostly just bits and pieces of games when time allows...

I've posted a fair amount about using server 2 - the problem arises when you log on to the net & check out who's playing, and where. Last nite I logged on and server 1 was 16/16 & all the boys were on (like yerself) so I used Gamespy's Busy Server Redial function (if you haven't used it, it is a must - no manual refreshes of the server to see if a space has opened, and it will automatically launch the game & reserve the free space for you) and waited for the game to load up.

This is where the problem is - I wait to get on server 1 cos server2 is empty. I really am not keen on getting on server 2 and waiting around for ages - but if I see even one person there i'll probably go for it, rather than wait for a space to free up on server 1. I guess I should ditch the busy server redial function and log on and wait & maybe others will follow smile.gif

as far as newbies & muppets go, it seems to me the standard is getting consistently higher. There have been several players, new to IGN who have been very good & some newbies who do ask questions and are willing to learn.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Clamor

Should a regular time not be set up for Srv2 where everybody will at least know to expect some one else on. Or just set up a regular game. Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Personally WHEN I HAVE TIME I always make a point of helping newbies. Rembering my initial steps into the game getting screamed at by teeth et al.

The problem is that we assume a basic level of intelligence which for some is too much.

I know for a fact that ppl who play on IGN who were a short time ago were newbies are progressing scaryly fast (sam spuds et al) through reading our posts here and just playing along every nite. While in the heat of battle we might not give a huge ammount away, the fact is that ppl who want to learn will learn, as we all have proven.

I remember when I first logged on and was like WTF, then over a month or so picked up stuff over playing. I never played quake or Duke on line so I had no track reckord, I just plodded around and learnet by mistakes, for example it took me about 2 weeks to figure out how to get the laser rifle - the whole energy back pack thing was above me smile.gif It isent fair to just say read the manual, those of us who have real copies know the manual sucks sad.gif its full of that D&D ****e).

Indeed I think we the Admins, we the EM members and all the regulars have a responsibility to get ppl into the game, even if its by pointing them to Brits site.

I still say you lot should all download game spy put the second server into it and chect it on startup, I know its the first server I look at now. Although its amazing what you pick up about command and offensive and defensive strategy whan you are a good player among newbies rather than fire-fighting teeths evil offensive schemes smile.gif

So server 1 is busy, The truth is that if server 2 was put up it would be busy at all peak times too. I reckon that the ammount of servers in europe, the UK and dear aul irelan' is at about 30 - 40% of what it should be. When a opening comes on the IGN
    or BW server it usually taken straight away.

jasus will I ever get any work done with this damn board here smile.gif

vagga[soon to be unemployed if I am not carefull smile.gif]bond

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

maybe I'm unlucky but I have tried all night and I cant gat a game - no one on BW cos of UKTL and IGN is full all night and the pings to the US are ****ty. You'd think that ppl would go to IGN 2 but no - no one there all nite either. seems gamespy isent that popular sad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

Few points / gripes.

Any chance of upping the player limit for Srv 1 again to, say 24 and dropping Srv 2 to 12.

The amount of times I've hammered on server 1 waiting for someone to drop while srv 2 is empty is cracking me up.

OK other gripe, some ppl want srv 2 as a 'private' no muppet server but this just lets the messers take over on 1 giving the IGN server a bad rep, yesterday there weren't enough reg's at times to kick the messers so games fell apart into TK'ing matches.

finally, the newbies (now & in the future) if there's nobody around who'll take a moment to tell em how to repair or plonk down a turret or show them what, where and how to play they'll follow the Kermit path to hell.. & shoutin 'READ THE FUKING MANUAL' isn't really helpful when they've just got the game and wanna play.

.... Thats my thoughts 4 the day ....

YuM

PS.. Some really good players visit Srv 1 at times, be a shame to miss em hiding on Srv 2.

[This message has been edited by YuM (edited 19-04-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Clamor

Maybe if the IGN 1 is full who ever is on it should agree to go as a group to IGN 2 (at least those that know about it anyway). That way you'll be assured that there's gona be somebody there.
    Any ideas.

Clamor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

lads we need an irc room somewhere!!
    then we can go "right lads go to irc" and tell the ones u want to play on serv2 to go there etc smile.gif

god u lads smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Sep is probably right.... We Tribes people really should use IRC as a massing point more, especially since it's no bother to keep an IRC window open at the same time as playing tribes, and check it between levels or whatever..... Since Dynamix were kind enough to build in an IRC client, we should be using it! smile.gif

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭SS 01 Ripper

well..if anyone wants to find me...not that anyone would, but hell...
    anytime i'm playing i'm my tribe's irc room.
    #starslayer_tribe
    on the dynamix irc server.

i kinda like that little bit that sends you any messages into the game that have been sent to you via private/whisper window...=)

Advertisement